Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > OC guy robbed at gunpoint

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2010, 08:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default OC guy robbed at gunpoint

Quote:
Man Legally Carrying Gun Robbed at Gunpoint

By Melanie Stout

MILWAUKEE - A Milwaukee man found out the hard way that carrying a gun for protection doesn't always keep you safe. In fact, it may have made him a target.

The 34-year-old man legally owned a handgun and carried it out in the open in his holster for protection.

Neighbors say they knew he was always armed.

"It was kind of scary to just see him walking around all the time with that gun kind of just out in the open," said Shambria Mayham Autman. She lives near Teutonia and Good Hope and said they called him "The guy with the gun."

But it wasn't scary for at least one person who robbed "The guy with the gun" at gunpoint.

"I think he was trying to scare people off like, 'Yeah, don't mess with me,' kind of attitude, but it didn't work," Mayham Autman explained.

The president of Wisconsin Carry, Nik Clark, says 100's of thousands of people open carry and he's never heard of anything like this.

"So it really is a very unusual situation, very unique," Clark said.

The victim didn't want to go on camera but said he carried the gun because he had been jumped and held up at knife point in the past. He believes, in his case, open carry made him a target and he will no longer do it.

He said his case proves gun owners should have the right to carry concealed weapons.

Clark agrees. "By and large it is a significant deterrent, open carry is, but I think it really does make the point that Wisconsin should have concealed carry along with open carry so that people who live in a very high crime neighborhood where criminals aren't deterred by firearms would have the ability to conceal carry to protect themselves. The two really work hand in hand," Clark said.

Man Legally Carrying Gun Robbed at Gunpoint | Today's TMJ4 - Milwaukee, Wisconsin News, Weather, Sports, WTMJ | Local News

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-13-2010, 08:31 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

That is pretty bold to walk up to someone you can see is armed and threaten them. Maybe he snuck up on him and caught him off guard. If he can't unholster the thing it's useless.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 06-13-2010, 08:35 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Situational Awareness!

Having a weapon doesn't mean crime is going to take a holiday, or that you have a "Protect Self/50 foot radius" charm. It doesn't do a damn bit of good if someone catches you not paying attention.

That's like having all the tea in the China, but being stranded in the desert with no water in site. Not going to do you a lot of good.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:10 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Situational Awareness!

Having a weapon doesn't mean crime is going to take a holiday, or that you have a "Protect Self/50 foot radius" charm. It doesn't do a damn bit of good if someone catches you not paying attention.

That's like having all the tea in the China, but being stranded in the desert with no water in site. Not going to do you a lot of good.
x100 on that! If you don't know what is going on around you, you cannot protect yourself from it, doesn't matter what your carrying.
I can't really agree with the statement that this guy open carrying made him a target, it's possible but ...

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-13-2010, 09:14 PM   #5

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I've made the point that if someone is the only person OC'ing within the sight of a criminal, then that person becomes a target. He's lucky robbery was the only thing that happened. The bad guy could have easily walked up behind him and put one behind his ear. Dead OC guy and an extra gun for the bad guy. Now, if there are several persons OC'ing in the same area, the criminal would most likely vacate the area.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 06-13-2010, 10:43 PM   #6

Liked 1630 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 1086

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
x100 on that! If you don't know what is going on around you, you cannot protect yourself from it, doesn't matter what your carrying.
I can't really agree with the statement that this guy open carrying made him a target, it's possible but ...
Let's face it. There are nut cases out there who aren't afraid of anything.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:42 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Crazy people are abundant in numbers. I'll probably never oc even if it was legal here out by myself. If it were an oc event with lots of folks involved I would.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:32 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8314 Times on 3594 Posts
Likes Given: 1275

Most people are 3-4 seconds into a mugging before it starts to sink in.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:44 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Most people are 3-4 seconds into a mugging before it starts to sink in.
Nah, I'm sunk well in after I hit them. Usually psyched up during the planning as well.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:59 AM   #10

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I still contend that if you carry or have a firearm in the home for protection and you don't run scenarios and drill then you will not rise to the occasion in the event of an attack or home invasion, you will defer to the level of training you have received and practiced.

Awareness and training build confidence!! Key factors in self defense.

People get the government they deserve.