Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > New Shooter Needing CCW Advice!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2010, 07:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New Shooter Needing CCW Advice!!

Hello Everyone!

I am a new gun owner in Arizona wanting to get a CCW permit. I have fired a weapon just a couple times...probably a total of 10 rounds in my life. I have been reading up on the range requirements for Arizona for the CCW...doesn't seem too difficult. I am a little nervous though about not passing on the range, so I was looking for opinions on if it is common/uncommon and easy/difficult for a new shooter to pass the range qualifications, after the allowed practice rounds (50 I think)?

Thanks a lot and any advice anyone has will be greatly appreciated!

Marc

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-25-2010, 08:07 PM   #2

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Practice, practice, practice.

No offense but with 10 rounds under your belt why would you even want to carry a firearm?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-25-2010, 09:09 PM   #3

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'd recommend taking a gun safety course with someone who can also do the ccw qualifications (many gun shops with ranges offer them). That way you're getting the right info from the start.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:16 PM   #4

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I tend to be with Cane here. Get to know your weapon and learn about shooting, in particular concealed carry and it's responsibilities before just getting your CCW permit because you can. Give it a 3 to six months at least.

Once you pull that weapon and let loose a round, there is no bringing it back or changing the inevitable outcome of that act. Just something to think about.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
QFT

Carrying a gun is all well and good, but if you don't know every in and out of that gun and it's capabilities and drawbacks, as well as your own, you could very well become a danger to yourself and others in an emergency situation.

I believe that getting a CCW isn't a happy-go-lucky GI Joe toy. It comes with a great deal of responsibility. You just took on the duty to protect yourself and your loved ones (or even complete strangers) in a SHTF situation, and it shouldn't be taken lightly. You need to do some soul searching to determine if you could actually pull that trigger and take the life of another human being if necessary, which should also never be taken lightly. Shooting to wound = shooting to miss.

Then you need to practice, practice, practice.

BTW, no need to post twice, we'll find the first one.

And maybe hop on by the introductions forum. We're friendly, I swear.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:48 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Same response as your other thread:

Quote:
This.

Quote:
No offense but with 10 rounds under your belt why would you even want to carry a firearm?
And also this. If you're concerned about passing the qualification, a test which occurs under none of the pressure that you'll experience in a real SD situation, you should not even be considering carrying at this point in time. Get a lot more rounds through the barrel before you carry - right now a gun will only be a liability to you and everyone around you.
Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Last edited by Mr. Bluesky; 04-26-2010 at 12:50 AM.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:56 AM   #7

“Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Lieutenant Colonel Jeff Cooper (1920-2006)

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

- orangello

Old 04-26-2010, 01:04 AM   #8

Liked 1640 Times on 926 Posts
Likes Given: 1093

Get your hands on a 22 pistol. Put 1000 rounds through it. It will have paid for itself before you are done. You will also want to practice with your carry gun. But for now, you need some serious range time. My concern would not be whether or not you can pass a test. My concern would be that you would be forced to pull that weapon later in an emergency an not be truly ready.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:33 AM   #9

Take a look at this:

Chiappa-Puma 1911-22 22LR Single-Action Semi-Auto : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

<$300 + $40 ammo (1,000 rounds) and go practice, practice, practice.

- orangello