New job; can't carry :-( - Page 3

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > New job; can't carry :-(

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 04:58 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 330 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I'm in a similar situation as a HS teacher with a 27 mile drive each way. I don't have any rough neighborhoods to go through, just rural roads. I keep a get home bag in my trunk. No firearms but several survival/hunting items.

I have not heard of a drug sniffing dog that will also detect to ammo. Those dogs are trained to specific smells. If you want to put a gun in the car you could vacuum seal it and the mags. When they bring the drug dogs through my school they don't take them through the teachers' parking lot.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:17 PM   #22

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I live in two cities, one being a small country city and one being a medium urban city. There are a lot of teachers who keep their guns in their cars especially around hunting season (one in the urban city even has a rifle rack in his truck) . In the country city even some of the students keep their rifles in the cars/trucks. I am not saying do it but we have dogs in both towns and they find drugs not weapons and do not search teachers cars.

Last edited by ResidentialPyro; 12-02-2012 at 05:19 PM.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:29 PM   #23

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I would still park off campus and get a good strong lockbox for your car. I don't like being unarmed on the days that I can't carry because I have to go on a military installation. Being there is not the problem, but the rest of the day is. I take my personal security seriously and no one at that school will give a crap if you are mugged somewhere else.

Glenn
FAS1SAFE

Old 12-02-2012, 07:35 PM   #24

Liked 91 Times on 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post

I believe a dog certainly can sniff that out.
Perhaps in theory they could but being police dogs they'd smell the ammo carried by their police handlers continuously an would never find anything.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #25
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7146 Times on 4302 Posts
Likes Given: 8684

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc29th View Post
Perhaps in theory they could but being police dogs they'd smell the ammo carried by their police handlers continuously an would never find anything.
I was once told by a police officer that even if his dog smelled marijuana on me, he would not 'alert' unless he was told to work.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:33 PM   #26

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

bring a half pound of old powder, and scatter it about, good fertilizer makes the grass greener

Old 12-02-2012, 08:37 PM   #27

Liked 91 Times on 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teenahlake View Post
bring a half pound of old powder, and scatter it about, good fertilizer makes the grass greener
I black powder shoot / reenact there is at least a 1/2 lbs of loose power in the carpets of my car. Any explosive sniffing dog would loose his mind smelling my car :-)

Also if my car catches fire it's going to go Hollywood! :-)

Old 12-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1616 Times on 1107 Posts
Likes Given: 569

The walking stick is the best idea. A friend of mine who has no training other than downing beer beat a plain clothes ALE agent badly with a walking stick. It was a case of mistaken identity. The ALE agent just tried to tackle him when he walked out of a grocery store with out warning. The encounter ended badly for the ALE agent. He also sued the state of NC and won the maximum amount allowed by law.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:10 PM   #29

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Good news; finally found the straight answer from the Texas CHL website.

Quote:
Q: Can a license holder have a handgun in their vehicle in a school parking lot?

A: A license holder is not prohibited from having a handgun in his or her vehicle in a school parking lot if the parking lot is not posted with the 30.06 signage described above.
(School employees should know and comply with their employer’s policy on this point.)
It is, however, a criminal offense for any person who is on school property to exhibit, use, or threaten to exhibit or use a firearm.
See Texas Education Code § 37.125(a).
There are no 30.06 signs in any school parking lots in the district. Therefore: Lockbox under the seat, say nothing to anyone, and I should be in the clear whether it's detected or not -- and from what I've read here, it doesn't sound like that's likely anyway.

I'll be carrying the stick anyway. Thanks to everyone!

"Valor needs first strength, then a weapon."
-- J. R. R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

"Free men have arms; slaves do not."
-- William Blackstone (1723-1780)

Old 12-02-2012, 09:15 PM   #30

Liked 2180 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnorman18
Good news; finally found the straight answer from the Texas CHL website.

There are no 30.06 signs in any school parking lots in the district. Therefore: Lockbox under the seat, say nothing to anyone, and I should be in the clear whether it's detected or not -- and from what I've read here, it doesn't sound like that's likely anyway.

I'll be carrying the stick anyway. Thanks to everyone!
Sounds GUD- just keep it outta site & watch for sighs that may be posted in the future-

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET