Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > New From Ohio - Conceal questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Default New From Ohio - Conceal questions

First attempt at posting. Don't know if there is a concealed carry area to post in.
Looking for opinions on concealed carry - gun - and carry method.
I Have a Ruger LCP and back pocket holster which works very well for me. But I would like to expand to other guns and other carry positions. I have a S&W 438 Airweight but inside the waistband carry has not yet worked for me,
I like the simplicity, directness, and reliability of revolvers.
Might consider another type - Is there enough difference between Ruger's LCR and the S&W 438 to make it an easier carry? Is the Ruger SP101 good?

I have been considering different small auto's - like the Beretta Tomcat and Bobcat. I am not in the camp of "ya gotta have a big caliber". I believe you carry what you can and are willing to carry - whatever that caliber happens to be.
I have a Ruger LC9 - but have not carried that yet either. I always seem to fall back on the LCP.
Considered Sig's 238 for an additional 380. It's a little larger and heavier - but it is a mini 1911 - with the safety issue. I am not big on short throw, light triggers after the safety is removed. Long throw triggers seem to provide an very good measure of safety against accidental firings.

Those are my thoughts. I'm 5' 10", 183 lb. Wear casual and T shirts in summer and casual dress slacks and shirt often.

I'd like to expand my possibilities from only the LCP carry.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 756 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Welcome aboard the FTF! I, too, carry as backup a Rugers LCP .380 in lieu of carrying concealed the heavy S&W 457. No doubt the answers to your other questions will be forthcoming, as this forum has an array of knowledgeable members.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:28 PM   #3

Liked 32 Times on 18 Posts

Wow, where to begin... Well what part of Ohio are you in? I'm in canton/akron area here. If you're close enough, lets just go to the range and you can try out a bunch of my different guns and holsters and see what you like.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #4

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Welcome. In the "Hand Gun" section there is a "Concealed Carrying" forum where you'll find a lot of info. As to where & how to carry, that's a personal choice only you can make. Personally, there is no way & could carry in my back pocket. I have degenerative disc disease & having anything too thick in my back pocket, if sitting for long periods, can be a problem. I carry the thinnest wallet I can find with only my driver's license & CHL in it, along with a little cash.

Inside the waist band is out unless I don't want to buy new trousers. So I carry OWB & have found that crossdraw works best for me because I spend most of my time seated & it works real well when traveling, even with a seat belt engaged. Also, I wear loose fitting untucked shirts so I am not limited to a small firearm, even in hot weather.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8440 Times on 3662 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Gonna move your post over to the concealed carry thread- you will get more responses.

You are following Rule #1 of Gunfighting- Have a gun! While some folks may sneer at a smaller gun, it beats the heck out of the 3 lb pistol you left at home because it was too heavy for everyday carry.

I am also a revolver fan- because the reliability is quite high.

And welcome to the forum- glad you found your way here. When you get a minute, stop by the introductions thread and say hello.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

levelcross Likes This 
Old 08-14-2012, 04:26 AM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You have only to pick the gun and style that suits you for carry. With your size and dress you can carry anything you desire.
the Tomcat and Bearcat are nice range guns, but I would not recommend them for carry.
You seem to have an issue with 1911's, First off, there is no trigger throw.
There is no safety issue. Yes the trigger stroke is shorter, but that is a design feature not a safety issue as there a 4 safetys on every 1911, the grip safety, the thumb safety, the trigger, and more importantly your brain. If you don't like the 1911 style pistol, please, please seek immediate medical assitance, cause you got a problem.
Serious stuff - you carry what you are comfortable or good with, It means training and practise and more practise. You or I can not just put a firearm on our hip and think we are a good CCW user.

45 Junkie

Old 08-14-2012, 04:35 AM   #7

Liked 91 Times on 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby
First attempt at posting. Don't know if there is a concealed carry area to post in.
Looking for opinions on concealed carry - gun - and carry method.
I Have a Ruger LCP and back pocket holster which works very well for me. But I would like to expand to other guns and other carry positions. I have a S&W 438 Airweight but inside the waistband carry has not yet worked for me,
I like the simplicity, directness, and reliability of revolvers.
Might consider another type - Is there enough difference between Ruger's LCR and the S&W 438 to make it an easier carry? Is the Ruger SP101 good?

I have been considering different small auto's - like the Beretta Tomcat and Bobcat. I am not in the camp of "ya gotta have a big caliber". I believe you carry what you can and are willing to carry - whatever that caliber happens to be.
I have a Ruger LC9 - but have not carried that yet either. I always seem to fall back on the LCP.
Considered Sig's 238 for an additional 380. It's a little larger and heavier - but it is a mini 1911 - with the safety issue. I am not big on short throw, light triggers after the safety is removed. Long throw triggers seem to provide an very good measure of safety against accidental firings.

Those are my thoughts. I'm 5' 10", 183 lb. Wear casual and T shirts in summer and casual dress slacks and shirt often.

I'd like to expand my possibilities from only the LCP carry.
If you have a Ruger LC9 and don't want to carry IWB try a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster (check amazon.com) that is how I carry mine most days in my right front pocket. Spend $20 on a new holster before $400 on a new gun.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:18 AM   #8

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc29th View Post
If you have a Ruger LC9 and don't want to carry IWB try a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster (check amazon.com) that is how I carry mine most days in my right front pocket. Spend $20 on a new holster before $400 on a new gun.
Do you carry the LC9 inside waistband? Which holster - and how does it work for you?
For me, the LC9 is a nice gun to shoot. Less recoil than my other small guns - and it's cheap ammo -- and good ammo - 9 mm. and I shoot it well - nice groups. I just haven't made friends with it as a carry gun yet. Any suggestions are good suggestions....

Old 08-15-2012, 01:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby

Do you carry the LC9 inside waistband? Which holster - and how does it work for you?
For me, the LC9 is a nice gun to shoot. Less recoil than my other small guns - and it's cheap ammo -- and good ammo - 9 mm. and I shoot it well - nice groups. I just haven't made friends with it as a carry gun yet. Any suggestions are good suggestions....
I carry my LC9 two ways in my front pocket or IWB at 4 o'clock.

For pocket carry here is what I use a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster I got on Amazon.com for about $20

forumrunner_20120815_092159.jpg

For IWB I use a N8^2 tactical holster

http://n82tactical.com/

It's about $70 for the new professional model but worth it.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:37 PM   #10

Also a good 1 1/2 inch leather belt is key to any IWB holster.