NY non-resident permit,do or dont they exist? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > NY non-resident permit,do or dont they exist?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 10:57 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Their hard asses there. I was informed by the state police in Broome county , there was no legal way for me for me to transport a handgun in any condition through the fine state of NY without risking being thrown in jail. Thing is if I weren't already a CCW holder and stopped they would prob never know. What the hell happened to the second amendment in NY state? Well at least the cops and criminals can protect themselves.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:29 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

New York City has always been notoriously against self-defense even in fist fights against muggers who got hurt in the process. NYPD always arrests the victim in such a case instead of the perps. Now imagine with weapons. I was born and raised in NYC (Harlem) and I hate the political hypocrisies there; truly a judicial scale that tips their way. Residents and hard-working, quiet tax-payers be damn. And the police force are always brave in their brutality with peaceful people than they are ever with gangs and drug-dealers, who they avoid with caution and trepidation.

Last edited by PanBaccha; 06-05-2012 at 11:33 AM.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #13

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamTF View Post
Their hard asses there. I was informed by the state police in Broome county , there was no legal way for me for me to transport a handgun in any condition through the fine state of NY without risking being thrown in jail. Thing is if I weren't already a CCW holder and stopped they would prob never know. What the hell happened to the second amendment in NY state? Well at least the cops and criminals can protect themselves.
Well whatever State cop told you that doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. It's completely legal to transport any legally owned handgun in NYS including the City (as long as you do not stop) if it's in a locked box, separate from ammo and not accessible to driver or passengers.

Jeff Cooper

Old 06-05-2012, 10:48 PM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

That's what I was told by NYs finest over the phone. He added if he caught me he would put me in jail and I would be his fourth that year (May 2011). I wasn't going to debate the subject over the phone and I sure as hell didn't want to do it in person.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:17 AM   #15

Sounds like he's one of the too many anti-gun cops we have here in NY. You can look up the regulations on line which I have done and I know he's full of s%t! He's trying to discourage you from exercising your rights, few as they are in this crappy State.

Jeff Cooper

Old 06-06-2012, 04:53 AM   #16

Liked 3740 Times on 1828 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Technically a pistol has to be transported in a locked container, separate from ammo, in a lockable compartment of the vehicle. Being that I drive a Wrangler that is not technically possible , so if I were to travel through NY with my pistol an azzhat cop like the one you spoke with could arrest me.

Sooooo .......... ooooo glad I moved out of that stinking shithole of a state (no offense to those that live outside of NYC and it's other cities, you all are more like the rest for the fine folks found all around the country).

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 06-06-2012, 12:23 PM   #17

I have a Grand Cherokee and it's much the same. If you read the regulations carrying any firearm in the cargo area, locked in a box it legal. Can't wait to move to PA and not have to even consider this kind of crap any more!

Jeff Cooper

Old 06-07-2012, 03:19 AM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

We drive a Suburban so same goes. I didn't need the potential hassle man. I ask him about breaking down the pistol to an innoperable condition and seperate containers (no go). His answer -Take the Great Bend exit and stay out of NY. My answer- thank you for your time officer.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:20 AM   #19

He was a misinformed, anti-gun dick.

Jeff Cooper

Old 06-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #20

Liked 88 Times on 56 Posts

Wow. I don't miss NY at all. I moved from the Finger Lakes region to NH Seacoast region. Yay.

A lot of you have been correct here. NY does not issue non-resident permit. And the Sheriff's office is the CCW office. Although the cost of getting a CCW in NY is ridiculous and not worth it. NH CCW permit is $10 and is valid for 4 years. Not that you need a permit to purchase or open carry one. Only need it to conceal it (also needed to transport loaded in a vehicle). Plus, 22+ other states recognize our CCW and allow us to carry there. NY is NOT one of them.

That police officer is 100% incorrect about traveling through NYS with a handgun. You can travel through as long as your handgun is locked is a separate container from your locked ammo you are all good. Your center console and globe compartment are not examples of locked containers BTW. NJ had a similar issue with a police officer and the gentleman was thrown in jail. He then fought it in court and WON.

I am a PI and my wife is a LEO so we never have to worry about NYS when we come home!