New to Handguns
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > New to Handguns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2009, 06:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New to Handguns

Hi all, I've never owned a handgun and am looking to buy one for personal protection. We've had a few break-ins in the area and I'm home alone quite a bit at night. I know I need to go to a range and just practice with a few different guns to try to get a feel for what I want, but does anyone have any recommendations for a "Ladie's" gun (no, I don't want anything pink)? I really like the Sig P229, but I'm not sure if I want to spend that much on my first purchase. What are your thoughts on the Ruger P95? It's a pretty reasonably priced gun and I've read some good reviews about it. Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-17-2009, 06:22 PM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Welcome to the FTF. I can't give advice on a "ladies gun", I'm not a lady. But my SO likes a mid size 9mm. The 9mm is a good stopping round but not so strong it scares her. As for which one that's up to what fits you best and shoots most comfortable in your opinion.

PS after you choose and buy get some training and lots of practice.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:35 PM   #3

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

The Ruger P95 is a pretty decent and reliable choice of a handgun, and many people own and swear to their reliability, but to be honest, I have never played with one. As you stated, the best thing would be for you to do is visit a range and try out a few different makes and calibers. But I do think the 9mm would be a great choice for you in any brand, until you shoot a .40 then all the rules change.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 07-17-2009, 07:02 PM   #4

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

I have a Sig 229 and it's a great gun - but they are not cheap as you said. I know a lot of folks with Ruger P95s and they are a real workhorse of a gun. A 9mm is a good all around choice for a 1st handgun and Rugers are built like tanks and are generally very reliable...

Old 07-17-2009, 07:09 PM   #5

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Does it need to be an auto-loader?

This is a great CCW wheel gun:

^ Ruger LCR .38 Special +P

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-17-2009, 07:35 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

My wife is deadly accurate with her Smith & Wesson model 60 .357 revolver. She shoots .38 hollow points.

Revolvers are great first handguns. They're dependable and simple. Unless you are completely against a revolver try a few and see what you think.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-17-2009, 08:50 PM   #7

Thanks all for the tips!

Canebrake - no, it doesn't have to be an auto-loader. I have considered a revolver from a reliability standpoint. The only handguns I've ever fired were a 22, .380 and 9mm - and I preferred the 9 out of the three, so that's why I was leaning towards a 9. I'll have to try out a revolver too.

Jo - I definitely plan on training/practice. I've already registered for a gun saftey class that includes range time.

Anyhow, thanks all - I'm definitely looking forward to it!

Old 07-18-2009, 12:00 AM   #8

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

You really need to experience the trigger of the LCR.

You will become a 2stage believer!

It is so much improved over the standard stacking trigger!!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-18-2009, 01:28 AM   #9

The Only objections that I have with a revolver for a first gun is that most of them do not have a safety. I'm not ashamed to say that my first gun was a .22 Pistol. I used to carry that thing around as if it where .50. But for a first gun I would look for something that has a safety feature, not everyone is the same but some people just have that odd feeling sometimes, But I have to say that My favorite peice is the Smith&Wesson .38 Caliber Airweight. Thus the avitar. But guns never go to waste you buy one and don't like sell and buy yourself a new one, the are a wide variety of guns to match a wide variety of people. Go to a local firearm retailer and palm a few guns get a feel for them ,aim put the gun in holster, try it a few times and go from there.

P.S Buy Smith and Wesson. When you start looking at prices just remember, how much is your life worth.

Only One Bullet Left. Save It For Yourself.

Last edited by SWAirweight; 07-18-2009 at 01:29 AM. Reason: None

Old 07-18-2009, 01:57 AM   #10

I personally think that a wheel gun makes a perfect first gun from a simplicity standpoint. Something like a ruger gp-100 4" would be my first choice in home defense if I were using a revolver. If that were too big, then I'd look at the ruger SP-101 or ruger LCR. And as long as C&C was not a thought, then I'd go with the SP-101 simply because it would have less felt recoil.

If you're looking for a 9mm, then I'd highly recommend looking into a CZ. something like the cz compact or compact P-01 would be fantastic. They are every bit as good as a sig, but $200-300 less. (at least) Though they are still more expensive than a ruger 9mm.

Whichever you choose, make sure to get some good instruction and lots of practice. I would also highly recommend investing in a good .22 so you can practice a lot without breaking the bank. Something like a ruger mk.III would be great, and are around $270. So, if you have the money for a sig, buy the cz P-01 AND the ruger mk.III for the same price as the sig alone!

Just my thoughts.