Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > New job; can't carry :-(

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 09:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default New job; can't carry :-(

Starting a new job in January; substitute teaching, hoping to get on as a regular teacher in the spring or fall. That's good -- I was a teacher for 20+ years, 10 years ago -- but I won't be able to carry. Federal felony, all that. Carrying anyway is out of the question -- they sweep the buildings & parkng lots regularly with sniffer dogs, and they'll alert on ammo as well as drugs.
Suggestions?

"Valor needs first strength, then a weapon."
-- J. R. R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

"Free men have arms; slaves do not."
-- William Blackstone (1723-1780)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-28-2012, 10:05 PM   #2

Liked 283 Times on 228 Posts
Likes Given: 1243

what about a knife? just a thought or like a flap jack, monkey fist or a tactical pen

not trying to make a joke or anything but i think your gana have to rely on the guards you have at the school, not that thats much good either. we have city cops that stay at the schools armed an all but they cant be everywhere all the time.

edit: back in my day we had no problem closing a fist and fightin that time is long gone im afraid

Last edited by racer_x; 11-28-2012 at 10:09 PM.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:10 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1764 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnorman18 View Post
Starting a new job in January; substitute teaching, hoping to get on as a regular teacher in the spring or fall. That's good -- I was a teacher for 20+ years, 10 years ago -- but I won't be able to carry. Federal felony, all that. Carrying anyway is out of the question -- they sweep the buildings & parkng lots regularly with sniffer dogs, and they'll alert on ammo as well as drugs.
Suggestions?
Number one, you don't mention what grades you'll be teaching, but if it's middle school you don't want the temptation that readily available anyway. Those kids could tick off the pope. Second, check your local statutes about non-firearm defense weapons on school property.

Whatever you decide, check your statutes. I can't emphasize that enough. Make darn sure you will be legal in your locale before you do anything.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:26 AM   #4

Yeah, I understand all that. To clarify; I'm not worried about being attacked at school -- it's that the district is about 30 miles away, and I have to drive through some tough neighborhoods. Oh, wow, I just remembered the Henry survival rifle I keep in the spare tire recess with 100 rounds of ammo. Better get that outta there.

No knives for me, other than a small jackknife that's definitely a tool and not a weapon (I collect knives, and have many; but knife fighting is for experts, and I'm not one.) The monkey fist is a good idea, with a nice fat ball bearing in the center. I have a blackjack, but that's getting into felony territory too -- though the dogs couldn't smell it. Hmm.

I have a tactical pen, and after I'm on the job and known a bit better I could begin taking one of my Blackthorn sticks, which I've always thought is better than anything but pepper spray. I taught for 20 years before I had a permit; I'll be OK, but I hate to give up my LCP.

I'll be teaching 5th through 8th at first, and may later move up to high school, but I doubt it. I'm certified through 8th, so that's where my target job is. Not to worry about MY temper -- I seem to have been born without one, which is handy when you're a middle school teacher. Only one person on Earth could ever really piss me off, and she made a religion of it. We're not married any more.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:42 AM   #5

Liked 156 Times on 93 Posts

Do you think it would be possible to pursue permission from the school board superintendant or something to allow you to keep it in your vehicle? Anything short of that, I think you are just plain SOL.

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved

Old 11-29-2012, 05:32 AM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

How about parking off school property

Old 11-29-2012, 11:11 AM   #7

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Yeah, I understand all that. To clarify; I'm not worried about being attacked at school -- it's that the district is about 30 miles away, and I have to drive through some tough neighborhoods. Oh, wow, I just remembered the Henry survival rifle I keep in the spare tire recess with 100 rounds of ammo. Better get that outta there.

No knives for me, other than a small jackknife that's definitely a tool and not a weapon (I collect knives, and have many; but knife fighting is for experts, and I'm not one.) The monkey fist is a good idea, with a nice fat ball bearing in the center. I have a blackjack, but that's getting into felony territory too -- though the dogs couldn't smell it. Hmm.

I have a tactical pen, and after I'm on the job and known a bit better I could begin taking one of my Blackthorn sticks, which I've always thought is better than anything but pepper spray. I taught for 20 years before I had a permit; I'll be OK, but I hate to give up my LCP.

I'll be teaching 5th through 8th at first, and may later move up to high school, but I doubt it. I'm certified through 8th, so that's where my target job is. Not to worry about MY temper -- I seem to have been born without one, which is handy when you're a middle school teacher. Only one person on Earth could ever really piss me off, and she made a religion of it. We're not married any more.
If you rethought your position on knives, learned a little, and realized that anyone wielding a knife in a sure handed way is a threat to the opposing person - and is recognized as a real threat - if the bad guy sees more than a weak-wristed flashing of a knife by his opponent -- the knife could be your friend.
Just requires a change of thinking and a little bit of training.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:32 PM   #8

Liked 2176 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Suggestions?
Don't carry------

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

People Like This 
Old 11-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #9

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Don't carry------
This and maybe finding a way to park school property is really your only option. I would not even bring the idea up to the school board or super. They will mark you as trouble at the very least and it may cost you the job.

''I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
J.B. Books

Old 11-29-2012, 03:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1969

This and maybe finding a way to park school property is really your only option. I would not even bring the idea up to the school board or super. They will mark you as trouble at the very least and it may cost you the job.
Precisely. Parking off school property would mark me with a big ? too.

Re knives -- I own a Spyderco Civilian, which was designed as a self-defense knife for nonexperts. That's an option too, but I think I'll hold out for the walking stick. Thanks for all the advice --