Notifying law enforcement of concealed weapon - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Notifying law enforcement of concealed weapon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2010, 05:23 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1434 Times on 811 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I just re-read this thread and I must say there is a ton of bogus chit being spread around.

Please if you are going to quote law or make a statement as to your states requirements, post a damn reference!

Here is a codification of the state's laws in Cliff Notes form;

Handgunlaw.us

This is NOT the where-with-all and end-all of laws, they change, but so do the updates to this site and it beats most of your memories because this thread is empirical data to that fact!

You want some sage advice? Go to the site and click on your state, print out a copy of what is posted and read the damn thing!

Then put a copy in your wallet or glove box. You never know when a rookie may need a refresher course. At least you can explain the reason you are conducting yourself in this manor.

Plus, let me explain the "Must Inform Officer" rule.

If your state does not require you to inform the officer, there is a reason for that law. Not to go into all 57 state's (noboma reference) individual reasons for this legal section but know what your state's requirement is, and don't violate it and abide by it. [Changed to reflect Scubies explanation, thanks DZ, and the Dude ABIDES!]

Here in Florida we are NOT a "Must Inform Officer" state. I therefore don't go volunteering info I am not required to provide. It's the damn LAW!

Now on the other hand, should the LEO ask you if you are armed, then you must inform him.

I have only been pulled over twice carrying and both times the LEO noticed I kept my hands on the 12 o'clock position of the steering wheel. Both asked me if I was armed and I responded in the affirmative. Generally the next question is "where is it?"

Both LEO's thanked me for my demeanor during the stop and there was no problem. As a matter of fact I caught a break on both stops! One was a 92 in a 65 which is reckless driving here in FL!

Ladies/Gentlemen if you are going to carry, Please know your laws and rights!

Henry Ford II used to say, "Never complain, never explain!"

canebrake says, "Always answer any question as if it were a police interview. Answer with an economy of words and NEVER volunteer anything!"

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 02-04-2010 at 06:33 AM.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:44 AM   #22

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Cane with all due respect and consideration I will disagree with you on a very minor interpatation of the law. If the law says you do NOT have to tell an officer you are armed then you do not have to, however, if you do you are not violating the law.

To be honest in todays world not telling an officer you are armed can be dangerous to you. When I deal with people on duty I am always looking at the subject I am talking to and looking for concealed weapons, I do this as a matter of training and experience. If I am unaware that a subject is a lawful (pending verification of possession of a CCP) as he/she has not told me and I observe a weapon or what I believe to be a weapon I could (depending on the circumstances of the stop or interaction) respond in a manner you, and many others on this forum, would believe to be a violation of your rights. Try and understand that when LEO's are on duty they are at a major disadvantage as we don't know who is armed, however, the public and BG's all know we are armed. The more the public helps us (by informing us of the presence of a weapon) the less likely we are to respond agressivly to the interduction of an unknow (weapon) into a situation.
All I ask is try and see it from our side.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:28 AM   #23

Liked 1434 Times on 811 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzscubie View Post
Cane with all due respect and consideration I will disagree with you on a very minor interpatation of the law. If the law says you do NOT have to tell an officer you are armed then you do not have to, however, if you do you are not violating the law.

To be honest in todays world not telling an officer you are armed can be dangerous to you. When I deal with people on duty I am always looking at the subject I am talking to and looking for concealed weapons, I do this as a matter of training and experience. If I am unaware that a subject is a lawful (pending verification of possession of a CCP) as he/she has not told me and I observe a weapon or what I believe to be a weapon I could (depending on the circumstances of the stop or interaction) respond in a manner you, and many others on this forum, would believe to be a violation of your rights. Try and understand that when LEO's are on duty they are at a major disadvantage as we don't know who is armed, however, the public and BG's all know we are armed. The more the public helps us (by informing us of the presence of a weapon) the less likely we are to respond agressivly to the interduction of an unknow (weapon) into a situation.
All I ask is try and see it from our side.
Scubie, I could not agree with you more!

BUT, if you stopped me and you (as stated in the red highlighted text above) spotted my concealed weapon, then it must not be concealed (putting me in violation of the law) and therefore I deserve your response!

This is not an argument and it must be noted that I'm from a Not Required to "Must Inform Officer" state and you serve in a "Must Inform Officer" state.

We are both arguing law with the same "good intention". My decision is based on the law that does not require me to inform and am merely obeying that law. I'm not hiding any wrong doing or 'getting over' on a LEO, just exercising my rights.

I wish all your traffic stops to be as dangerous as stopping this 63 yo pussycat!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 02-04-2010 at 06:37 AM.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:36 PM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10278 Times on 4434 Posts
Likes Given: 1630

Here in Virginia, CHL is conencted in the computer to your Operator's license. However, until they run my license, they do not know that. run the plate on my car, you get the leasing company it belongs to.

