Observer of Road Rage Incident - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Observer of Road Rage Incident

View Poll Results: What action should be taken by an armed observer?
Call 911 21 60.00%
Tell them to separate 1 2.86%
Stay out of it entirely 10 28.57%
Shoot both and let God sort it out 0 0%
Open 6 pack and place bets 7 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2014, 04:35 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 845 Times on 530 Posts
Likes Given: 257

Quote:
What say you FTF? As a licensed handgun carrier, what actions should I have taken
Do what you would have done if you did not have a firearm, if you were concerned ring the police. I see the fact that someone is armed as irrelevant.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:31 PM   #22

Liked 576 Times on 341 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
Although the modern technology is nice, it is also distracting.

On my cell phone I can dial 911 just by pressing a button.

From that point on, I would be talking into the phone while I watch what is going on.

If any of the belligerents were then to approach me, it would then be time to start the 4 point draw -- that's also why it's best always to hold the phone in your non-shooting hand --

-- grasp the pistol firmly in the tang of the grip

-- if deemed appropriate draw to the hip position

-- etc.

Anyone approaching you as you were in the process if making a call and reporting a situation is a dead give away of their aggressive nature and intent.

I like drawing to the hip in that case, because the pistol is still protected by being close to you.

The next obvious action would be to shout to the person to stop right there.

If they continue to advance however, that serves as an assault, and you should in no case let them get closer than 7 yards.
You're going to start a 4 point draw if someone so much as approaches you?! I think I might give a warning first. But, to each Wyatt Earp his own.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-26-2014, 06:37 PM   #23

Liked 355 Times on 261 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernandoTheCommando View Post
You're going to start a 4 point draw if someone so much as approaches you?! I think I might give a warning first. But, to each Wyatt Earp his own.
The first point of the 4 points is to grasp your pistol in the tang -- without drawing it out.

Yes, that would be exactly what I do.

Their observation of your pistol and your firm grip on it should be warning enough to them.

The NEXT command to them would be for them to stop. However I have got to believe most everyone would be smart enough to stop, at that point.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:40 PM   #24

Liked 355 Times on 261 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
Do what you would have done if you did not have a firearm, if you were concerned ring the police. I see the fact that someone is armed as irrelevant.
Being armed enhances your ability to defend yourself if necessary, and therefore lends itself to calling-in the incident while in progress and observing what is happening, rather than running away like a wet hen.

Some have suggested running away and not getting involved at all. Hurray for them -- may they receive their wish when no one does anything during their own time of need.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:47 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 845 Times on 530 Posts
Likes Given: 257

Quote:
Being armed enhances your ability to defend yourself if necessary, and therefore lends itself to calling-in the incident while in progress and observing what is happening, rather than running away like a wet hen.
My point is just because you are armed should not affect your decision on what is the right and sensible thing to do.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:10 PM   #26
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post

Some have suggested running away and not getting involved at all. Hurray for them -- may they receive their wish when no one does anything during their own time of need.
so anytime we see two people arguing, we are suppose to involve ourselves into what may be a private matter?

just how many fights did you break up this week?
stag556 Likes This 
Old 07-26-2014, 08:50 PM   #27
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 10979 Times on 4756 Posts
Likes Given: 1805

Quote:
how many fights did you break up this week?
Just one. I said "Yes, dear- you are right. I'm sorry."

People Like This 
Old 07-26-2014, 10:15 PM   #28
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 8900 Times on 5324 Posts
Likes Given: 11898

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
None of my business. Why should the police be called every time two people get in a fight? It's possible one or both of the DB's need their head thumped, maybe then they won't be so quick to get out and start something and maybe, just maybe they will stop driving like a dumb ass if they get their gourd thumped.
I was going to get out of the car, grab each perp by the ear and drag them away from each other, scolding them the whole way but Balota wouldn't let me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Just one. I said "Yes, dear- you are right. I'm sorry."

You are very wise, C3. Very wise, indeed.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-26-2014, 10:27 PM   #29

Liked 5012 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
As I was driving through downtown Tulsa, I came up to a traffic light. There were two cars parked in the right lane with occupants outside the vehicles yelling at each other. One got back in his vehicle, so the guy behind him jumped in his vehicle. Second guy drove quickly to the empty space beside the first guy and started yelling at the first guy and trying to call him out to a fight. When the light changed the second guy raced off, turned in front of the first guy and proceeded into a parking lot. First guy braked to avoid the second guy and then drove away. That's all I know.

What say you FTF? As a licensed handgun carrier, what actions should I have taken?
None...

Even if blows had been exchanged... Still do nothing.

The is a difference between assault and mutual combat. Never intervene in mutual combat.

A forced violent assault with a victim in risk of serious bodily injury is another situation all together but it does not sound like what you witnessed rose to anything of that magnitude.

Tack
People Like This 
Old 07-27-2014, 08:51 AM   #30
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
None...

Even if blows had been exchanged... Still do nothing.

The is a difference between assault and mutual combat. Never intervene in mutual combat.

A forced violent assault with a victim in risk of serious bodily injury is another situation all together but it does not sound like what you witnessed rose to anything of that magnitude.

Tack
i can agree with this. if both parties decide to pull over into a parking lot and duke it out over who was right or wrong about whatever implied wrong was committed, then what business is of mine? simple answer, NONE!

now if someone gets out of their vehicle and is attempting to haul another driver out of theirs and wailing away on them, then that is an entirely different matter in which i can see getting involved after calling 911 and reporting it.

in the first scenario, i could really care less if the beat the crap out of each other. they both made a decision to stop, get out of their vehicles and confront one another. either one of them could have simply kept driving on.