Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Next gun for carry......help. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/next-gun-carry-help-90594/)

Missouribound 05-13-2013 03:32 AM

Next gun for carry......help.

Later this year I expect to buy a new handgun. It will either be a S&W Airweight 38 for carry.....OR a compact .45. If I go the .45 route, I'd like some opinion as to which would be your preference. And if any of you have a compact carry .45, how rough is the recoil? My wife will more than likely carry the revolver, but if I can get her comfortable with the .45, she may also consider that. I"m completely open to mfg. on the .45. Single stack is important to me for carry. Other than that I'm open to all opinions.

95sniper 05-13-2013 03:36 AM

Check out the Springfield xds as far as the compact, single stack 45. The recoil on the xds isn't terrible. Just make sure whatever you but you are total comfortable with it, especially fit in your hand.

readygirl 05-13-2013 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missouribound (Post 1244977)
Later this year I expect to buy a new handgun. It will either be a S&W Airweight 38 for carry.....OR a compact .45. If I go the .45 route, I'd like some opinion as to which would be your preference. And if any of you have a compact carry .45, how rough is the recoil? My wife will more than likely carry the revolver, but if I can get her comfortable with the .45, she may also consider that. I"m completely open to mfg. on the .45. Single stack is important to me for carry. Other than that I'm open to all opinions.

I dont know how strong your wife is.. but i shoot the rental guns sometimes at work. I tried out a Colt Defender compact .45 a while back. It was fun to shoot, recoil was no problem. But target retention was not good...on a 3rnd burst, i was lucky to even hit paper with round 2 and 3...lol

JW357 05-13-2013 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missouribound

I've never shot one but I've heard the Kahr PM45 is a nice gun. Single stack, 5+1.

GSmith1883 05-13-2013 05:31 AM

If available, stop by a shooting range and try out their rentals. Other wise there are alot of 1911's that are great for carry, Sig Sauer P220 is a great pistol, and Springfield now makes the XD in a single stack 45acp to name a few. Personally I love my S&W 638 bodyguard. Not many pistols with stopping power can hide in your gym shorts!

GSmith1883 05-13-2013 05:43 AM

Unless you are a larger person, I'm 5'10" 170 lbs, without a button up shirt most pistols print easily on a person my size.

HOSSFLY 05-13-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWSchramm (Post 1245021)
I've never shot one but I've heard the Kahr PM45 is a nice gun. Single stack, 5+1.

It is a looker & has a great feel to me & light as can be BUT recoil ain't polite--

danf_fl 05-13-2013 09:54 PM

The size of the shooter can be overcome with technique.

My niece (5'2", approx 98lbs wet) handles a .45 Govt model 1911 with no problems (except when trying to conceal it).

She has an old S&W Sigma in .40 and seems to do pretty good with it.

Best advice is to try as many firearms and see what works for you and the spouse.

rickster 05-14-2013 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missouribound

Have you considered the Taurus PT740 slim. It's perfect for ccw and its chambered in 40 S&W.

neal3019 05-15-2013 02:34 PM

I went to 9mm LC9 by ruger conceals very well wife likes it to for size but wants the LCR in 38 for ease of firing a revolver