New Firearm For Wife - Advice / Suggestions
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > New Firearm For Wife - Advice / Suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2013, 05:35 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Default New Firearm For Wife - Advice / Suggestions

Alright ladies and germs, I'm starting this thread instead of my wife right now, because she's too busy laying in the tanning bed that we just bought to do it herself. Plus, let's be honest here, you all respect me more, so I know I'll get better answers than she will. Just kidding.

No but seriously. My wife isn't comfortable with her M&P 9 (full size) for CC purposes. Its too durn big. She might CC it in a CC purse someday, but let's not worry about that in this thread.

Here's the specifications she wants in a gun. Honestly I'm basically stumped:

- sub-compact
- 9mm (she is open to other calibers, but she doesn't like the .40 and isn't too keen on the .380)
- she actually wants some relative weight for felt recoil absorption (point of reference, she shot a Kahr PM9 which I believe is 15.9 ounces and a Ruger LC9 which I believe is 17.1 ounces. She preferred shooting the Ruger, but if we could get a little bit more weight on it that would be good)
- single stack is pretty important
- the shorter the trigger, the better
- she would prefer no thumb safety, but doesn't mind if it has one if it means a short trigger pull
- she is pretty ambivalent about a grip safety. it doesn't matter one way or the other

Honestly the only gun I can come up with that sort of fits her bill is the Sig P938. But it is only 17.5 ounces, and it has a thumb safety (which we would really prefer not if we can get away with it).

The only other thing I would add is stellar customer service and/or a lifetime warranty.

Thoughts? Advice? Experiences (good and bad) with various guns that might fit this bill?

(Oh, and we know to go to a LGS and try guns and rent and whatnot. We've already been doing that. We just want more of an idea of what might fit the bill so we can know what to even think about).

Always have clean socks.

MoHawk Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-31-2013, 05:52 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6573 Times on 3638 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Why don't you want a thumb safety? That doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

If you could overlook the thumb safety, you could try one of these.

It comes in 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP. The 9mm version is 8+1. The 45 ACP version weighs 22.7 oz. (does not specify on 9mm version). It's $1200 MSRP

http://www.stiguns.com/products/guns/pistols/personal-protection-pistols/

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 10-31-2013 at 06:04 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-31-2013, 05:57 AM   #3

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Best small 9mm I've shot in a good while is the Sig 938.
They do have a safety but have really nice triggers

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

People Like This 
Old 10-31-2013, 05:58 AM   #4

I found one that might be what your looking for.

Springfield Armory XD Sub Compact. Holds 13+1 rounds of 9mm with the compact mag, or 16+1 with the grip extension mag. Weighs 26oz-27oz empty. It has a grip safety and a trigger safety. It is a double stack, but it's not a thick gun (to me). I've shot the full sized version, and the grip wasn't too thick. Quite comfortable actually. I don't remember how long the pull is on the trigger though.

Cabelas has them listed for under $550. You might find them cheaper elsewhere.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php?version=59

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Springfield-Armory-XD-Subcompact-Pistols/706564.uts

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 10-31-2013 at 06:03 AM.
MoHawk Likes This 
Old 10-31-2013, 06:14 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1836 Times on 1256 Posts
Likes Given: 668

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
I found one that might be what your looking for.

Springfield Armory XD Sub Compact. Holds 13+1 rounds of 9mm with the compact mag, or 16+1 with the grip extension mag. Weighs 26oz-27oz empty. It has a grip safety and a trigger safety. It is a double stack, but it's not a thick gun (to me). I've shot the full sized version, and the grip wasn't too thick. Quite comfortable actually. I don't remember how long the pull is on the trigger though.

Cabelas has them listed for under $550. You might find them cheaper elsewhere.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php?version=59

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Springfield-Armory-XD-Subcompact-Pistols/706564.uts
I don't know how Springfield Armory sees that gun as a sub compact. My Ruger P95 weighs 23 oz empty. Most people consider the P95 as difficult to conceal. It took a while for me to figure out how to conceal the P95 in summer clothing. I am a big fellow.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

ScottA Likes This 
Old 10-31-2013, 06:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I don't know how Springfield Armory sees that gun as a sub compact. My Ruger P95 weighs 23 oz empty. Most people consider the P95 as difficult to conceal. It took a while for me to figure out how to conceal the P95 in summer clothing. I am a big fellow.
The 3" barrel and shorter grip makes it a sub compact. It's a little bulkier in some places than other sub compacts, but it's still concealable. It's not that big.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:27 AM   #7

Another option is a Beretta Px4 Storm Sub Compact. Same about the same price as the XD.

http://www.berettausa.com/products/px4-storm-type-f-sub-compact/

Old 10-31-2013, 06:28 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1836 Times on 1256 Posts
Likes Given: 668

I tried to pick a gun out for my wife, it didn't work so well. I finally gave up on trying to find a gun for her. Several months later she walks in the door with a Ruger SP101 chambered in 357mag. I would have never pictured her wanting an SP101. She shoots my Blackhawk quite often. She is comfortable shooting full house hunting loads with the Blackhawk.

If your wife isn't into concealed carry you can't force her into carry a gun. My niece is a gun nut. She got my wife to go to a range that has ladies only range hours. She made friends and got some experience. Now she goes to the range during ladies only hours. She is learning to conceal a gun on her body at warp speed. I will be frank, most men have no idea of how a woman should conceal a gun.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 10-31-2013, 06:43 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker
Why don't you want a thumb safety? That doesn't seem like a big deal to me. If you could overlook the thumb safety, you could try one of these. It comes in 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP. The 9mm version is 8+1. The 45 ACP version weighs 22.7 oz. (does not specify on 9mm version). It's $1200 MSRP http://www.stiguns.com/products/guns/pistols/personal-protection-pistols/
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie
Best small 9mm I've shot in a good while is the Sig 938. They do have a safety but have really nice triggers
Quote:
I found one that might be what your looking for. Springfield Armory XD Sub Compact. Holds 13+1 rounds of 9mm with the compact mag, or 16+1 with the grip extension mag. Weighs 26oz-27oz empty. It has a grip safety and a trigger safety. It is a double stack, but it's not a thick gun (to me). I've shot the full sized version, and the grip wasn't too thick. Quite comfortable actually. I don't remember how long the pull is on the trigger though. Cabelas has them listed for under $550. You might find them cheaper elsewhere. http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php?version=59
Quote:
The 3" barrel and shorter grip makes it a sub compact. It's a little bulkier in some places than other sub compacts, but it's still concealable. It's not that big.
Quote:
Another option is a Beretta Px4 Storm Sub Compact. Same about the same price as the XD. http://www.berettausa.com/products/px4-storm-type-f-sub-compact/
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer
I tried to pick a gun out for my wife, it didn't work so well. I finally gave up on trying to find a gun for her. Several months later she walks in the door with a Ruger SP101 chambered in 357mag. I would have never pictured her wanting an SP101. She shoots my Blackhawk quite often. She is comfortable shooting full house hunting loads with the Blackhawk. If your wife isn't into concealed carry you can't force her into carry a gun. My niece is a gun nut. She got my wife to go to a range that has ladies only range hours. She made friends and got some experience. Now she goes to the range during ladies only hours. She is learning to conceal a gun on her body at warp speed. I will be frank, most men have no idea of how a woman should conceal a gun.
Thanks for the quick responses guys. I'll try to address them all.

TWW - The STI looks nice. A little pricey, but otherwise it looks like a nice gun. Along that line, though, why wouldn't I just get a cheaper officer sized 1911 in 9mm? I'm sure they're out there. The thumb safety isn't a deal breaker necessarily, but she would prefer not to have one. Personal preference I suppose. A lot of people say they just want to be able to draw the gun, aim, and shoot with minimal possibilities of something going wrong. I can't say I disagree with that.

Regarding the XD9 or Beretta Storm. Those are nice guns, don't get me wrong. We almost bought an XDm .40 as our first handgun. Long story short, we didn't. Anyway, the only problem we have with either of those two is the width. She is considering carrying in a flashbang holster, which means width is pretty paramount. That's why I said a single-stacked gun.

DrumJunkie - The Sig P938 is a great looking gun. I've held the P238 and loved the feel. I've looked at the dimensions of the two online, and the 9mm isn't much bigger than the .380. The P938 is definitely a contender in terms of size and most of her desires for the gun. We just need to find one for her to hold and see for herself. (Either way, I might buy one for myself someday).

john_deer - I would never pick out a gun for my wife. Everything I specified above that the gun has to be or have, came directly from my wife's mouth. She was in the room with me when I typed it. She loves shooting, and has a fair amount of experience in trying out different guns. We shot the SP101 recently with a 4" bbl, and we both loved it. I would like to find a snubbie, as she's concerned with the overall size of the gun in a flashbang holster. If we can find a snubbie to rent, so she could tell if she enjoyed shooting it as much as the 4" version, it could possibly be a winner.

Always have clean socks.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:47 AM   #10
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3264 Times on 2219 Posts
Likes Given: 699

As I mentioned in The other thread we were out looking again today too. Wife likes her SP101 & LCR but wants something even lighter! We're down to the Sig238, Bersa Thunder(also 380) or the Charter Arms undercover/off-duty... Now our friend who is the Library manager where we volunteer is in on it. She and her husband want to go with us, so she can pick out a New one because she Does Not like her 380...
JW if your wife likes the SP 101 they have it in a 2.5", put the Houge Tamer grip on it!!! That was the make or break for Mz. Dr. F...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
MoHawk Likes This