Non-resident chl - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Non-resident chl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2011, 03:11 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierman79 View Post
That seems incorrect according to this:

Texas CCW Concealed Carry Hand Gun Legal Info

and this:

TxDPS - Concealed Handgun Licensing

Please help me understand cause i'm Active Duty U.S. Army and a Texas resident and just received my Georgia carry license because i'm currently stationed at Fort Benning and am about to be PCS'd to Fort Sam Houston. Thanks!
Also, as active duty military you did not even need a GA permit because active duty military are afforded the same carry privileges as LEOs...

Old 03-18-2011, 03:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Reciprocity does not apply to residents of a state within their home state - it is for out of state visitors.

As Robo is an experienced Texas LEO, he probably knows the law in this area...
Good to know. I appreciate the info. Guess i'm gonna have to sign up for that ccl class when i get home. Thanks y'all!

“You’ve got red on you.” — Shaun of the Dead

Old 03-18-2011, 08:28 PM   #13

Hmmm...
I have an Oregon CCW and a Utah CCW.
I think your situation is different. I understand that a bill is pending in Utah that will restrict out of state applications to have a home state permit prerequisite. This is due to a huge number of Texans who have obtained Utah permits because they didn't qualify for a Texas CCW but qualified for a Utah CCW. Also they're cheaper than a Texas CCW.
Nothing I read indicated that Texas residents with a Utah CCW cannot carry in Texas.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:56 AM   #14

There is a whole bunch of erroneous misinformation in this thread.
You absolutly CAN carry on an out of state permit in TX as a TX resident.
Robocop, before dispensing legal opinions, perhaps you should consult with your departmenst legal advisor or the Prosecutor or DA. AT least that way you will be giving correct answers, instead of the totally incorrect answer you provided here. Just because your a police officer and say the law is one way, dosent make it true, no matter how much you wish it were. Honestly, I expected more from a Moderator and a TX LEO. For your sake, I STRONGLY advise you to consult with your departments Legal Advisor, or the District Attorney concerning TX Resident Carry on an out of state permit before you arrest someone for it, and you find out the hard way after the fact that carry on an out of state permit is in fact legal.

The Residency bill is HB 356, and it has, thankfully, died in committee. There was a whole lot more opposition to this bill than support, and that helped keep the bill from getting out of committee. SO for now, anyone with an out of state permit is good to go. Also, there was NOT a huge number of people with UTAH permits. There were , by utahs estimate, 5000 issued in TX. That is a drop in the bucket considering the total number of permitted people in TX. Honestly, with 3 states passing Constitutional permitless carry this session, the national trend is to do away with a permit requirement all together. Going in the opposite direction and further restricting options for carry in TX is a step backwards when the rest of teh pro gun states are moving forward. Hopefully, TX will soon join the Constitutional carry states, then this will be a mute point. And last but not least, for the argument that you need a TX license to drive, fish, hunt, etc. Those are Privaledges. The ability to keep and bare arms is a RIGHT. As soon as you categorize that right and the requirments to license with other privaledges and their license requirments, you have lowered that right to a privaledge. Once you do that, reestablishing the ability to keep and Bare arms as a rright and not a privaledge is VERY hard legally, and in most places damn near impossible. Do not use the licensing requirements of privaledges to justify licenseing requirements for a right. That line of reasoning dosen't do you, or anyone else, any kind of favors.

Last edited by C_Rion; 05-04-2011 at 09:10 AM.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:46 PM   #15

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

As most of you know by now. In order to get or renew your Utah Permit you must first have a Permit from your home state. After May 10th 2011 you can not apply for a Utah Permit without a home state permit. After Jan 2011 you must have a home state permit to renew your Utah permit. The rules regarding Insts. have also changed. The exception to this. If your state does not issue permits you are exempt from this rule. You may get a Utah permit without a home state permit.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:46 PM   #16

Wow, that's quite a post for #1...
so much for being tactful.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:07 AM   #17

Default Ccw

I have the utah permit and under Idaho law I can carry without a seperate Idaho CCW. Just accross the border in the peoples republic of WA. You cannot carry on the Utah CCW if a Wa resident you must have a WA ccw as well.

My instructor and the range owner is a cop and works (as a hobby) a few shifts a week. He says don't give your CCW permit to him if stopped for a traffic violation as it is just one more thing he would have to handle. If you are in fact armed (in some states a gun in the glovebox is considered concealed) it is a good idea to let the officer know as they hate suprises!

There also some locals that know you have a permit when they run your plate, this depends on how up to date thier systems are.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:19 AM   #18

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Rion View Post
There is a whole bunch of erroneous misinformation in this thread.
You absolutly CAN carry on an out of state permit in TX as a TX resident.
Robocop, before dispensing legal opinions, perhaps you should consult with your departmenst legal advisor or the Prosecutor or DA. AT least that way you will be giving correct answers, instead of the totally incorrect answer you provided here. Just because your a police officer and say the law is one way, dosent make it true, no matter how much you wish it were. Honestly, I expected more from a Moderator and a TX LEO. For your sake, I STRONGLY advise you to consult with your departments Legal Advisor, or the District Attorney concerning TX Resident Carry on an out of state permit before you arrest someone for it, and you find out the hard way after the fact that carry on an out of state permit is in fact legal.

The Residency bill is HB 356, and it has, thankfully, died in committee. There was a whole lot more opposition to this bill than support, and that helped keep the bill from getting out of committee. SO for now, anyone with an out of state permit is good to go. Also, there was NOT a huge number of people with UTAH permits. There were , by utahs estimate, 5000 issued in TX. That is a drop in the bucket considering the total number of permitted people in TX. Honestly, with 3 states passing Constitutional permitless carry this session, the national trend is to do away with a permit requirement all together. Going in the opposite direction and further restricting options for carry in TX is a step backwards when the rest of teh pro gun states are moving forward. Hopefully, TX will soon join the Constitutional carry states, then this will be a mute point. And last but not least, for the argument that you need a TX license to drive, fish, hunt, etc. Those are Privaledges. The ability to keep and bare arms is a RIGHT. As soon as you categorize that right and the requirments to license with other privaledges and their license requirments, you have lowered that right to a privaledge. Once you do that, reestablishing the ability to keep and Bare arms as a rright and not a privaledge is VERY hard legally, and in most places damn near impossible. Do not use the licensing requirements of privaledges to justify licenseing requirements for a right. That line of reasoning dosen't do you, or anyone else, any kind of favors.

I'll check on this tomorrow, however Rion I take exception to your obnoxious post to Robo. And by the way ... it's TEXAS not Tejas.

Scubie

Old 05-10-2011, 07:30 PM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2691 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

I venture to say he probably will not be here long, if ever again.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 05-12-2011, 05:02 AM   #20

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Also, as active duty military you did not even need a GA permit because active duty military are afforded the same carry privileges as LEOs...
Well, I don't know about GA law, but usually that's only true while actually engaged in the performance of your duties. Off duty, you're like any other citizen, and usually need a license/permit.

Big Gay Al
coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
"Of course I carry a gun, you would too if you were called Big Gay Al"