Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   new to the forum and looking for a 9mm for protection at and away from the home (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/new-forum-looking-9mm-protection-away-home-57467/)

ARoq12 02-11-2012 02:31 AM

new to the forum and looking for a 9mm for protection at and away from the home

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and somewhat to guns but have some experience.. Looking to take the ccw class soon to carry a pistol and looking for a trusty 9mm... Possibly the lc9 or sr9c? What is everyone's thoughts?? Thanks!

Paladin201 02-11-2012 02:35 AM

There are many different types and models of guns. What works for one person, doesn't for another. They each have advantages and disadvantages. You're best bet is to find a shooting range that rents guns. Have them explain the different types to you and try them out. Find what works for you. The best gun, is the gun you are comfortable operating and shooting.

rugerjazzkohai 02-11-2012 03:00 AM

Welcome to the forum. I agree that u should feel comfortable with a gun before using it for carry. Rent some guns and try a bunch out...who knows u may like a different caliber all together. I had a s&w 38 special but wasn't fond of revolvers. The a Taurus Millennium PT111 in 9mm. Dindnt like the double action trigger pull. Then I carried for a long time a Springfield XDm 9. Loved this gun! Eventually traded it for a 1911, but I plan on buying another XDm but in a 45 cal soon. I would recommend the XDm to everyone.

sweeper22 02-11-2012 03:19 PM

I think the SR9c is a solid first "do it all" gun for carry and home defense.

For your first (and probably for an abbreviated stint, your only) gun, I'd recommend staying away from micros and subcompacts (like the LC9). They're a little tougher to master, and usually lack the grip, capacity, and precision most would prefer in a home defense gun.

But this thing will likely become an affliction, and you'll soon have various guns for different applications. The best starter home defense plan is a pistol and a 12ga or 20ga shotgun. You may find that you eventually want different pistols for home defense and carry.

Ranger-6 02-11-2012 03:41 PM

I mostly carry the Phoenix HP22lr in a shoulder holster when I am out. I also have a hip holster for other times. I keep it loaded all the time, at home or when I am out and about. It is a great little gun, easy to carry and conceal.

ScottA 02-11-2012 04:09 PM

Handguns are a very personal choice. Like Paladin said, find someplace where you can fire or at least put your hands on many different guns. There are manufacturers to avoid. Stay away from the real cheap Saturday night special stuff. If you purchase from any of the major manufacturers, you should do well: Ruger, Smith & Wesson, Colt, Sig, FN, etc.

My 9mm is a Ruger SR9C. It took me almost 20 years to get a 9mm, and I finally picked it up last month. I'm very impressed with the pistol. It's lightweight, small profile for a hi-capacity gun, and has an excellent trigger.

Please stop by the Introductions section and tell us a little about yourself.

redfox 02-11-2012 05:06 PM

Our first was an Sr9c and we love it. It shoots great and is very easy to conceal. My wifehas now claimed it so I had to buy an xdm 45 ;)

ARoq12 02-12-2012 05:45 PM

Thanks everyone for all the advice and suggestions! Been to a local on gunstore to get a feel of alot of different guns, ill keep you all updated after i make my decision! Thanks again!

HOSSFLY 02-12-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARoq12 (Post 706424)
Thanks everyone for all the advice and suggestions! Been to a local on gunstore to get a feel of alot of different guns, ill keep you all updated after i make my decision! Thanks again!

One on bottom is tops :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...2000/45408.jpg