Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   New job; can't carry :-( (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/new-job-cant-carry-77319/)

cnorman18 11-28-2012 10:22 PM

New job; can't carry :-(

Starting a new job in January; substitute teaching, hoping to get on as a regular teacher in the spring or fall. That's good -- I was a teacher for 20+ years, 10 years ago -- but I won't be able to carry. Federal felony, all that. Carrying anyway is out of the question -- they sweep the buildings & parkng lots regularly with sniffer dogs, and they'll alert on ammo as well as drugs.
Suggestions?

racer_x 11-28-2012 11:05 PM

what about a knife? just a thought or like a flap jack, monkey fist or a tactical pen :rolleyes:

not trying to make a joke or anything but i think your gana have to rely on the guards you have at the school, not that thats much good either. we have city cops that stay at the schools armed an all but they cant be everywhere all the time.

edit: back in my day we had no problem closing a fist and fightin that time is long gone im afraid

Doc3402 11-28-2012 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnorman18 (Post 1031069)
Starting a new job in January; substitute teaching, hoping to get on as a regular teacher in the spring or fall. That's good -- I was a teacher for 20+ years, 10 years ago -- but I won't be able to carry. Federal felony, all that. Carrying anyway is out of the question -- they sweep the buildings & parkng lots regularly with sniffer dogs, and they'll alert on ammo as well as drugs.
Suggestions?

Number one, you don't mention what grades you'll be teaching, but if it's middle school you don't want the temptation that readily available anyway. Those kids could tick off the pope. Second, check your local statutes about non-firearm defense weapons on school property.

Whatever you decide, check your statutes. I can't emphasize that enough. Make darn sure you will be legal in your locale before you do anything.

cnorman18 11-29-2012 05:26 AM

Yeah, I understand all that. To clarify; I'm not worried about being attacked at school -- it's that the district is about 30 miles away, and I have to drive through some tough neighborhoods. Oh, wow, I just remembered the Henry survival rifle I keep in the spare tire recess with 100 rounds of ammo. Better get that outta there.

No knives for me, other than a small jackknife that's definitely a tool and not a weapon (I collect knives, and have many; but knife fighting is for experts, and I'm not one.) The monkey fist is a good idea, with a nice fat ball bearing in the center. I have a blackjack, but that's getting into felony territory too -- though the dogs couldn't smell it. Hmm.

I have a tactical pen, and after I'm on the job and known a bit better I could begin taking one of my Blackthorn sticks, which I've always thought is better than anything but pepper spray. I taught for 20 years before I had a permit; I'll be OK, but I hate to give up my LCP.

I'll be teaching 5th through 8th at first, and may later move up to high school, but I doubt it. I'm certified through 8th, so that's where my target job is. Not to worry about MY temper -- I seem to have been born without one, which is handy when you're a middle school teacher. Only one person on Earth could ever really piss me off, and she made a religion of it. We're not married any more.

MoreAltitude 11-29-2012 05:42 AM

Do you think it would be possible to pursue permission from the school board superintendant or something to allow you to keep it in your vehicle? Anything short of that, I think you are just plain SOL.

Sam78 11-29-2012 06:32 AM

How about parking off school property

Colby 11-29-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnorman18 (Post 1031689)
Yeah, I understand all that. To clarify; I'm not worried about being attacked at school -- it's that the district is about 30 miles away, and I have to drive through some tough neighborhoods. Oh, wow, I just remembered the Henry survival rifle I keep in the spare tire recess with 100 rounds of ammo. Better get that outta there.

No knives for me, other than a small jackknife that's definitely a tool and not a weapon (I collect knives, and have many; but knife fighting is for experts, and I'm not one.) The monkey fist is a good idea, with a nice fat ball bearing in the center. I have a blackjack, but that's getting into felony territory too -- though the dogs couldn't smell it. Hmm.

I have a tactical pen, and after I'm on the job and known a bit better I could begin taking one of my Blackthorn sticks, which I've always thought is better than anything but pepper spray. I taught for 20 years before I had a permit; I'll be OK, but I hate to give up my LCP.

I'll be teaching 5th through 8th at first, and may later move up to high school, but I doubt it. I'm certified through 8th, so that's where my target job is. Not to worry about MY temper -- I seem to have been born without one, which is handy when you're a middle school teacher. Only one person on Earth could ever really piss me off, and she made a religion of it. We're not married any more.

If you rethought your position on knives, learned a little, and realized that anyone wielding a knife in a sure handed way is a threat to the opposing person - and is recognized as a real threat - if the bad guy sees more than a weak-wristed flashing of a knife by his opponent -- the knife could be your friend.
Just requires a change of thinking and a little bit of training.

HOSSFLY 11-29-2012 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnorman18 (Post 1031069)
Suggestions?

Don't carry------

JD1969 11-29-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOSSFLY (Post 1031947)
Don't carry------

This and maybe finding a way to park school property is really your only option. I would not even bring the idea up to the school board or super. They will mark you as trouble at the very least and it may cost you the job.

cnorman18 11-29-2012 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD1969

This and maybe finding a way to park school property is really your only option. I would not even bring the idea up to the school board or super. They will mark you as trouble at the very least and it may cost you the job.

Precisely. Parking off school property would mark me with a big ? too.

Re knives -- I own a Spyderco Civilian, which was designed as a self-defense knife for nonexperts. That's an option too, but I think I'll hold out for the walking stick. Thanks for all the advice --