Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > New Firearm For Wife - Advice / Suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #61
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 459 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentacop View Post
Ooookay...Maybe any draw system is safe if you practice it...maybe...but there are some cases of Glock leg out there more than one criminal has been castrated without a trial for tucking a gun into his waistband . Rule #2...

I imagine I could design a jock strap holster but there's a 'vas defrens' between practice draws and drawing under stress .

The Glock 36 is a single-stack .45 , if that is any help .

Some guns are less reliable than one imagines . The smaller an auto-loader is, the more things have to happen quickly in a small space and that sometimes detracts from reliability . Based on my experience, I'd avoid .380s and be wary of tiny 1911s, especially in 9mm .
A lot of guns are less reliable than Glocks and Glocks aren't perfect .
I hate Glocks. They don't fit comfortably in my hand and are generally blocky and kind of bulky. I also want a 9 mm. He said that in the original post. Why would you suggest something that doesn't fit my requirements?

Also I don't criticise your chosen carry method, please don't criticise mine. Its not like I randomly woke up one day and decided I want to bra carry. I put a lot of serious thought into it and obviously I feel its more safe than going without a gun.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

artbrownsr Likes This 
Old 11-02-2013, 06:00 PM   #62

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts

As long as youre comfortable with your method of carry, and can get to it if need be, who cares what others' opinions are? Not everyone has the same preferences on what to carry or how.
Have you looked at DiamondBack? The DB9 might be a contender. A buddy's wife has one. Its kind of small in my big hands, and was a little finicky for awhile, but now seems reliable. It still doesnt like WWB ammo but I cant blame it there.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #63
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2750 Times on 1892 Posts
Likes Given: 558

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357

If we can find one, we'll take a look at it. Thank you.

Thanks for the suggestion, although it might be too thick for the chosen carry method. Would work fine, I think, for a man carrying IWB.
GREAT article on Walther In last months Guns & Ammo(On the cover,..The PPQ-M2 & the Stainless PPK in .22)...
Someone on here mentioned that It was a classier looking Gun then A Blo-I mean Glock...

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 11-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #64

Liked 79 Times on 55 Posts

I don't think he meant anything other than pointing out the inherent flaw in the flashbang, which is drawing ( under dangerous stress levels ), pointed at yourself. Normally a draw stayed away from. Can it be done? Absolutely, but I think that trianing, practice is paramount. Not so much you GG&C , but maybe others reading the post may not have thought about the little things sometimes the regular shooter already knows.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:43 PM   #65
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3721 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by 304inc
I don't think he meant anything other than pointing out the inherent flaw in the flashbang, which is drawing ( under dangerous stress levels ), pointed at yourself. Normally a draw stayed away from. Can it be done? Absolutely, but I think that trianing, practice is paramount. Not so much you GG&C , but maybe others reading the post may not have thought about the little things sometimes the regular shooter already knows.
Personally I don't see any more inherent danger in the flashbang's draw than drawing a gun from under the shoulder (armpit). With the flashbang, the gun is pulled straight down and is immediately present toward the target. Unless the woman has a giant belly, I cannot see what part of the body could possibly be flagged in the draw.

Reference the below video for case in point. Fast forward to right around the 4:00 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S72aeGdKmZw&feature=youtube_gdata

Always have clean socks.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #66
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2750 Times on 1892 Posts
Likes Given: 558

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357

Personally I don't see any more inherent danger in the flashbang's draw than drawing a gun from under the shoulder (armpit). With the flashbang, the gun is pulled straight down and is immediately present toward the target. Unless the woman has a giant belly, I cannot see what part of the body could possibly be flagged in the draw.

Reference the below video for case in point. Fast forward to right around the 4:00 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S72aeGdKmZw&feature=youtube_gdata
Yo,..she's Fast...I sure one person at least had an A-D at some point...But If it works,...Go for it!!

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 11-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #67
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2194 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

The only carry system that doesn't involve sweeping yourself during steps of the draw is a regular belt holster. Thats why its important to keep your finger off the trigger. I'm sure somebodies had NDs with pocket holsters ankle holsters shoulder holsters IWB and Belt holsters too. But if we stop using those we'll just have to walk around with our weapons drawn.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Old 11-02-2013, 09:40 PM   #68

Liked 221 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Going by this latest video, I can see how you could draw from the Flashbang without violating Rule #2 . Other vids gave me a different impression of the draw angles .
Complaining that Glocks don't fit your particular hands is like complaining that Siberia is too cold for you . Glocks are bought because of their trusted reliability, durability, ease of maintenance, simplicity and inherent accuracy . If you find another pistol that can equal a Glock in those respects and has a better trigger and ergonomics, buy it ---in fact, I'll buy one too !

Old 11-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #69
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3721 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentacop
Going by this latest video, I can see how you could draw from the Flashbang without violating Rule #2 . Other vids gave me a different impression of the draw angles . Complaining that Glocks don't fit your particular hands is like complaining that Siberia is too cold for you . Glocks are bought because of their trusted reliability, durability, ease of maintenance, simplicity and inherent accuracy . If you find another pistol that can equal a Glock in those respects and has a better trigger and ergonomics, buy it ---in fact, I'll buy one too !
There are many pistols that perform as well. M&Ps, Sigs, the XD line. Both our M&Ps fit my hand better than any Glock I've ever held.

Why in earth would someone settle for a gun that you don't like the ergos on just because of its "reliability, durability, ease of maintenance, simplicity, and inherent accuracy" when there are guns which equal Glocks in all those regards, as well as are more ergonomic??

Always have clean socks.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #70
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 459 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentacop View Post
Going by this latest video, I can see how you could draw from the Flashbang without violating Rule #2 . Other vids gave me a different impression of the draw angles .
Complaining that Glocks don't fit your particular hands is like complaining that Siberia is too cold for you . Glocks are bought because of their trusted reliability, durability, ease of maintenance, simplicity and inherent accuracy . If you find another pistol that can equal a Glock in those respects and has a better trigger and ergonomics, buy it ---in fact, I'll buy one too !
Ok...you are turning this into something completely unhelpful. There's a reason I don't live in Siberia and likewise there's a reason I won't buy a Glock. Stop suggesting it.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."