Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > New to Handguns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2009, 01:45 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyATL View Post
Thanks all for the tips!

Canebrake - no, it doesn't have to be an auto-loader. I have considered a revolver from a reliability standpoint. The only handguns I've ever fired were a 22, .380 and 9mm - and I preferred the 9 out of the three, so that's why I was leaning towards a 9. I'll have to try out a revolver too.

Jo - I definitely plan on training/practice. I've already registered for a gun saftey class that includes range time.

Anyhow, thanks all - I'm definitely looking forward to it!
Welcome here Emily!

Great job on getting the training. All the 9mm's out there are largely personal preference.

+1 for the CZ's.

Springfield Xd's
S&W's M&P's

Let us know how it goes!

Old 07-18-2009, 03:29 AM   #12

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

A Ruger P95 is an exelent choice, the best bang for the buck, 9mm is a exelent defense caliber...
A revolver is a very very good choice for a home firearm and for the first time shooter.... I would recomend you a Taurus Model 66, is a .357 caliber revolver, with its 7 round capacity is an exelent home defender... you can shoot 38spl rounds for training and practice, once you bacame proficient with it you can step-up to the most powerful .357 remington magnum, you still can use 38 spl +P for defense too... and the best is the price... run around less than $400...

Quotes from Bud's website:

Ruger P95 with SS slide: $321 (S&H included)

Taurus Model 66 in matte SS and 4" barrel: $414 (S&H included)

“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Last edited by AsmelEduardo; 07-18-2009 at 10:54 PM.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:01 AM   #13

EmilyATL,

1st- Welcome!!

Since you're new to firearms I also recommend a revolver.
Can't go wrong with Smith & Wesson or Ruger products.

I also recommend .38 caliber and that the revolver have some weight behind it. Although a heavy gun has some inconvenience in the carry aspect, but it has more of a controlable recoil than a light-weight revolver such as an "Airweight" design. When we were looking for a self-defense firearm for my wife, we decided to go with a revolver for simplicity and dependability; aim & shoot. She wanted an "Airweight", but I suggested a heavy model due to the fact that the Airweight's recoil could hurt her hand/wrist, because the recoil is greater on a lighter gun than a heavier gun. I feared if my wife's gun hurt her when practicing with it, she would most likely be reluctant to use it when it was necessary. Definitely Try before you Buy. Good to hear you're getting training.
Good luck on your quest.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:50 PM   #14

Liked 103 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I would think a revolver in .38 special would be perfect.Not too overpowered to practice with,not too underpowered to get the job done.Yes,it has no safeties,but in a moment of fear,I'd rather know there isn't any,and it takes a really hard trigger pull to set a revolver off,that's why It don't need a safety.Get a revolver,keep it loaded and in the same place everyday so you know where to run to to get your gun if needed

Old 07-19-2009, 01:50 PM   #15

Ok, so I ended up shooting quite a few and think I have it narrowed down. I did try quite a few revolvers (all 38)- a S&W 637 airweight, a Ruger LCR, and a S&W 686. The 637 I tried didn't have a hammer, so it was a REALLY long trigger pull - I didn't like this one at all, but I'm sure I would have liked the model with a hammer. I liked the Ruger LCR the best of the revolvers.

For the semi-automatics, I tried a Ruger P95 9mm, a Sig P232 380, a Sig P229 9 mm, and a Sig P239 9mm. The Sig P229 was way to big for me, so that one is definitely out. I liked the Sig P239 better than the Ruger P95 (I just shot much better with it and it felt better to me). My favorite of the 4 was the Sig P232 though. I don't know if the guy at the gun store was just trying to get me to spend more on a 9, but he told me several times a 380 doesn't have much stopping power and is not good for home defense. Is that true? Granted, I hope I never have to use it on an intruder, but even if I did, I'm certainly not hoping to kill someone. I just want to stop them. Is the 380 really not a good choice?

Old 07-19-2009, 02:24 PM   #16

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Emily - the .380 with proper ammunition (Speer Gold Dot HP) provides plenty of firepower, particularly in a semi-auto with 7-8 rd capacity. However, as stated previously, I would start out with a revolver for simplicity and reliability. In the heat of the moment it's easy to forget if the safety is on or off, where the safety is, or how to clear a jam. As far as not wanting to kill anybody, I would advise you to either get used to the fact that this is why you own a handgun, or to consider not even buying one. If you ever need to use it, you should shoot to kill - not to wound, that's movie crap and it doesn't work in real life, and may get YOU killed. Two shots to center of mass, or shoot until the threat is down - this is what is taught in ALL self-defensive shooting courses. It is also more than likely that you will be sued if you shoot someone. A practiced criminal trial lawyer can turn a criminal into a victim and a victim into a criminal!

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-19-2009, 02:48 PM   #17

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

My wife finally chose my Walther PPK/S as her gun of choice. Loaded with good ammo it will do the job just fine at normal defense distances. The Sig 232 is a great gun as well as I've owned a few. A bit cheaper alternative is a Bersa Thunder...

Old 07-19-2009, 02:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
Emily - the .380 with proper ammunition (Speer Gold Dot HP) provides plenty of firepower, particularly in a semi-auto with 7-8 rd capacity. However, as stated previously, I would start out with a revolver for simplicity and reliability. In the heat of the moment it's easy to forget if the safety is on or off, where the safety is, or how to clear a jam. As far as not wanting to kill anybody, I would advise you to either get used to the fact that this is why you own a handgun, or to consider not even buying one. If you ever need to use it, you should shoot to kill - not to wound, that's movie crap and it doesn't work in real life, and may get YOU killed. Two shots to center of mass, or shoot until the threat is down - this is what is taught in ALL self-defensive shooting courses. It is also more than likely that you will be sued if you shoot someone. A practiced criminal trial lawyer can turn a criminal into a victim and a victim into a criminal!
I completely agree - I am prepared to kill someone if it's them or me, but I just meant that I don't WANT to kill someone...

I guess I'll have to shoot a few more revolvers. I just wasn't nearly as comfortable shooting the revolver. The place I'm taking the class has a bigger selection of revolvers to practice with, so hopefully I'll find one that works better for me.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:01 PM   #19

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Indeed, well said Mag, owning a handgun comes with some serious responsibilities to one's self and others. If you are buying a handgun for self protection, that is exactly what it will do when you point it at someone and have to pull that trigger. The second part of one's responsibiliy comes after the incident is over with. The first part is usually the easy part for most, it's the second part that sucks big time. You will need to continue on with practice, practice and more practice and stay current with gun laws and legislation in your area and if you can afford it, take any offered defensive shooting courses that will continue your reaction time and shooting skills. Good luck and I hope you find the handgun you are wanting, no matter what you choose.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Last edited by IGETEVEN; 07-19-2009 at 03:03 PM.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:59 PM   #20

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
The second part of one's responsibiliy comes after the incident is over with. The first part is usually the easy part for most, it's the second part that sucks big time. Jack
Especially in gun-unfriendly states, like mine! Any a$$hole that breaks into my home or threatens me or my family will never see the inside of a court room! We do not have a "castle doctrine" in NY, but I would still rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"