Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > No CHL required in... Vermont?!?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2007, 05:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default No CHL required in... Vermont?!?

I've wondered about this for a long time. How can it be that one of the two states where concealed carry is truly a RIGHT, i.e., no permit is required, is the uber-liberal New England state of Vermont? (the other is Alaska.) How is this possible? Any Vermonters (or anyone else) out there that can explain this?

"Valor needs first strength, then a weapon."
-- J. R. R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

"Free men have arms; slaves do not."
-- William Blackstone (1723-1780)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-21-2007, 01:00 AM   #2

I could be wrong but I don't believe Vermont is all that ultra liberal. I think that a southern New England thing. You get up in Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine and it's pretty much just normal folks versus communist hippies who want to change the world.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:43 AM   #3
bkt

Liked 1303 Times on 662 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Then why did Vermont elect Congress' first out-of-the-closet socia1ist to the U.S. Senate (Bernie Sanders)?

New Hampshire has historically been a red state, but it is being invaded by New Yorkers and folks from Connecticut and Massachusetts (where the taxes are too high, evidently) who are died-in-the-wool liberals.

(Tangential note: Check out the Congressional Progressive Caucus for a pretty good list of socia1ists in Congress. These fine folks believe they know better than you do how to spend your money and how best to use your land.)

Old 08-21-2007, 07:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
Then why did Vermont elect Congress' first out-of-the-closet socia1ist to the U.S. Senate (Bernie Sanders)?
New Hampshire has historically been a red state, but it is being invaded by New Yorkers and folks from Connecticut and Massachusetts (where the taxes are too high, evidently) who are died-in-the-wool liberals.

(Tangential note: Check out the Congressional Progressive Caucus for a pretty good list of socia1ists in Congress. These fine folks believe they know better than you do how to spend your money and how best to use your land.)

Reading is fundemental....."I could be wrong but I don't believe....."

Old 08-21-2007, 08:05 PM   #5
bkt

Liked 1303 Times on 662 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Okay, maybe you're wrong and maybe you're not. I'm just trying to get an answer maybe from someone who can speak with some authority on the issue. I'm interested because the thought of moving there or to NH has crossed my mind more than once.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:13 PM   #6

Default Vermont Carrry

Although I live in Ca. now I have lived in Vermont and have large numbers of famly there. Vermont is more of a libertarian state than anything else. A fiercely strong independence theme runs through much of the Vermont mentality. Goes all the way back to the 'Green Mountain Boys' of the revolutionary period. Vermonters are financially conservative, socially liberal and believe that the best place for government is 'out of my business'. With that mentality why would any LAW ABIDING PERSON need a permit to carry 'any way they wanted to'.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etho View Post
I could be wrong but I don't believe Vermont is all that ultra liberal. I think that a southern New England thing. You get up in Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine and it's pretty much just normal folks versus communist hippies who want to change the world.
This is the case and it surprised me too. New Hampshire has a very easy to obtain non resident permit as does Maine. I plan a trip there next year and Maine does not recognize Michigan so it will cost me 60 bucks. NH will recognize my homestate permit. Only problem state will be NY. No hope there.