Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   new to guns, thinking about getting my ccw (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/new-guns-thinking-about-getting-my-ccw-18742/)

darkendlight88 10-01-2009 08:52 PM

new to guns, thinking about getting my ccw

i am brand new to owning a gun. i have shot plenty of time but never owned one. i recently bought a ruger p95 and want to take advantage of my right and get my ccw. probelm is im 5'7 120lbs so im a small guy. what sorta holster would you guys recommend to succesfully conceal?

NitroxAZ 10-02-2009 01:39 AM

The class is a real eye opener. Also, Cane has a good post in the Knowledge Base called "Read this before you carry".

darkendlight88 10-02-2009 04:09 AM

Id like to read it but unfortenately it says i dont have enough privelage to access it

Jess 10-02-2009 10:32 AM

take the NRA personal protection of the home class. well worth the $$ and then spend lots of range time.

NGIB 10-02-2009 10:47 AM

A P95 is a very sturdy gun but it is a bit large and chunky. Holsters are like shoes in that we all have our personal preferences. The 2 main choices are inside the waist (IWB) and outside the waist (OWB). How do you intend to dress when you carry also is a huge factor. Also, where are you located as that makes a difference.

For example, the is no open carry in Florida so a gun must remain completely and totally concealed. Here in Georgia, we don't have to be so careful as we're allowed to carry either way if we have our license. With some more info, I'm sure we can help you out...

NitroxAZ 10-02-2009 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkendlight88 (Post 168924)
Id like to read it but unfortenately it says i dont have enough privelage to access it

All the more reason to become a Supporting Member:D

It is worth it.

darkendlight88 10-02-2009 06:59 PM

well i live in arizona were i can open carry without a permit. but i would like to carry concealed just to bring less attetion to me. especially dont want to give away the element of surprise to a BG. as far as clothes i usually wear jeans and a t shirt. neither are baggy on me so im afraid i dont think i will be able to successfully conceal the p95

NitroxAZ 10-02-2009 07:26 PM

I am in AZ also and just went through the class a couple of weeks ago or so. What area are you in?

darkendlight88 10-02-2009 08:14 PM

just moved from los angeles to phoenix

Don Davis 10-02-2009 11:54 PM

Ever thought about a smaller gun for CCW and using your P95 for home defense?

If so look into the Ruger LCP .380 (9mm short) - you can carry it in a front pocket in a DeSantis Nemesis Holster - works great for warm weather carry everywhere. It's in my pocket now.

In cool weather (not much of that here in Texas) I carry a Kimber .45 on my strong side hip OWB.

Take a look:

The Ruger LCP™ - Lightweight Compact Pistol

Commerce Storefront B2C

:)