Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > New Firearm For Wife - Advice / Suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2013, 10:13 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 858 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 522

OP, +1 on the SIG P938. I have one, and I don't think your wife will be disappointed.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:43 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1764 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

JW357,

One thing I might have missed. Did you tell us how she would like to carry it? IWB, OWB, shoulder rig, inside an arm sling? Yes, I've done the arm sling. Works like a champ. People look right at it, but never look in it.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:57 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 643 Times on 440 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Man if you didn't have the single stack requirement it opens up so many more options like sc Springfield xd 357 or a cz 2075. As it stands the couple you guys have named the only one I've handled I'd the sig and it's nice but not much to grab onto

this message was sent using my Barrett 50 straight to your brain.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:22 PM   #14
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

What about a Beretta Nano? 9 mm sub compact, comes with 1-6 round and 1-8 round these days. Super reliable. Only a 2 year warranty but it's a beretta, who needs a warranty?!

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 10-31-2013, 12:55 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2195 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Para ordnance ltc or lda in 9mm.

The lda is available in single and double action, single stack, 24 ounces, light but solid trigger pull. I shot it a grand total of 1 times probably 5 years ago and I don't even remember who had it but my overall impression was "want one."

I believe it does have a thumb safety. That might put a wrench in things for you depending on whether she likes the trigger pull.

image-1238051485.jpg

But look! Pretty......

I've never shot the LTC but somebody on another forum a long time ago in a galaxy far far away was screaming its praises in 9mm. Be forewarned: like a lot of 1911s the paras do have a break in period. A lot of guys claim they are "unreliable" because they never bother to break them in.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Last edited by DeltaF; 10-31-2013 at 12:58 PM.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:07 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3721 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402
JW357, One thing I might have missed. Did you tell us how she would like to carry it? IWB, OWB, shoulder rig, inside an arm sling? Yes, I've done the arm sling. Works like a champ. People look right at it, but never look in it.
You did miss it, but that's ok because it wasn't in the original post. Right now she intends to carry in a flashbang holster, which attaches to the bra strap. Given her varied and feminine styles of dress, she thinks that's one of the better methods for consistency and always having it on her body, rather than in a purse.

Always have clean socks.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:10 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3721 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball
As I mentioned in The other thread we were out looking again today too. Wife likes her SP101 & LCR but wants something even lighter! We're down to the Sig238, Bersa Thunder(also 380) or the Charter Arms undercover/off-duty... Now our friend who is the Library manager where we volunteer is in on it. She and her husband want to go with us, so she can pick out a New one because she Does Not like her 380... JW if your wife likes the SP 101 they have it in a 2.5", put the Houge Tamer grip on it!!! That was the make or break for Mz. Dr. F...
Good luck in your search. She wants something lighter than an LCR?! Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter
OP, +1 on the SIG P938. I have one, and I don't think your wife will be disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancslaughter
Man if you didn't have the single stack requirement it opens up so many more options like sc Springfield xd 357 or a cz 2075. As it stands the couple you guys have named the only one I've handled I'd the sig and it's nice but not much to grab onto
Yeah I know, but what can ya do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvsafe
What about a Beretta Nano? 9 mm sub compact, comes with 1-6 round and 1-8 round these days. Super reliable. Only a 2 year warranty but it's a beretta, who needs a warranty?!
I didn't know they only give a two year warranty. Still might be a possibility. How's the trigger feel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF
Para ordnance ltc or lda in 9mm. The lda is available in single and double action, single stack, 24 ounces, light but solid trigger pull. I shot it a grand total of 1 times probably 5 years ago and I don't even remember who had it but my overall impression was "want one." I believe it does have a thumb safety. That might put a wrench in things for you depending on whether she likes the trigger pull. But look! Pretty...... I've never shot the LTC but somebody on another forum a long time ago in a galaxy far far away was screaming its praises in 9mm. Be forewarned: like a lot of 1911s the paras do have a break in period. A lot of guys claim they are "unreliable" because they never bother to break them in.
Interesting on the Para....

Always have clean socks.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:16 PM   #18
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2008 Times on 1090 Posts
Likes Given: 724

Short trigger pull and no safety??? That sends shivers down my spine. That's a bad combo for a CC piece.

She's already shot the Kahr. That was going to be my first recommendation as it is what I carry.

You might also check out the Springfield EMP 9. It has some heft to it, short trigger pull, beautiful gun, but it does have the safety. IMO, safety is required on a SA carry piece. The Springfield XDS 9 is another option. I agree with others, the XD or XDM's are not "subcompact", but the XDS comes close.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 10-31-2013, 01:39 PM   #19

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Seems to me that the first decision is whether it will be a Semi-auto or revolver. This to me is the biggest difference in gun choices. This will provide a top level criteria for specific models to be evaluated.

Once you determine this the caliber would be next. My decision would be pretty easy - either 9MM Semi or .357 revolver that would shoot .38 specials.

You may next want to list gun mfgs and begin consideration of which model. This is where price may become a factor as well.

When assessing what a gun should have and not have I'd make a list with the "Absolutely must haves" and "would like to have" (a safety, magazine qty, interchangeable palm/grips, sights, etc)

Narrow it down to about 5, find a good gun shop and handle them all - pick the one that fits all/most of the criteria and the "hand" of the shooter. This should include testing of trigger pull and other personal preferences.

I've gone thru much the same right now with the possibility of SP101 and M&P Shield for CCW.

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Old 10-31-2013, 02:23 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2195 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittmeba
Seems to me that the first decision is whether it will be a Semi-auto or revolver. This to me is the biggest difference in gun choices. This will provide a top level criteria for specific models to be evaluated. Once you determine this the caliber would be next. My decision would be pretty easy - either 9MM Semi or .357 revolver that would shoot .38 specials. You may next want to list gun mfgs and begin consideration of which model. This is where price may become a factor as well. When assessing what a gun should have and not have I'd make a list with the "Absolutely must haves" and "would like to have" (a safety, magazine qty, interchangeable palm/grips, sights, etc) Narrow it down to about 5, find a good gun shop and handle them all - pick the one that fits all/most of the criteria and the "hand" of the shooter. This should include testing of trigger pull and other personal preferences. I've gone thru much the same right now with the possibility of SP101 and M&P Shield for CCW.
Guess you never read the first post? Don't know of any single stack revolvers out there...

Here I'll list the basics for you.

- sub-compact
- 9mm
- heavier than 17.1 oz
- single stack
- the short trigger
- she would prefer no thumb safety, but doesn't mind if it has one if it means a short trigger pill

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."