O Home On The Range

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > O Home On The Range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 11:01 AM   #1
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 919 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 228

A fifteen hour work day yesterday, capped a flurry of horse barn activity over the past weeks, turning the barn, into an indoor pistol range for Concealed Carry instruction for the State of Nebraska.

While the project is not completed, it is now usable.

First class hits the range in about nine hours.

Backstop is eight foot tall railroad ties, that weigh a ton. These are the most solid RR ties I have ever worked with.

They are two deep and staggered, so seams lead to the center of another RR tie. Behind that a steel wall, thin steel, a dirt hill, and a 600 acre wildlife management area.

As the CRSO of this range, I wish it were perfect, which it is not. But it should be safe as safe can be, and be a good place to qualify for a concealed carry permit.

Targets are bullet boxes, designed to stop and hold .22 LR lead and copper from ever reaching the backstop.

Traps are constructed of plywood, 3/4" horse stall mat, 6" of sand, dirt, plywood, steel.

forumrunner_20131103_055255.jpg  

Last edited by AR10; 11-03-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Triumphman Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-03-2013, 01:27 PM   #2

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Just make sure you have an adequate ventilation system and filtered air. If not you are open to a law suite. We use an approved shooting range which is a government owned and approved by the Health and Safety Act.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #3

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 35

AR10 That is one nice setup you got going there.
Del

Old 11-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5508 Times on 2875 Posts
Likes Given: 357

i hate to be a damper but railroad ties are like shooting a brick wall bullet bounce back is a real issue with them.

what a lot of ranges do is get a lot of shredded tire material and use that as a trap material. the range over in racine has concrete filled cinder block walls with angled steel plate into piles of shredded tire.

at a minimum i would strongly suggest angling he ties forward so bullets deflect into the ground.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-04-2013, 09:23 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1504 Times on 1019 Posts
Likes Given: 525

A magnum pistol can split the railroad ties. I might leave them there but I would put rubber mats over them. They are going to take a lot of rounds in time. I would also consider a ventilation system. It would be sad to start making a decent profit to have it shut down.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 11-04-2013 at 09:26 AM.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:41 PM   #6
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 919 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
i hate to be a damper but railroad ties are like shooting a brick wall bullet bounce back is a real issue with them.

what a lot of ranges do is get a lot of shredded tire material and use that as a trap material. the range over in racine has concrete filled cinder block walls with angled steel plate into piles of shredded tire.

at a minimum i would strongly suggest angling he ties forward so bullets deflect into the ground.
I notice 22s tend to bounce. Looks like this will be a barrier to keep bullets inside the barn, but will Ned another layer of something to avert the bounce.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:15 AM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have seen lot worse 'ranges' so good for you to go to this effort!

I suggest you read some NRA & government range design papers and some by NRA range designer Clark Vargas. Please google "blue sky rule" for shooting ranges.

Please understand that as pretty as this is it is not safe. 8' is not high enough backstop, there is no backstop for the 5-10 degree sideways off center shooting that is required, no baffling to catch bullets shot high, etc.

It is very encouraging that you say you have YOUR OWN PROPERTY behind this building as the real backstop - hopefully it is the required 3-5000 feet deep before anyone else's property or paths for folks to walk around the wildlife area while shooting.

Last edited by phillip69; 11-22-2013 at 12:18 AM.