Non resident FL lic and reciprocity question

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Non resident FL lic and reciprocity question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2011, 08:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Non resident FL lic and reciprocity question

I was doing some reading on this wonderful forum and it seems like me being a TX resident can apply for a non res Florida concealed lic and use it in TX. Is this correct or am I overlooking something? Because for half the cost this is looking attractive. Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-07-2011, 11:00 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9507 Times on 4091 Posts
Likes Given: 1492

Not a lawyer, currently not a Texas resident, but believe that answer is no- Texas recognizes thru reciprocity permits issued to RESIDENTS OF OTHER STATES. If you reside in Texas, you need a Texas permit in Texas. You can still get a non-resident license in another state that MAY be more widely accepted than a Texas permit, but for Texas, you need a Texas permit.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/tchlaws0102.pdf

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:26 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1287 Times on 626 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I am also not an attorney, but I do live in Florida. You can get a Florida non-resident permit, but I would read your own state's laws before I would count on it being good to go at home. Here is the web site for FL CCW.

Concealed Weapons or Firearm Program - Division of Licensing, FDACS

It will tell you what you are required to have for a non resident permit.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:59 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1262 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 534

I am not a lawyer either.

When I took my CCW course in LA five years ago the instructor said our class fee would, upon completion, allow us to file paperwork for either a FL permit or a LA permit. The instructor recommended we get a FL permit because we would be legal in more states (including LA) with a FL permit even as residents of LA. You could get both permits, just had to pay extra for the second set of prints, notary stamp, etc.

At the time, TX would not recognize a LA permit, but would allow a LA resident with a FL permit to carry.

The instructor was Kay Clark Miculek, while she is not a lawyer, she is very familiar with firearms and CCW.

All of this was five years ago, so always check state laws to make sure nothing has changed.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:21 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

May not be a lawyer either but I did stay at holiday inn. Please turn to page 6. CC €411.173 of the Texas Department of Public Safety Concealed Handgun laws.
The way I read this section is only if you are relocating to Texas. Are you allowed to start the process.

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Old 08-08-2011, 02:33 AM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNstanger View Post
I was doing some reading on this wonderful forum and it seems like me being a TX resident can apply for a non res Florida concealed lic and use it in TX. Is this correct or am I overlooking something? Because for half the cost this is looking attractive. Thanks
Also raises the question (for me) as to why not get a Texas CHL?
As a Texas Resident with a Texas CHL you can carry a concealed handgun in the following states:
•Alabama •Missouri
•Montana
•Nebraska
•New Mexico
•North Carolina
•North Dakota
•Oklahoma •Pennsylvania
•South Carolina
•South Dakota
•Tennessee
•Utah
•Vermont
•Virginia
•Wyoming
•Alaska
•Arizona
•Arkansas
•Colorado
•Delaware
Florida•Georgia
•Idaho
•Indiana
•Iowa
•Kansas.
•Kentucky
•Louisiana
•Michigan
•Mississippi

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Last edited by rigjumpr; 08-08-2011 at 02:36 AM.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:26 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5984 Times on 3131 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
I am not a lawyer either.

When I took my CCW course in LA five years ago the instructor said our class fee would, upon completion, allow us to file paperwork for either a FL permit or a LA permit. The instructor recommended we get a FL permit because we would be legal in more states (including LA) with a FL permit even as residents of LA. You could get both permits, just had to pay extra for the second set of prints, notary stamp, etc.

At the time, TX would not recognize a LA permit, but would allow a LA resident with a FL permit to carry.

The instructor was Kay Clark Miculek, while she is not a lawyer, she is very familiar with firearms and CCW.

All of this was five years ago, so always check state laws to make sure nothing has changed.
i know there are a few trainers around se wis telling people that they can use utah permits as wis residents nov 1. our new law reuires wis residents to have a wis ccw license and carrying a out of state permit in place of wis ccw permit by residents is not permited

just be careful since not everyone even trainers sometimes dont know the rules.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-08-2011, 05:41 PM   #8

Default FL Non-resident ccw for Texan

Why? Might be more of a hassle the first time around. If you finger print card dose not read and gets sent back. This may be more time and aggravation than it is worth. The FL Non-resident lic. is for people who live in states that don't issue them or have more bull**** gun laws that you can shake a stick it. Also Florida is a big tourist state and if you need a gun to make you feel safe when you leave Disney then ok pack your bags and your heat fill out your ccw application so that in about 6 to 9 months you can go visit FL and don't have to worry about any of the riff raft that floated in the other day looking for food and money.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:18 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3082 Times on 1544 Posts
Likes Given: 377

These should answer most of your questions:

Handgunlaw.us

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USReciprocity.pdf

NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?

Old 08-08-2011, 06:30 PM   #10

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Not a lawyer either but trust me on this one, if a FL or UT non-resident CCW was recognized as a primary CCW in your home state every single gun owner in NJ, HI, IL, and MA would have them. The benefit of the non-resident license is the ability to carry in 29 or so OTHER states even though CCW is restricted where you actually live. For me personally I could hop the bridge into PA and carry, as long as I unload and case my gun before I return home to NJ, which does not recognize any other state's CCW permit.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington