Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Next gun for carry......help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 03:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 264 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default Next gun for carry......help.

Later this year I expect to buy a new handgun. It will either be a S&W Airweight 38 for carry.....OR a compact .45. If I go the .45 route, I'd like some opinion as to which would be your preference. And if any of you have a compact carry .45, how rough is the recoil? My wife will more than likely carry the revolver, but if I can get her comfortable with the .45, she may also consider that. I"m completely open to mfg. on the .45. Single stack is important to me for carry. Other than that I'm open to all opinions.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-13-2013, 03:36 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Check out the Springfield xds as far as the compact, single stack 45. The recoil on the xds isn't terrible. Just make sure whatever you but you are total comfortable with it, especially fit in your hand.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:52 AM   #3

Liked 741 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouribound View Post
Later this year I expect to buy a new handgun. It will either be a S&W Airweight 38 for carry.....OR a compact .45. If I go the .45 route, I'd like some opinion as to which would be your preference. And if any of you have a compact carry .45, how rough is the recoil? My wife will more than likely carry the revolver, but if I can get her comfortable with the .45, she may also consider that. I"m completely open to mfg. on the .45. Single stack is important to me for carry. Other than that I'm open to all opinions.
I dont know how strong your wife is.. but i shoot the rental guns sometimes at work. I tried out a Colt Defender compact .45 a while back. It was fun to shoot, recoil was no problem. But target retention was not good...on a 3rnd burst, i was lucky to even hit paper with round 2 and 3...lol

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

Old 05-13-2013, 04:09 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3720 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouribound
I've never shot one but I've heard the Kahr PM45 is a nice gun. Single stack, 5+1.

Always have clean socks.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:31 AM   #5
Jarvis
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

If available, stop by a shooting range and try out their rentals. Other wise there are alot of 1911's that are great for carry, Sig Sauer P220 is a great pistol, and Springfield now makes the XD in a single stack 45acp to name a few. Personally I love my S&W 638 bodyguard. Not many pistols with stopping power can hide in your gym shorts!

Old 05-13-2013, 05:43 AM   #6
Jarvis
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

Unless you are a larger person, I'm 5'10" 170 lbs, without a button up shirt most pistols print easily on a person my size.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:25 AM   #7

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWSchramm View Post
I've never shot one but I've heard the Kahr PM45 is a nice gun. Single stack, 5+1.
It is a looker & has a great feel to me & light as can be BUT recoil ain't polite--

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 05-13-2013, 09:54 PM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2614 Times on 1522 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

The size of the shooter can be overcome with technique.

My niece (5'2", approx 98lbs wet) handles a .45 Govt model 1911 with no problems (except when trying to conceal it).

She has an old S&W Sigma in .40 and seems to do pretty good with it.

Best advice is to try as many firearms and see what works for you and the spouse.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 05-14-2013, 02:04 AM   #9

Liked 163 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouribound
Have you considered the Taurus PT740 slim. It's perfect for ccw and its chambered in 40 S&W.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:34 PM   #10

I went to 9mm LC9 by ruger conceals very well wife likes it to for size but wants the LCR in 38 for ease of firing a revolver