New Firearm For Wife - Advice / Suggestions - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > New Firearm For Wife - Advice / Suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2013, 03:36 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3727 Times on 2284 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA
Short trigger pull and no safety??? That sends shivers down my spine. That's a bad combo for a CC piece. She's already shot the Kahr. That was going to be my first recommendation as it is what I carry. You might also check out the Springfield EMP 9. It has some heft to it, short trigger pull, beautiful gun, but it does have the safety. IMO, safety is required on a SA carry piece. The Springfield XDS 9 is another option. I agree with others, the XD or XDM's are not "subcompact", but the XDS comes close.
Well it doesn't have to be a SA trigger such as a 1911. But she doesn't want the trigger pull to feel overly long. It is very subjective, I understand. Point of reference, she loves the trigger pull on her M&P9, which is rated at around 6.5 pounds.

It doesn't have to be a three pound trigger pull, and she understands that with shorter trigger pulls, thumb safeties are usually on the gun. Like I said, she isn't entirely opposed to a thumb safety.

She didn't like the Kahr at all. Neither did I for that matter. It isn't designed to be very conducive to shooting comfortably. What I mean by that is the "beavertail" knocks into the webbed area between the thumb and pointer finger. My wife only put 2-3 magazines through it of standard range ammo, and she had a small bruise there the next day. Its too bad actually, because personally I like the way the gun felt in my hand, and I like the size. But I didn't enjoy shooting it either.

The Springfield EMP is a good suggestion. We've looked at that in the past, mostly for myself. We've never shot it, though. We've thought about the XDs also. Personally I would feel a little better about getting one when the recall situation has calmed down a bit.

Always have clean socks.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:36 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 459 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post

Guess you never read the first post? Don't know of any single stack revolvers out there...

Here I'll list the basics for you.

- sub-compact
- 9mm
- heavier than 17.1 oz
- single stack
- the short trigger
- she would prefer no thumb safety, but doesn't mind if it has one if it means a short trigger pill
Also it should be lefty-friendly. That's what ruled out the Shield.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

MoHawk Likes This 
Old 10-31-2013, 04:09 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittmeba
Seems to me that the first decision is whether it will be a Semi-auto or revolver. This to me is the biggest difference in gun choices. This will provide a top level criteria for specific models to be evaluated. Once you determine this the caliber would be next. My decision would be pretty easy - either 9MM Semi or .357 revolver that would shoot .38 specials. You may next want to list gun mfgs and begin consideration of which model. This is where price may become a factor as well. When assessing what a gun should have and not have I'd make a list with the "Absolutely must haves" and "would like to have" (a safety, magazine qty, interchangeable palm/grips, sights, etc) Narrow it down to about 5, find a good gun shop and handle them all - pick the one that fits all/most of the criteria and the "hand" of the shooter. This should include testing of trigger pull and other personal preferences. I've gone thru much the same right now with the possibility of SP101 and M&P Shield for CCW.
All good advice. Thanks.

Always have clean socks.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:12 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Also I'm not sure a revolver is ruled out. Of course there are no single stacked revolvers, as that's impossible. I really kind of meant this thread to be about semi-autos, though, as she has a basic idea of what revolver she likes or doesn't like.

Always have clean socks.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:13 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2415 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 333

All I keep thinking is... My wife would never want something heavier than an LC9 in her bra.

But then again, she does have an abundance of "gifts" and they tend to get sensitive.

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

Old 10-31-2013, 04:30 PM   #26

Liked 81 Times on 56 Posts

Quote:
All I keep thinking is... My wife would never want something heavier than an LC9 in her bra.
Well then, it's way too late for my wife,, She could probably pack a Stoeger in there,lmao.

Boy I sure hope she does not read this, I was just kidding honey... probably not a Stoeger but a Smith and Wesson 500 for damn sure. Ha.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:32 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2415 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 333

Hey big boobied women have problems all of their own

Especially when they start breastfeeding.....

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

Old 10-31-2013, 04:40 PM   #28

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357
Alright ladies and germs, I'm starting this thread instead of my wife right now, because she's too busy laying in the tanning bed that we just bought to do it herself. Plus, let's be honest here, you all respect me more, so I know I'll get better answers than she will. Just kidding. No but seriously. My wife isn't comfortable with her M&P 9 (full size) for CC purposes. Its too durn big. She might CC it in a CC purse someday, but let's not worry about that in this thread. Here's the specifications she wants in a gun. Honestly I'm basically stumped: - sub-compact - 9mm (she is open to other calibers, but she doesn't like the .40 and isn't too keen on the .380) - she actually wants some relative weight for felt recoil absorption (point of reference, she shot a Kahr PM9 which I believe is 15.9 ounces and a Ruger LC9 which I believe is 17.1 ounces. She preferred shooting the Ruger, but if we could get a little bit more weight on it that would be good) - single stack is pretty important - the shorter the trigger, the better - she would prefer no thumb safety, but doesn't mind if it has one if it means a short trigger pull - she is pretty ambivalent about a grip safety. it doesn't matter one way or the other Honestly the only gun I can come up with that sort of fits her bill is the Sig P938. But it is only 17.5 ounces, and it has a thumb safety (which we would really prefer not if we can get away with it). The only other thing I would add is stellar customer service and/or a lifetime warranty. Thoughts? Advice? Experiences (good and bad) with various guns that might fit this bill? (Oh, and we know to go to a LGS and try guns and rent and whatnot. We've already been doing that. We just want more of an idea of what might fit the bill so we can know what to even think about).
Before ruling out the .380 have her try the Walther PPK with self defence loads It has weight to lower recoil, 8+1 comes with two mags and easily concealable.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:37 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 459 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:

But then again, she does have an abundance of "gifts" and they tend to get sensitive.
Im not sure how to put this, but my cup-runneth-over, so as far as Im concerned, another couple of pounds there would hardly be noticeable or if it is, it wouldn't be too difficult to manage. Definitely more comfortable than a toddler on my hip anyway.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Old 10-31-2013, 06:07 PM   #30

Liked 81 Times on 56 Posts

This is a touchy,, err.., sensitive,, err.. a subject to be handled delicately.....
I realize the thread got sidetracked a little bit,, But now it has my two all time favorite things in it,, guns and......uh, my wife....