Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > No guns allowed signs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 03:03 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911love View Post
My problem is I shouldn't have to change my way of life or the services I enjoy as a free American citizen because of someone being anti-rights....
Sometimes freedom comes at a cost and can be inconvenient. However you have a very progressive attitude. I assume you favor gay/lesbian rights and are pro-abortion since those folks say they don't want to change their way of life or the services they enjoy as a free American citizens because of someone being anti-rights.

Quote:
.... does not trump my right to self defense with the best tool at my disposal, which happens to be my sidearm.
Nothing is trumping your legal right to self-defense when threatened, your legal right to use deadly force is still there (considering 2A says nothing about "self defense" only the government's ability to limit ownership).
I understand your point but I would feel very vulnerable if my ability to defend myself was limited to a firearm because I don't consider it the "best tool" in some situations.

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Old 08-10-2012, 05:15 PM   #52

Liked 619 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 12

You guys have some good points, that is why I come to this forum. TCH2FLY: I also practice martial arts, carry an edged weapon, and a metal light with a strike bezel. Most people miss what you believe and only carry a firearm. I was taught that is stupid and could get you killed. I am aware of the trespass equation of this debate, I don't agree with that part of the law, but I would sure leave if asked. My original point was I don't think anyone should be able to make a gun free "safe" zone. How would the majority of the population respond to a free speech free zone. If you enter these premises you lose your right to say what you wish? People will probably say if a person enters Burger King and starts dropping cuss words they would be asked to leave. Yea, they are abusing their speech. Same thing if you enter a place and start waving your sidearm, that's abusing your 2A rights. Maybe I'm just young and crazy, but some of these gun free zones would alienate me from friends/girlfriends if I boycotted them. I do try and avoid them, sometimes I just have to go.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #53

Liked 1063 Times on 687 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
My problem is I shouldn't have to change my way of life or the services I enjoy as a free American citizen because of someone being anti-rights. Yes, these business owners worked hard to begin and remain in business. This fact does not trump my right to self defense with the best tool at my disposal, which happens to be my sidearm. Think about what has been said by some: the owner has a right to allow who or what may happen on their premises. How about a bad person(who), who wants to hurt people(what). Yes, that is ok, but I stand firm that I should be able to stop that "who" and "what" no matter where I am unless proper security and procedures are in place such as an airport or courthouse. I think anyone here saying they know of a movie theater or shopping mall that is a hardened and secured area is telling a joke or a lie. Get real, the world is a dangerous place. We need to stack the odds in our favor instead of the dark side's favor or someone's business that just doesn't think firearms align with their moral compass. Again, people who disagree, I challenge you to have these same beliefs while you or your loved ones are at the wrong end of the muzzle being wielded by an evil person.
You are not required to go into anyone's business.

I do not understand how you could believe that a business owner does not have the rights to control who comes into his or her business. Would you also feel that way about your private property or my private property?

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 08-10-2012, 10:16 PM   #54

Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts

Unless they "pat you down" how are going to tell?. I walked into walmart with my gun!.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:22 PM   #55

Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
i kinda disagree. a public business is a public place not private property. the supreme court has ruled on this sort of thing. just because states have chosen to ignore and disrespect my right to self defense is not going to make me respect them.

you cant bar a person fom a business based on race sex or political opinions. a business cannot remove your inalienable rights just because they disagree with them. hang a sign on a door at walmart saying no blacks, democrats, muslims see how that goes.
If they lived by that they would not be in bussiness to long!.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:54 PM   #56

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 15

In Tennesse its a felony to enter a establishment with a firearm if its posted .I either take my buiseness else where ( which is most of the time )or just ignore the sign .

" TO EACH HIS OWN "