Ohio Laws? Magazine round limits?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Ohio Laws? Magazine round limits?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2011, 04:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ohio Laws? Magazine round limits?

Thinking about getting a Kel Tec Sub 2000 9mm Glock version.

I need to know if those 33 round Magazines are legal in Ohio.
If I get the gun I want a couple extra Mags for it or maybe just one of those 33 rd mags. I'm not up on my gun laws at all.

Sence I'm at it, Anyone have one for sale??
Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-23-2011, 05:06 AM   #2

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Speaking state wide I don't think there are any laws about mag caps. But some cities have put some laws into effect. It seems Cincinnati was one that had a law about hi-cap mags. But it's been years since I lived up there so I don't know for sure. Your best bet would be to call your local LEO and ask them. This site might be able to answer your questions but you would be better off to talk to someone that knows the law first hand.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 10-23-2011, 05:34 AM   #3

Thanks DrumJunkie, I'm a GuitarJunkie myself.
I'm gonna read over that site & try to catch up on some of the laws. I'm really in southeastern OH, not Cbus so it's probably find here in the hills. 33 rds is a big mag though & figured with my luck it would be maybe a 32 rd limit or something.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:13 AM   #4

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedagoodername View Post
Thanks DrumJunkie, I'm a GuitarJunkie myself.
I'm gonna read over that site & try to catch up on some of the laws. I'm really in southeastern OH, not Cbus so it's probably find here in the hills. 33 rds is a big mag though & figured with my luck it would be maybe a 32 rd limit or something.
Ah another musician/noise maker...You'll find that a lot of things will fly out in the less inhabited areas. Man I"m glad I left the city The hills of south central Ky is where I call home these days. I find the flat part of the state pretty boring but it does make longer shots easier.

That sites info is usually real good. But I might still want to get some first hand info if I could if it was me.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 10-23-2011, 07:26 AM   #5

I'm not sure I'm a musician but I sure do love making noise. ,oh and go easy dude or I'll turn it to 11

Well I found this:
“Automatic firearm” means any firearm designed or specially adapted to fire a succession of cartridges with a single function of the trigger. “Automatic firearm” also means any semi-automatic firearm designed or specially adapted to fire more than thirty-one cartridges without reloading, other than a firearm chambering only .22 caliber short, long, or long-rifle cartridges.
Note: So any magazine that can hold more than 30 rounds other than a 22 caliber rim fire is considered an Automatic Weapon/Machine Gun,

So I'm assuming they are defining a "Automatic Weapon/Machine Gun" because it's illegal? I haven't really found where it says they are.

Oh well I think they have some in 15 or 16 rd so I'll probably end up just getting a couple of those. A 33rd mag may be a little awkward anyway.

Last edited by ineedagoodername; 10-23-2011 at 09:44 AM.

Old 10-23-2011, 04:41 PM   #6

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Another stupid law that doesnt make any sence, makes about as much sence as saying a car with racing style tires is a race car. Mag capacity has nothin to do with full auto capabilities of any firearm

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 10-23-2011, 05:55 PM   #7

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks
Another stupid law that doesnt make any sence, makes about as much sence as saying a car with racing style tires is a race car. Mag capacity has nothin to do with full auto capabilities of any firearm
Amen brother

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 10-23-2011, 09:31 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 234 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 29

FWIW, I have a Sub2000 (9mm, G17 magwell). Great gun. I have a few of the 30rd+ mags and they're fun for taking to the woods. But the standard flush-fit 17rd mags are what I prefer. And mine stays loaded with 17+1 JHPs, as a compact and practical low-medium powered HD rifle.

Buy that $300 rifle...add rubber finger grip sleeve, a sling, and some G17 mags (avoid the Korean aftermarkets)...and you're good to go for a great little utility rifle. I've found the 115gr +p type rounds perform best. Most seem to have slightly slower burning powders, allowing them to make use of that 16in barrel.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:10 AM   #9

Just came back and re-reading.Thanks for the info. I still don't have one of these yet but pretty much made up my mind that I will soon. I gotta wait till after Christmas atlest.
sweeper22, I've done some research and yea I think a sub2000 is a good buy for the cost and my needs.I work at night so my kids and wife are home alone. A short rifle like this in 9mm just makes more sence.I'll make sure they all get to learn how to shoot it.My wife has no experience with guns except I made her shoot a 20ga twice lol. It scared her to death and she hates guns but yet she has told me that yes she needs one.