No guns allowed signs
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > No guns allowed signs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2012, 12:40 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 640 Times on 386 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default No guns allowed signs

I see these terrible signs and they make me cringe. In Florida these worthless signs carry no legal weight except in courthouses, police stations, and federal buildings. I choose to ignore them except for the places mentioned in the last sentence. These places have armed security to keep people there safe. My life and safety of my loved ones is more important that some anti-rights business owner’s utopian views. What a crazy world we live in where ANYONE is permitted to create the “safe” gun free zones! I am curious about how other states treat these signs under the law and how others that carry respond to them. Please weigh in.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-09-2012, 12:52 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5802 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

in wisconsin its a civil forfeiture cept for federal state govt buildings and schools where federal protection for mass murderers keeps guns out of the hands of honest law abiding citizens. cant have a ccw person stopping a mass murderer from slaughtering children can we??

fine is 200$

i ignore such things. 200$ is cheaper than losing my life or massive hospital bills and being out of work after being shot by a government sanctioned and approved mass murderer. unless a business provides armed security and metal detectors with a place to store my handgun im not leaving it behind.
wisconsin
there is no criminal or civil jeorpady attached to violating pro-murder signs in wisconsin just a fine on the same order as not picking up your dog's poop on the sidewalk. what you do is your own business

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 08-09-2012 at 12:58 AM.
PrimePorkchop Likes This 
Old 08-09-2012, 12:59 AM   #3

Liked 181 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 407

The law here does not specify anything about gun signs. The gun sign however is to be treated by the force of law which every sign should

Old 08-09-2012, 01:11 AM   #4
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

I'm pretty sure in New York when a company posts a sign like that you have a choice to obey it, ignore it and risk being tossed out for trespassing, or just not patronize that private businesses and take your money elsewhere.

If you want people to respect your rights, you have to respect theirs. If a place has a "no weapons" sign, I'll respect it by not going there and not spending my money there. I recommend you do likewise.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:14 AM   #5
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Sign? What sign?

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:16 AM   #6
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

You mean this sign?

forumrunner_20120808_211624.jpg  

I don't need No stinking signature.

People Like This 
Old 08-09-2012, 01:30 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post

If you want people to respect your rights, you have to respect theirs. If a place has a "no weapons" sign, I'll respect it by not going there and not spending my money there. I recommend you do likewise.

i kinda disagree. a public business is a public place not private property. the supreme court has ruled on this sort of thing. just because states have chosen to ignore and disrespect my right to self defense is not going to make me respect them.

you cant bar a person fom a business based on race sex or political opinions. a business cannot remove your inalienable rights just because they disagree with them. hang a sign on a door at walmart saying no blacks, democrats, muslims see how that goes.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-09-2012, 01:59 AM   #8

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
i kinda disagree. a public business is a public place not private property. the supreme court has ruled on this sort of thing. just because states have chosen to ignore and disrespect my right to self defense is not going to make me respect them.

you cant bar a person fom a business based on race sex or political opinions. a business cannot remove your inalienable rights just because they disagree with them. hang a sign on a door at walmart saying no blacks, democrats, muslims see how that goes.
So does that mean you can sue the government if you slip and fall in a business? One could argue on the same token that if you're at a residence then it's public, if a business owner is paying his/her bank note on the property; how is it public? Oh and business owners have the right to refuse service at any time to anyone. Probably not a good idea, but it is within the owner's right.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:12 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
So does that mean you can sue the government if you slip and fall in a business? One could argue on the same token that if you're at a residence then it's public, if a business owner is paying his/her bank note on the property; how is it public? Oh and business owners have the right to refuse service at any time to anyone. Probably not a good idea, but it is within the owner's right.
its both. sounds odd but its true. its what confuses people. during business hours a store is open to the public. a business however does not have the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason. its another popular myth. dont believe me, open a business and refuse to let all women or chinese or blonde haired men in the door.

if you choose to cause a disturbance the business can have you removed by the police. ask a cop to remove a man because he is black see how it goes.

the reason gun owners are banned is because we let them do it and knuckle under. i dont believe its ever been challenged. ccw types tend to be law abiding sorts (me included) and so we prefer to just leave if asked or follow a personal policy of dont ask dont tell when it comes to carry. the issue never really comes up and if it does we just pay our fines and move on. thats what we do. its not in our nature to fight it out in court and just man-up and take the consequences if we decide to ignore a sign. or just respect the sign and dont patronize the place.

we dont burn buildings down take dumps on cop cars and hold drum circles in the state capitol just cuz something doesnt go our way like liberals do.

if we werent law abiding citizens why would we go through the effort and expense of acquiring ccw licenses and training classes??

Last edited by JonM; 08-09-2012 at 02:15 AM.
phildenton Likes This 
Old 08-09-2012, 02:14 AM   #10

Liked 1138 Times on 824 Posts
Likes Given: 585

They have signs that say this ??
I WILL carry if I so choose any where I want other than gov buildings

Danger is real , Fear is a option

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.