PURELY my own opinion- (your mileage may vary)- I don't need to be spiking anyone's blood pressure. I have hit a few DUI or license checkpoints. My CHL is next to my Operator's License in my wallet. If it is night, flip on the dome light. Have both licenses in hand, other hand on wheel.

"Evening, officer. Concealed weapons license holder." HAND him the two.

The responses I have had have ranged from "Oh- OK" to "Thanks for letting us know." If I DID have someone go Rambo on me, I WILL have his butt walking a foot beat out at 168th St and Plowed Ground. But have had a CHL for more than 10 years, and carried as LEO for much longer than that.

Again, purely my opinion- but there are some scary people that LEOs meet, and I do not need to be scaring the hell out of the nice young deputy.

PS- for those that missed the post, on a pretty Saturday afternoon, took the GrandUrchin down for a tour of the VA State Capitol Bldg. Metal Detectors. Once again- "Afternoon, officer...." He checked the permit, smiled, said "Thanks- just walk around the metal detector, and enjoy the tour."

Last edited by c3shooter; 02-04-2010 at 01:39 PM.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:08 PM   #25

Liked 358 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Please if you are going to quote law or make a statement as to your states requirements, post a damn reference!

<------snip------->

Here in Florida we are NOT a "Must Inform Officer" state. I therefore don't go volunteering info I am not required to provide. It's the damn LAW!
Ahhhhemm...... And where's the reference?

Good thread. I've haven't been stopped for many, many years now (outgrew the lead foot) so I can't really say how I would proceed, other than keeping within the state statute. Our CCW is tied to our drivers license, but I'm pretty sure it will come up once they run the vehicle plates anyway. So most likely I'm going to be asked as soon as the officer gets to my vehicle, at which time it will be a moot point. Otherwise it will probably be don't ask - don't tell.

I will say that in the past - when I did get stopped..... the LEO's around here have been nothing but polite and professional. I just hope it stays that way!

Old 02-04-2010, 11:19 PM   #26

I just kept my hands on the wheel in plain sight and told the officer that I had a CCW. He asked for my registration and I warned him that my pistol was in the dash. He said to go ahead and get the registration but to be careful. It was not a problem. I think you are supposed to tell them in NC. I think it is linked to your tag as well.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:21 PM   #27

Here in Michigan we must inform the L.E.O. if we are carrying, if we are not carrying we do not have to inform the L.E.O., however I have learned through others that it is best to tell them you have a CCW even if you do not have the pistol on you or in your vehicle. I have had more than a few friends who have been stopped and were not carrying and did not inform the officer they had a CCW Permit only to have the officer get there license take it back to his car and run them through the computer and find out they have a CCW. The officers tend to get uptight and come back to the car asking if the person has there gun with them and why they didn’t inform them they had a CCW Permit. The officer is usually somewhat agitated has always issued a ticket for whatever my friend was pulled over for.

The confusion comes in because of how the law is written, it says “we must inform only if we are carrying” but many L.E.O. in the area and especially the rookies tend to think it is a must inform whether or not you’re carrying. Now legally we don’t have to and I am not one to tell others what to do but if I was the officer that pulled someone over I’m pretty sure I would appreciate it if they did inform me they had a permit instead of having a computer tell me and have me have to ask them when I go back to the car if they are concealing a pistol or not. So I tell them upfront whether I am or I am not carrying. I’ve got better things to do than being pulled over for a traffic violation and so does the officer.

That’s how I do it, you can do it anyway you like but this works for me.

Oh here is a link to what are State Police say to do about the subject.
MSP - Proper Conduct During Encounters with Police

Old 02-05-2010, 05:11 PM   #28

Being in Florida I like having the choice to tell the officer. on 90% of stops I would inform the officer because I believe it will get you out of a ticket.

If some hothead cops storms up to my window(has happened before) he is on a need to know basis about everything. I will offer no additional information other than what I am required to give by law.

Same situation in say Ohio I have to inform officer hothead that I have a concealed pistol he may be inclined to lecture/hassle me.

Also some of you guys need to remember this is a national forum and your laws aren't the laws of the masses.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:40 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenslay3r View Post
Also made a POINT of saying you have to tell the officer if he asks, but not to volunteer if he doesn't. I was a little confused by this, but whatever..
Legally speaking, if your state's laws don't require you to inform the officer that your are carrying a weapon you are under no legal requirement to answer any LEOs questions, including if you are currently armed.

Lying to the officer, instead of refusing to answer, can (and probably will) be prosecuted if found out.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:15 AM   #30

I always tell them that I am NOT carrying just the same as if I AM. I respect the job they do and the danger they put themselves in. Any way I can put them at ease I do. And since when they go back to the car and run my DL it will show my CPL I don't want them to be nervous walking back to the car. Also following all traffic laws sure helps to NOT be in the situation in the first place.