New pocket gun....TCP or PF-9??? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > New pocket gun....TCP or PF-9???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 07:29 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1
farm boy Your getting almost some good advise. Like you I carried a taurus 85 but the SS model . CC'd that 85 for 20 years. Still have it and NO sw has a better trigger pull than any custom shop s&w found today. But with the junk there turning out that may not say to much. HA

I did retire the 85 for a pf-9 for pocket duty that I pocket carried for 2 1/2 years. Others are right in that its not a enjoyable pistol to shoot but it is a good defence pistol. If you get it ,add a few stacked and veried widths of inner tube to the grip for increaded thickness, grip and control. It will need something atleast whille running a few hundred rounds thru it. I used Georgia arms 124gr GD new ammo in it . When I sold it had 2000+ rounds with not a single issue. Do read up at KTOG on the fluff and buff and use a diamond stone to knock off any sharp edges and corners. Detail the mags also. Going price is 250 bucks + tax here so your budies price sounds good. I sold the KT after getting a heck of a deal on a kahr and then buying the smaller cm9 for pocket duty. Only then did I sell the KT

I bought a 380TCP month a go for when something smaller is a needed. I like it too. Not picky about ammo ,the 2oz extra weight over a KT and ruger version is nice . Recoil is about like a 38 sp 125gr non +P defence load. It can get a little lost in a pocket but in a good pocket holster is fine. For a small 380 its a great choice. I still only have about 200 rounds thru mine but so far so good.

If your tuarus 85 is a 21oz version then ether will be a major change.

This is pretty much the exact info I wanted. ( My 85 is the stainless steel model by the way ) I know neither are fun range guns but I think the PF-9 would be more fun to shoot than the TCP. I am also fully aware of the problems of each gun. I have not shot either particular gun yet, I intend to do so before I buy either. I have shot and LCP however and I like them but I wouldn't buy one new. The only reason I'm considering the TCP is because it's smaller and cheaper than the PF-9. I'd really like to carry it in a cell phone holster, but I think the PF-9 in a front pocket holster will be fine. Keep it coming thanks!

Old 09-10-2012, 08:30 AM   #12

Liked 247 Times on 169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefarmboy21
I'm in the market for a new pocket gun. I normally carry a Taurus 85 .38 special, but it's a little bulky in the warmer months.

Now I know it may seem like we are comparing apples and oranges, but here's the situation: my good friend has a "Like new" Taurus TCP .380 with the stainless slide that I can get for $225 (but I'm thinking $200) and I really like the .380's conceal ability and all the various CCW holster options. BUT another good friend has a new Kel Tec PF-9 that he bought out the door for $278 and loves it. I'd rather have a 9mm and they're cheaper to play with etc, but they just aren't as quite as compact as the little .380's. I just really like the thought of a wallet holster and/or cell phone style holster. I even considered one of the "pocket shot" holsters.

They key factor here is that my budget is less than $300. I want something very easily concealed in any attire BUT also fun to shoot that won't break the bank anytime I go out shooting. You can recommend any other guns you would like. I'd really like to know the pros and cons of both guns BUT I'm pretty instant on staying less than $300. Thanks!
Do not get a pf9 that sir is the worst firearm ice ever owned/fired. Completely in accurate and a pain to reasemble after cleaning. Havent shot the other but after shooting that for ccw id rather take my knife. You have to aim at the ceiling to even hit paper

Old 09-10-2012, 02:37 PM   #13

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Since both sellers are friends of yours you should ask them to let you test fire a full mag from each. You'll either love the PF-9 or hate it. I have a co-worker that carries his everyday and swears by it. I bought one and the firing pin stopped striking after 10 rounds. And those 10 that it did fire were painful as heck. I sold it, saved up and bought a Sig P938 and absolutely love it. I would def try to test fire the pistols first. Best of luck!!

Old 09-10-2012, 03:24 PM   #14

Liked 247 Times on 169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoyleTheDog
Since both sellers are friends of yours you should ask them to let you test fire a full mag from each. You'll either love the PF-9 or hate it. I have a co-worker that carries his everyday and swears by it. I bought one and the firing pin stopped striking after 10 rounds. And those 10 that it did fire were painful as heck. I sold it, saved up and bought a Sig P938 and absolutely love it. I would def try to test fire the pistols first. Best of luck!!
Lol i traded mine the day i shot it

Old 09-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #15

Liked 270 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 27

farmboy the tcp is easier to control. Like you said, shoot both first and then deside. You will have better performance with hp ammo with a 9mm and its slightly cheaper to buy. When you shoot that pf-9 just get a good tight grip. Don't worry to much about how accurately you shoot ether at first. That comes with time.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:43 PM   #16

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperSC View Post
I have a smith & wesson bodyguard .380 and love it. I paid around 300 for mine with a box of ammo. I shopped around local gun stores and found them between $275 and $350.
The .380 pocket pistols aren't going to have the power as larger caliber 9mm or 40, but they are great 'get the f*** off me guns'.
WOW that's cheap I just bought one at wholesale for $320!

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:24 PM   #17

More than likely used prices at $275 . But 350 will get you into there air weights with a 642

Old 09-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #18

Liked 36 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Had my TCP for several years. Unfortunately, the serial # ended in A, which means it was an early production model. Had problems at first with FTE after 2nd round. After about 200-300 rounds, I have found it works perfectly as long as I use jacked HP's in about any brand. For what ever reason, jacked round nose still FTE from time to time. Not a problem for me since I use only JHP's anyway. It's my primary carry in the summer and BUG in the cooler months. Thinking about buying a 2nd TCP for winter, then can carry two guns and 2 extra mags. If you buy one, make sure the serial # DOES NOT END IN "A." Go for serial # ending in "C" and you'll be in great shape.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:09 PM   #19

Good advise