New job; can't carry :-( - Page 4

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > New job; can't carry :-(

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc29th View Post
I've never heard of dogs that could sniff out ammo before. Explosives yes but 6 rounds of .380 in your LCR no way dogs are going sniff that out. Get a good lock box and lock it up.
You can bet they can scent gunpowder if there is a loaded weapon in the car. Whether it is old residue on the gun or powder dust left over from the ammo production process is unknown to me, and my Malinois isn't talking. He can also scent skin cells on the ground and in the air. Never underestimate a dog's nose.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:34 PM   #32

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Okay, issue finally resolved. After a call to Texas Law Shield (a must if you have a CHL in Texas), the law is this: It is legal to keep a firearm in a locked car in a school parking lot in Texas. 30.06 signs are only for private property, so they don't apply on property that is owned by a government entity, like a school district.

There is, however, a catch; if the school district has a policy that employees may not have firearms in their cars on school property, I might lose my job if I'm found out -- even though there will be no legal consequences. Schools (and a few other employers) were exempted from the law on that score, which otherwise protects employees who choose to keep weapons in their cars.

But: The district in question in my case has no such policy. Ergo, I'm completely in the clear, even if my weapon is detected. Since I'm only going to be teaching in middle schools, where there is no student parking anyway, I don't think I have anything to worry about. Lockbox is already under the seat and secured to the car with steel cable. Done, and done.

"Valor needs first strength, then a weapon."
-- J. R. R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

"Free men have arms; slaves do not."
-- William Blackstone (1723-1780)

Old 12-04-2012, 02:16 AM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 330 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Good for you. Amazing what a call to the proper people will yield for answers. Do you get a copy of the regulations for CCW when you're issued the liscence? I sure wish I lived in such a gun friendly state.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:15 AM   #34

Liked 287 Times on 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnorman18 View Post
Starting a new job in January; substitute teaching, hoping to get on as a regular teacher in the spring or fall. That's good -- I was a teacher for 20+ years, 10 years ago -- but I won't be able to carry. Federal felony, all that. Carrying anyway is out of the question -- they sweep the buildings & parkng lots regularly with sniffer dogs, and they'll alert on ammo as well as drugs.
Suggestions?
Red sthwingline sthtapler to the head, can be just an arms length away. Or a tactical pen, I guess. I just got a couple and while I feel no advantage with one than I do without, it could come in handy if used. Would save a jammed or broken finger or two.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:49 AM   #35

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY

Don't carry------
What he said.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #36

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnorman18 View Post
But: The district in question in my case has no such policy. Ergo, I'm completely in the clear, even if my weapon is detected. Since I'm only going to be teaching in middle schools, where there is no student parking anyway, I don't think I have anything to worry about. Lockbox is already under the seat and secured to the car with steel cable. Done, and done.
Sounds like legally you have it covered. If the cabled lock box is similar to this one, you might consider something a little stronger since your gun is there all day long. These type boxes tend to give a false sense of security and a thief with a pair of dykes can very easily cut the cable. Some think a screwdriver is just as quick.They seem to be better suited for a quick stop at the Post Office, etc.
gv200-failed-latch-screwdriver.jpg  

Glenn
FAS1SAFE

Last edited by FAS1; 12-05-2012 at 08:54 PM.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:59 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Develop a limp, and start using a cane. Problem solved.

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:51 PM   #38

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
Develop a limp, and start using a cane. Problem solved.
You really meant to put a couple of 's at the end of that "advice" ---right?

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-05-2012, 09:17 PM   #39

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS1

Sounds like legally you have it covered. If the cabled lock box is similar to this one, you might consider something a little stronger since your gun is there all day long. These type boxes tend to give a false sense of security and a thief with a pair of dykes can very easily cut the cable. Some think a screwdriver is just as quick.They seem to be better suited for a quick stop at the Post Office, etc.
Mine is a good deal more robust, with a combi lock instead of a keyed one. Thanks, though.

"Valor needs first strength, then a weapon."
-- J. R. R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

"Free men have arms; slaves do not."
-- William Blackstone (1723-1780)