Ohio couple saves beaten woman - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Ohio couple saves beaten woman

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2010, 02:41 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 52

We can what if this all we want. He could have or should have done this or that. Everyone is going to react to the same situation differently. He did what he thought was right. I am 6' 1" about 300lbs and am not someone many people would mess with. I have a different view on different things because of my size and strength, plus all of the different training I have had over the years, military and civilian course that I have attended.

Not everyone is going to want to spend the money to attend class for CPR/EMT much less a class like Thunder Ranch or Gunsite. Knowledge and experience play a big part in how people react, so does the way you were raised.

Either way they did what they thought they had to do to stop him. If you ever get a chance look up USE Carry or National Gun Rights and read about some of the other instance where a weapon was used to stop a crime.

ANYWAYS. Hope you all have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:19 PM   #12
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2132 Times on 1158 Posts
Likes Given: 770

Quote:
Originally Posted by armedanrdy View Post
i understand your veiw but if i were the first cop on the sean i would have arrested the couple that pulled there weapons. the you cant use your gun as a magic wand there was no reason to pull there guns they should be arrested but im still glad they help they could of takled the guy
"What ifs..." make us think. In that respect, they can be very useful.

So with that in mind, change the situation.

You have been backed into a corner by a larger and stronger assailant. He is beating on you relentlessly. You pull your weapon, whether or not you fire your weapon isn't important to the situation; but in one way or the other, your weapon ends the fight.

Firearm laws generally recognize defense of self or others. I would submit there is no reason not to justify the use of the weapon in that situation. Likewise, defense of another in a similar situation seems reasonable. So what would be the difference between the two situations?

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 12-10-2010, 06:36 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5654 Times on 2954 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Quote:
im glad the couple helped the woman that was being beating.however when you read the penal code there was no deadly force being used, so i dont understand wht they pulled there guns.
the human hand really is a for real no joke deadly weapon. people are killed all the time by getting struck in the head by the human hand. the reason modern boxers wear gloves today, they used to not wear them, is that people die frequently from blows to the head.

just yesterday a 67 year old man was punched and later died. a burger king worker killed him. there are numerous examples of this.

someone raises a fist that is deadly force. so yes anyone is justified to respond in kind to a raised fist in an attempt to strike.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-10-2010, 06:44 PM   #14
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2132 Times on 1158 Posts
Likes Given: 770

Quote:
study the law,if i was being beatin an pulled a gun to stop the fight .what if it didnt stop the fight and he tryed to take the weapon.now you may have to use the weapon when you could of ran.the penal code does not let wave a gun a round to stop a crime when they dont have a weapon they caught the guy and he didnt have a WEAPON
I have listened to a number of nationally known experts who would disagree with you.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 12-10-2010, 07:20 PM   #15

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
study the law,if i was being beatin an pulled a gun to stop the fight .what if it didnt stop the fight and he tryed to take the weapon.now you may have to use the weapon when you could of ran.the penal code does not let wave a gun a round to stop a crime when they dont have a weapon they caught the guy and he didnt have a WEAPON

Armedanrdy,

I think you need to stop being a back yard lawyer and telling people to “study” the law. That will not clear up much when trying to second guess the actions of another. Let me use your example of you being beaten in a fight. If you pull the weapon you better be prepared to use it period. You don’t pull it as you say as a “magic wand” and if you do then you should not be carrying a weapon. HOWEVER, if you feel that your life is threatened by the beating and you pull your weapon and cap the guy you are in the right by “I was in fear for my life”. Now you need to be able to articulate why you were in fear of your life. You don’t know what was happening other than the reported beating. You don’t know if they guy was 6 foot 4 inches, 300 pounds and was using full fist and kicks in the beating (I have seen this). The woman could have been 5 foot tall and 90 pounds wet and could not defend herself. Would pulling a gun on this guy be appropriate.. sure. As for the statement about arresting the couple for pulling their weapons when someone was being beaten, well no LEO worth his salt would even consider that.

Scubie

Old 12-10-2010, 07:27 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I would have to refer to that old saying about "better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6" and expand it to include "or having to be one of the 6".

CYA is great, up to the point somebody might get killed, IMO.

Further, if you have to shoot somebody to save your own life, there shouldn't be anybody left to dispute your version of events, given decent shot placement.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:39 PM   #17

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm glad they helped the woman out. I have female family members who are victims of domestic abuse. Lets remember people we are on a forum for( gun owners). How many of you would get involved if you weren't armed. Would they have got involved if they weren't armed. This story had a happy ending but many don't . A guy i went to college with was killed trying to defuse a domestic dispute he was killed by the woman he was helping. That like many other situations made a turn for the worse. It's sad to say but sometimes LEO's don't get involved or even show up to domestic calls, especially if its the same address. Oh yeah i saved this part of the story for all the gun toting superheros we have on this forum. The women was his own SISTER. That could have went either way the couple is lucky they weren't arrested and I'll bet the officer or someone in that department read them the riot act and just didn't talk about it.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:54 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
do either of you have a ccw license.do you know the responsibility,do you know what the penal code says.not rumars from a wannabe ccw holder web site.boxing is a sport by the way
I LOL'd. I don't think Scubie has to have a CCW due to his job. I do think he has to have, at least, a passing familiarity with the penal code.

I hear Boxing Day is a holiday in Canada.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:18 PM   #19

It is really frustrating to see a couple of posts questioning a situation where a couple of caring individuals has saved a women from a bareknuckle beating. Get over it -- it is fantastic when people have the courage and wherewithal to stand up for the well-being of themselves and their fellow citizens.

Smokin

Old 12-10-2010, 08:27 PM   #20

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Further, if you have to shoot somebody to save your own life, there shouldn't be anybody left to dispute your version of events, given decent shot placement.
Indeed.

I CC and the gun would be the very last thing I pull for defense. On observation of the incident, after a call to 911, you would think the husband would have stepped in and curtailed the beating situation, but if the guy continued to be violent or started assaulting the husband, the wife could have drawn her weapon, they were both CCing.

Just saying....

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Closed Thread