Non-resident chl

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Non-resident chl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2011, 08:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 36 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Non-resident chl

I'm a Texan, with a Texas Driver's License, but with a Utah non-resident CHL, which is valid in 33 states including Texas. My question is to other Texans with this same CHL from Utah -- do you present it to LEO's if stopped for a minor traffic violation? Also, do you know if Texas LEO's have the data to know if you have a Utah CHL, as they do if you have a Texas CHL.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-17-2011, 10:27 PM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Do you also have a Texas permit? As a TX resident, I don't think you can legally carry in TX on a non-resident permit - you must also have a TX permit. The purpose of an additional non-resident permit is to allow you to carry in states where you are not a resident and where your home state permit is not recognized - additional reciprocity. Robocop10mm is a Texas LEO and he may drop in to answer this one...

Last edited by NGIB; 03-17-2011 at 10:36 PM.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:14 PM   #3

Liked 36 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Do you also have a Texas permit? As a TX resident, I don't think you can legally carry in TX on a non-resident permit - you must also have a TX permit. The purpose of an additional non-resident permit is to allow you to carry in states where you are not a resident and where your home state permit is not recognized - additional reciprocity. Robocop10mm is a Texas LEO and he may drop in to answer this one...
No, it is legal in Texas for us to have this CHL from Utah and not only here but in 32 other states. I printed off a copy of both the Texas and Utah statutes. If stopped for traffic violation, I'll probably go ahead and show the CHL and inform officer of CCW. I think that's the right thing to do. The only reason I don't have a Texas CHL is because, at the time, the wait was for nearly a year versus 3 months with Utah.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:24 PM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I"d be getting the Texas permit if I was planning to stay there long. As for showing there are some Texas boys that will be along to speak to that.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 03-18-2011, 12:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootsdeal View Post
No, it is legal in Texas for us to have this CHL from Utah and not only here but in 32 other states. I printed off a copy of both the Texas and Utah statutes. If stopped for traffic violation, I'll probably go ahead and show the CHL and inform officer of CCW. I think that's the right thing to do. The only reason I don't have a Texas CHL is because, at the time, the wait was for nearly a year versus 3 months with Utah.
Yes, when it comes to reciprocity Texas does honor the Utah permit - just like it honors my Georgia permit. My point is that reciprocity is limited to what non-resident permits a state will recognize for non-resident visitors. As a resident of Texas - how long can you legally drive on an out of state license?

Last edited by NGIB; 03-18-2011 at 12:33 PM.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:03 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2865 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 254

You have been misinformed. As a Texas resident, the only permit that is valid in Texas is a Texas CHL, period.

The Utah permit allows you to carry in states that have reciprocity with Utah, but not Texas.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-18-2011, 01:58 PM   #7

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I don't know about Texas. Here in Wyoming you can use a Utah permit if you are a Wyoming resident. The Utah permit is treated the same as a Wyoming resident permit. Our laws differ on some points. You must follow Wyoming laws while using an out of state permit. There is no time limits on the Utah Permit. In Wyoming you are not required to inform the LEO of your concealed firearm. They of course will find out when they run your Wyoming Drivers licenses. With a Utah permit it will not show up on the check. Damn life is too complex an't it?

DK

Old 03-18-2011, 02:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
You have been misinformed. As a Texas resident, the only permit that is valid in Texas is a Texas CHL, period.
Good to have you back doing what you do best big fella - ending threads!

Old 03-18-2011, 02:25 PM   #9

*deleted*

Sorry, I found the answer, Thanks.

“You’ve got red on you.” — Shaun of the Dead

Last edited by soldierman79; 03-18-2011 at 03:17 PM.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:08 PM   #10

Reciprocity does not apply to residents of a state within their home state - it is for out of state visitors.

As Robo is an experienced Texas LEO, he probably knows the law in this area...