New Ohio Resident with FL CC Permit
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > New Ohio Resident with FL CC Permit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 06:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New Ohio Resident with FL CC Permit

After looking around and reading I'm still not sure if my license is valid. Any input or links for further reading will be appreciated.

Here is my scenario:
I lived in Florida last year and received a Concealed Carry Permit. This year I have moved to Ohio as a full time permanent resident. Is my Florida CCW Permit valid in Ohio under the Reciprocity? Or should I apply for an Ohio CCW Permit? Also, if so, can I transfer my permit?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

You should apply.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:04 AM   #3

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Not with out haveing your primary residence in florida your ccw is no good. Get your ohio permit as soon as you can.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:15 AM   #4

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Does your Florida CCW License have your current address on it?

NO.

ERGO: It's NO LONGER VALID.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-25-2013, 12:22 AM   #5

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts

I went through the same thing when I moved from Michigan to Nevada. Even though I had a MI CCW as soon as I changed my license over to Nevada I stopped carrying and had to take the class and reapply for a NV one.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:55 AM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermcgill
After looking around and reading I'm still not sure if my license is valid. Any input or links for further reading will be appreciated.

Here is my scenario:
I lived in Florida last year and received a Concealed Carry Permit. This year I have moved to Ohio as a full time permanent resident. Is my Florida CCW Permit valid in Ohio under the Reciprocity? Or should I apply for an Ohio CCW Permit? Also, if so, can I transfer my permit?
You should get an Ohio permit ASAP to avoid any possible legal issues. Better safe than sorry!

Old 03-25-2013, 09:18 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermcgill View Post

Here is my scenario:
Your carry permit is no more valid than your Florida voters registration card.

Having the Florida permit may or may not help you in your quest for an Ohio permit, so I would mention that you have it if you ever get to talk to a real person at the licensing agency.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:21 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Does your Florida CCW License have your current address on it?

NO.

ERGO: It's NO LONGER VALID.
Did you know that the newer CCW license does not have an address on it? I was amazed. My daughter moved when she shed the leech she was married to, and asked me about changing her address. I pretty much said what you did, and she told me it didn't have any address listed.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:18 AM   #9

Liked 129 Times on 82 Posts

Note - we are all providing non-expert legal advice.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html

You should be good, Ohio doesn't fall under category 4. OH doesn't recognize most weapons as FL does for conceal carry, only firearms.
Many places offer getting the FL license in lieu of OHs. Many others recommend still getting OHs as well.
Whereabouts are you living in OH? There are places everywhere that have CCW courses. They would clarify a little better for you.
I am a resident of Ohio and have a FL permit. At the time they(FL) had quite a few more reciprocity states. That has changed a lot now though.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #10

Liked 489 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 228

If a license is obtained in any state and then you move and are no longer a resident of that state then that license is no longer valid, period. At that time in order to be licensed in that state a non resident license would have to be obtained. Most states don't have non resident permits, but Fla does.

If stopped by LE in Ohio for carrying you will be asked to present your driver's license for additional ID along with your resident Fla CWP. You had better show them a driver's license with a Fla address.