Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   New Gun Owners (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/new-gun-owners-8641/)

Missouri_1 11-23-2008 01:30 AM

New Gun Owners

Auto, revolver, .shotgun, 38sp, 9mm, .357, 45 etc. Which is better for CCW or Home Defense? I think this discussion will go on until all forums are long gone.
The one thing that we all seem to overlook is the psychological and legal aspects of this issue. Are you prepared to take someoneís life? Iím not talking about if someone is holding a gun to your head and telling you that he is going to kill you. A scenario would be if a 14 year old kid comes up to you and demands your wallet and says he has a gun, would you shoot or not?
Very few of us excluding law enforcement and military personnel have every had to deal with a split second decision like this. We all talk about what we would do, but remember that action has to be taken in milliseconds.
Itís shame that while you were protecting your home or property the criminal or the criminals family could actually take you to court and win. I remember that my uncle who was a policeman always told me that if I shoot someone trying to get in my house to drag him in the house and put a knife or weapon in his hand. A couple of years ago in the news a man was trying to get inside a house pushing and turning the door knob. The owner shot him through the door. The bad guy claimed he thought it was his friends house and was just trying to get in, even after finding burglary tools and a gun on him. The bad guy took the owner to court and won! Most courts say that the use of deadly force must show that you felt that your life was threatened and prove it.
I grew up with firearms. My dad was the type ďif you mess with my property Iíll shoot youĒ. I hope that the younger people today that never been around weapons donít get a false sense of security because they now own a gun.
Would I shoot someone that broke into my house, the answer is YES.

Mark F 11-23-2008 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missouri_1 (Post 52011)
Auto, revolver, .shotgun, 38sp, 9mm, .357, 45 etc. Which is better for CCW or Home Defense? I think this discussion will go on until all forums are long gone.
The one thing that we all seem to overlook is the psychological and legal aspects of this issue. Are you prepared to take someoneís life? Iím not talking about if someone is holding a gun to your head and telling you that he is going to kill you. A scenario would be if a 14 year old kid comes up to you and demands your wallet and says he has a gun, would you shoot or not?
Very few of us excluding law enforcement and military personnel have every had to deal with a split second decision like this. We all talk about what we would do, but remember that action has to be taken in milliseconds.
Itís shame that while you were protecting your home or property the criminal or the criminals family could actually take you to court and win. I remember that my uncle who was a policeman always told me that if I shoot someone trying to get in my house to drag him in the house and put a knife or weapon in his hand. A couple of years ago in the news a man was trying to get inside a house pushing and turning the door knob. The owner shot him through the door. The bad guy claimed he thought it was his friends house and was just trying to get in, even after finding burglary tools and a gun on him. The bad guy took the owner to court and won! Most courts say that the use of deadly force must show that you felt that your life was threatened and prove it.
I grew up with firearms. My dad was the type ďif you mess with my property Iíll shoot youĒ. I hope that the younger people today that never been around weapons donít get a false sense of security because they now own a gun.

We don't have that problem in Texas, as the Castle Doctrine is clear about no legal reprecussion for BG's. Anyone that attampts to force their way into my home will DIE. No if's, no and's, no but's about it.

Fayettedave 11-24-2008 03:30 AM

Quote:

A scenario would be if a 14 year old kid comes up to you and demands your wallet and says he has a gun, would you shoot or not?

From a legal perspective, perhaps not. But in this gangbanger world we live in nowadays, if some little punk ass f**ker has the presence of mind and the balls to do that, then they better be ready to recieve some seriously harsh responses. I would have no problem letting him have one between the eyes.

Don't look for a pick-up game of hardball unless you are prepared to get the s**t knocked out of you.

sgtdeath66 11-24-2008 04:19 AM

well it depends on what your lookin for if you want home defense shotgun but ccw 45 auto would be my choice. now to go deeper on the matter, for ccw glock model 30, its .45 cal and small the best handgun ive EVER owned passed my ccw with it with flying colors, but home defense my shotty. its a 12 ga mossy 500 with a collapsable stock, tri rail picatinney foreend surefire gun light and sawd off, but "shhh" thats my p.o

sgtdeath66 11-24-2008 04:23 AM

Quote:

cryin shame, thats why the lovely sherrifs tought me to shout out "STOP" three times and then shoot. their exact words were "twice in the chest and once in the head, if they keep comming repeat untill they stay down" best teachers ive ever had