Observer of Road Rage Incident
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Observer of Road Rage Incident

View Poll Results: What action should be taken by an armed observer?
Call 911 21 60.00%
Tell them to separate 1 2.86%
Stay out of it entirely 10 28.57%
Shoot both and let God sort it out 0 0%
Open 6 pack and place bets 7 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2014, 03:07 AM   #1
I used to play keyboards, but now ...
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3234 Times on 1952 Posts
Likes Given: 3096

Default Observer of Road Rage Incident

As I was driving through downtown Tulsa, I came up to a traffic light. There were two cars parked in the right lane with occupants outside the vehicles yelling at each other. One got back in his vehicle, so the guy behind him jumped in his vehicle. Second guy drove quickly to the empty space beside the first guy and started yelling at the first guy and trying to call him out to a fight. When the light changed the second guy raced off, turned in front of the first guy and proceeded into a parking lot. First guy braked to avoid the second guy and then drove away. That's all I know.

What say you FTF? As a licensed handgun carrier, what actions should I have taken?

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-26-2014, 03:14 AM   #2

Liked 561 Times on 334 Posts

I think you did the right thing by not getting involved. Call the police next time. Unless that person is being beaten badly (depending on what state you live in) I wouldn't intervene. You never know what caused the argument and you could go to jail just for drawing a weapon. No need to go on the offensive, as a ccw holder, unless someone's life is in danger and you are sure you won't face severe legal ramifications.

NC1760 Likes This 
Old 07-26-2014, 03:17 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 354 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 186

I'm not sure what you mean "what actions should you have taken?" Are you asking if because you carry a gun that you should have gotten involved in there shouting match, and tried to stop them from yelling at each other?

Old 07-26-2014, 03:21 AM   #4

Liked 2158 Times on 1182 Posts
Likes Given: 1394

If there was no violence, no one in danger, then there was nothing for you to do. Hurt feelings is not a reason to shoot someone.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
NC1760 Likes This 
Old 07-26-2014, 03:24 AM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

IMO, nothing. no crime was being committed and it seems it was a private matter between two strangers. at most, maybe calling the police and giving them a location and the events you observed and let them worry about it.
NC1760 Likes This 
Old 07-26-2014, 03:35 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6792 Times on 3610 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
As I was driving through downtown Tulsa, I came up to a traffic light. There were two cars parked in the right lane with occupants outside the vehicles yelling at each other. One got back in his vehicle, so the guy behind him jumped in his vehicle. Second guy drove quickly to the empty space beside the first guy and started yelling at the first guy and trying to call him out to a fight. When the light changed the second guy raced off, turned in front of the first guy and proceeded into a parking lot. First guy braked to avoid the second guy and then drove away. That's all I know.

What say you FTF? As a licensed handgun carrier, what actions should I have taken?
take down description of vehicles plates and combatants call 911 relay info and then stay out of it. there are no good actors in mutual road rage. a description and plate being a good witness is all you need to do.

two grown man-babies going at it and you jumping in there makes three man-babies at that point.

dont be a man-baby

Observer of Road Rage Incident - Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
People Like This 
Old 07-26-2014, 03:35 AM   #7

Liked 3323 Times on 1496 Posts
Likes Given: 3062

None of my business. Why should the police be called every time two people get in a fight? It's possible one or both of the DB's need their head thumped, maybe then they won't be so quick to get out and start something and maybe, just maybe they will stop driving like a dumb ass if they get their gourd thumped.
Balota Likes This 
Old 07-26-2014, 03:36 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

In the actual event, the two guys separated and I left with no involvement. But the situation could have turned out several other ways. Verbal jousting, fisticuffs, one-sided beat down, vehicular assault, etc. The purpose of the thread is to discuss reasonable actions by an observer.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-26-2014, 03:46 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6792 Times on 3610 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
In the actual event, the two guys separated and I left with no involvement. But the situation could have turned out several other ways. Verbal jousting, fisticuffs, one-sided beat down, vehicular assault, etc. The purpose of the thread is to discuss reasonable actions by an observer.
you should still have reported it. there have been incidents of an argument that culminated days later into murder.

having a ccw is for your personal protection and your family's. its not to allow you to act as a law enforcer. im former military police, been there done it. nowadays i ccw everyday and avoid other people's bs like the freekin plague. i tend to call 911 2-3 times a year reporting incidents and dangerous people driving stupidly.

last time was some assclown dragging his 7 year old daughter behind his truck with her in a barbie car tied to the hitch with poly rope... my ccw doesnt mean i need to get involved anymore than dialing 911 if im not at risk

balota,

i wasnt calling YOU a man-baby just trying to illustrate how stupid getting involved in such an incident would be
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Last edited by JonM; 07-26-2014 at 03:50 AM.
People Like This 
Old 07-26-2014, 03:57 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

No problem Jon, I got that. In the actual event, I was definitely not going to get out of my vehicle since I was open carry at the time. I had no intention of introducing the presence of a gun, in the holster or otherwise, into such a situation.

I obviously have a lot of work to do on my observational skills. I cannot remember even vehicle colors or types, much less tag numbers.