Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Next gun for carry......help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 11:11 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouribound View Post
Well, I've narrowed it down to two guns....with some help from my wife.....(replace help with strongly suggest)
My first pick was the Sig P238, I want a light gun for carry and Sig's seem to be a good pick. I also was looking at a revolver, the S&W 637 to be more precise. Well to make a long story short, my wife prefers the revolver. She has the 686 and a little Heritage rough rider that I bought for her. And since the last gun we bought was an auto, she thinks it's time for another revolver. Who am I to argue? Anyway, she's got a CC purse and she's quite proficient at the range.
May I suggest the S&W 632. You mentioned she has a CC purse so here's my reasoning... Although the 637 is a single & double action, the exposed hammer may get caught upon raw. The 632 is the same exact gun with an internal hammer that can not snag on anything like a pocket or purse upon draw. However, you do lose the option of single action. I love mine and my wife has the 637but is only using it for target and home defense right now due to her inability to shoot double action. Good luck and be sure to rent or Horowitz before you buy. An informed decision can save lots-o-cash
Old 05-23-2013, 12:41 AM   #22

Liked 265 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 50

[QUOTE=NobleEagle;1253469]May I suggest the S&W 632. QUOTE]

Thanks. I"ve thought about that factor as well, and I have the same preference issues with my wife. Shooting the gun single action is her preference. A double action gun for her would be a discouragement to her for practice, since inevitably it would create results less than she usually gets. She's quite a good shot and the DA would affect that a bit. And if she doesn't like it, she won't want to practice....and if she doesn't practice she won't be comfortable carrying. A side note to the trigger issue. She (and I) tend to draw with our thumbs at the hammer...something that in itself will help with any snagging issue and allow cocking as it's being drawn. I do believe that the inherent safety of a DA is a good thing for carry, but a detriment to accuracy......6 of these, 1/2 doz. of the other ....that kind of thing.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:10 AM   #23

Liked 284 Times on 246 Posts

45 CCW in no particular order:

Colt Defender
Para Slim Hawg
Springfield Xds
Bersa Ultra Carry Pro
Kahr CW45

And my personal favorite, the Star Firestar M45.

It's heavier, due to compete steel construction, rather than aluminum, which also helps target reacquisition for followup shot placement. There are, of course, downfalls to the weight... makes it very hard to concealed with any comfort. Also, because the maker is long since defunct, no warranty. Guns were produced in the 90s, the M45, specifically, had a great reputation for reliability. Mine has been flawless, bought second hand as a police confiscated firearm. The M45 itself has a decent amount of parts still available, but the other 9mm and 40 do not. Buying used in such a regard, is a very unwise decision, honestly, so it's hard to recommend, but as far as I'm concerned it beats all the guns in this category hands down and twice over. Its barrel has almost an inch more in length while still maintaining the same overall length. This also helps with maintained accuracy as well as velocity and energy throughout the travel.

If I were to do it again, knowing what I do now, I'd still get the M45. Were I to choose a second, any one of the aforementioned would fit perfectly!

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 05-24-2013 at 03:31 AM.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #24

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sniper View Post
Check out the Springfield xds as far as the compact, single stack 45. The recoil on the xds isn't terrible. Just make sure whatever you but you are total comfortable with it, especially fit in your hand.
The XDs is tough to beat, I'm 5'11" 210lbs so hiding it isn't hard for me. I'm 100% happy w mine, it's been nothing but perfect so far, I enjoy shootin it at the range more the any .40 I've shoot(and 9mm for that matter). The thrill of making close to a half inch hole in things w a pocket pistol never goes away, at the range I pull out my little XDs and ppl do a double take when it roars into action throwing .45 downrange as well any full-size pistol!!!! I wasn't a XD fan til I settled on my XDs(wanted a carry 1911), now I can't think of a better carry gun for the money.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #25

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

If you're looking at the p238 may i strongly suggest looking at the p938. Its the exact same gun but with the extra oomph of a 9mm. I've owned one for a while now and i carry it every day its a great little shooter

Old 05-24-2013, 07:09 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandinm380 View Post
If you're looking at the p238 may i strongly suggest looking at the p938. Its the exact same gun but with the extra oomph of a 9mm. I've owned one for a while now and i carry it every day its a great little shooter
I think it will either be a .380 or a 38 special. Recoil is an issue for my wife, and a gun that is a handful to fire won't get the practice time it needs. I"ve shot the Kahr comnpact 9 and even with it's additional weight, it's a bit more than she likes.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:01 PM   #27

Liked 163 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I know I've already suggested the Taurus PT 740 but if the recoil is to much for her, consider the PT 709. It's 9mm and I've fired it, recoil is minimal. It's super compact and really thin. I've fired approx 1000 rounds thru my PT 740 without any hiccups.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:16 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster View Post
I know I've already suggested the Taurus PT 740 but if the recoil is to much for her, consider the PT 709. It's 9mm and I've fired it, recoil is minimal. It's super compact and really thin. I've fired approx 1000 rounds thru my PT 740 without any hiccups.
I own a Taurus PT38. I personally love the gun....but it's about 10 years old. I know several people with new Taurus's and they have had nothing but trouble with them. Until they regain their reputation of years ago, I will probably stay away from them. And when my Taurus was new, it was very finicky with ammo. A few thousand rounds has taken care of that issue. But thanks for your suggestion.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #29

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouribound View Post

I own a Taurus PT38. I personally love the gun....but it's about 10 years old. I know several people with new Taurus's and they have had nothing but trouble with them. Until they regain their reputation of years ago, I will probably stay away from them. And when my Taurus was new, it was very finicky with ammo. A few thousand rounds has taken care of that issue. But thanks for your suggestion.
Well I tell my students the biggest caliber you can handle comfortably and a fire arm that fits go to a range if you can rent various guns and try them

Old 06-03-2013, 04:50 AM   #30
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sniper View Post
Check out the Springfield xds as far as the compact, single stack 45. The recoil on the xds isn't terrible. Just make sure whatever you but you are total comfortable with it, especially fit in your hand.
I'd have to disagree on that XDS. One of my buddies got one and it isn't exactly pleasant to shoot large amounts. The grip frame is rather aggressive for me, and kinda chews at your hand after a few mags. I have a Glock 30 which is the subcompact .45 It's not all that bad of a recoil, though it is one of the larger subcompacts. It holds 10 + 1. If you wanted to think about a 9, the Sig P938 is a great little conceal gun.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr