Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Non resident conceal carry question. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/non-resident-conceal-carry-question-74322/)

winds-of-change 10-14-2012 08:22 PM

Non resident conceal carry question.

I was wondering if I could conceal carry in a state that allows concealed carry even though I am not a resident of that state. Say I go to Arizona. Can I legally conceal carry while visiting there even though I am a resident of Illinois?

nitestalker 10-14-2012 08:29 PM

If you have a CCW from a state that is approved by the state of Arizona. If you live in states such as California, Ill etc that does not issure CCWs apply for a Utah permit. Utah will issue you a permit. The Utah CCW is good in Arizona. If you are an adult ARIZONA RESIDENT you do not need a CCW.:)

phildenton 10-14-2012 08:35 PM

Some places open carry is a viable option as well. Like if you were to visit wa. Just know that even open carry legalities vary. In florida you can have a loaded handgun in YOUR car without a permit the same as in your home. BUT in wa you need a permit to have a loaded handgun in your car no matter whether its open or concealed. Life is simplified getting the permit valid to the jurisdiction.

nitestalker 10-14-2012 08:47 PM

Very true get a CCW. Study the laws before you travel. Arizona law says weapons must be in holster in a car. This means just that a holster. During open carry 2" of the holster must be exposed. Check the laws.:)

Chainfire 10-14-2012 08:54 PM

A little google work will tell you that a great majority of states, accept the CCW permits from a great majority of other states. Of course the highly restrictive states do not reciprocate. The states that do accept other states CCWs still may have different carry laws that must be abided by. It is complicated, but the information is available. As far as I know, no state will allow you to carry concealed unless you have that state's or one of the partner state's license. An exception would be a state that has no permit necessary to carry.

Search for "fireams reciprocity" or something similar and you will get the answers you need.

nitestalker 10-14-2012 09:22 PM

Chainfire so true. New Hampshire allows concealed carry without a CCW but will not issue travel permits. Some states will allow adult New Hampshire resident to carry concealed if they have a proper ID for that state.:) There are a number of up dated web sites you can check state laws.:)

JTJ 10-14-2012 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitestalker (Post 976585)
Very true get a CCW. Study the laws before you travel. Arizona law says weapons must be in holster in a car. This means just that a holster. During open carry 2" of the holster must be exposed. Check the laws.:)

I believe the holster has to have a strap and that is only if it is not on your person.

winds-of-change 10-15-2012 06:55 AM

Okay. Thank you. I don't have a CCW because I live in Illinois but I do believe I can get a Utah CCW. Also another state's CCW. I believe it was Florida.

nitestalker 10-15-2012 07:08 AM

You will need to contact a Utah Inst. in Ill. The course will take about 5 hours. Once the paper work is filed with Utah it takes about 6 weeks for issue.

winds-of-change 10-15-2012 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitestalker (Post 977185)
You will need to contact a Utah Inst. in Ill. The course will take about 5 hours. Once the paper work is filed with Utah it takes about 6 weeks for issue.

The indoor range I typically go to offers that course.