Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > New concealed carry questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2013, 01:18 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I appreciate all the advice, I had neglected to research a good holster. Any suggestions on those for the smith or CZ? I noticed the mak ammo was only online and it was very similar to .380 in size and ballistics, and the heel mag release didnt seem conducive for speed reloads.

As far as where to carry the pistol, I was trained the military way so this whole concealed concept is a whole new ballpark for me.

"I only regret I have but one life to lose for my country" Nathan Hale

Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:21 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3721 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by easterner123
I appreciate all the advice, I had neglected to research a good holster. Any suggestions on those for the smith or CZ? I noticed the mak ammo was only online and it was very similar to .380 in size and ballistics, and the heel mag release didnt seem conducive for speed reloads.

As far as where to carry the pistol, I was trained the military way so this whole concealed concept is a whole new ballpark for me.
I like the Old Faithful Holsters. Good price, if you buy the kit. Good warranty, good quality, made in America.

In terms of where, just find where you're comfortable with it.

Always have clean socks.

Last edited by JW357; 08-24-2013 at 02:42 AM.
easterner123 Likes This 
Old 08-24-2013, 02:39 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2195 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by easterner123

The easiest to access/conceal are inside the belt and pocket holsters. I use a pocket holster with my subcompacts and I use a level 3 paddle holster made by safari land with my full sized guns. The paddle holster is a pain to conceal in the summertime without a jacket.

Galco makes an extremely comfortable line of ankle holsters if you are interested in going that route. They're leather or neoprene holsters lined with lambs wool on the inside, so they chafe less than most of the ankle holsters on the market. And they're well made, never had a gun come loose from one. Don't buy a cheap ankle holster, you will regret it when your leg starts bleeding and your gun starts flopping around every time you take a step.

I've used both the Galco ankle light and ankle glove lines and never had a problem with them.

Blackhawk pocket holsters are cheap and work great, I wouldnt spend a lot of money on a pocket holster. This is the absolute most comfortable way for me to conceal carry. No bruises no chafing and easy access. But it takes a pretty small gun to pull it off. Something around the size of a ruger lc9 is pretty ideal for all my pants pockets. Including basketball/board shorts.

If you want something comfortable to carry on the belt and conceal under a jacket or long shirt, check out the law enforcement series of paddle holsters from safari land and/or uncle mikes. I've used both and they are extremely comfortable. They are a pain to conceal, but they fit your hip so snug you can't even feel that there's a gun holstered there.

Don't get a cheap paddle holster, it's too easy for a paddle holster to come out of your clothes in a scuffle and if the bad guy breaks it off or slides it out then you have big problems.

The law enforcement series holsters have good retention so you don't have to worry about them falling out or someone taking your gun straight out of the holster if you end up rolling around on the ground.

Being ex military, pocket, paddle or inside the belt will probably be closest to what you're used to.

Inside the belt is extremely uncomfortable for me because I am bony around the hips. No fat or cushion. So I have no advice for you there. When I have do it I use a keltec pf9 that has a belt clip mounted on the slide, and I use my pocket holster as a trigger guard. And even the light little Keltec irritates the crap out of me.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Last edited by DeltaF; 08-24-2013 at 04:15 AM.
easterner123 Likes This 
Old 08-25-2013, 02:25 AM   #24

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

The 9x18 Makarov can be a great gun with afew caveats what country was yours made in (Germany,Russia,Checkoslovokia are best) China,Korea and many other are very poor quality weapons China still pounds them out in the millions every year if they have a problem with them in the Chinese military or police they literally throw them in the garbage and get a new one.Several american companies make ammo for the Mak STICK TO AN AMERICAN BRAND russian made ammo is very high in sulfer add gun oil to the residue from this cheap ammo you get sulfuric acid NOT GOOD FOR YOUR GUN buy Ammerican Remington,Hornady,and Winchester all make ammo for the mak

Old 08-25-2013, 02:27 AM   #25

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967
I would consider one thing...ammo availability. For my carry gun I must be able to go to any big box store to get ammo. Yes, I have a Cabelas and a Sportsmans warehouse where I live. But I want to shoot my carry gun a lot. 9x18 is not sold everywhere. If we were talking a gun to shoot once in a while that would be different. But a dedicated carry gun should be shot often. .380, 9mm, 38 special, .357 mag, 40 S&W , 44 special, 44 magand 45 ACP are all available at Walmart under normal conditions. 9x18 is not.
Thats very true if you do decide on the Mak the net is probably your best bet for buying quality ammo
Old 08-25-2013, 03:24 AM   #26

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Try the XDS in 9mm and 45. It's a beautiful shooter in either caliber (same size).

Old 08-25-2013, 04:36 AM   #27

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase127

Thats very true if you do decide on the Mak the net is probably your best bet for buying quality ammo
Because 9x18 has less users, the online stores like MidwayUsa, Cabelas, Sportsmens Guide, etc. often have this ammo when the shelves are empty for 9x19 Luger.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #28

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

To the OP - perhaps a bit late in posting.

I have been thinking about a 9MM S&W Shield as well. Ammo should never be an issue. You can always spend a bit more for good top quality ammo for defense assuming you are not going out to shoot tin cans with it.

Then buy the plinking ammo at shows or other online locations for target practice. Our son bought 500 9MM rounds for $129.00 at a recent show in Roanoke, Va.

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!
easterner123 Likes This 
Old 09-02-2013, 06:06 PM   #29

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittmeba
To the OP - perhaps a bit late in posting.

I have been thinking about a 9MM S&W Shield as well. Ammo should never be an issue. You can always spend a bit more for good top quality ammo for defense assuming you are not going out to shoot tin cans with it.

Then buy the plinking ammo at shows or other online locations for target practice. Our son bought 500 9MM rounds for $129.00 at a recent show in Roanoke, Va.
Ironically, I was just in my local gun store yesterday and they had everything but 9mm ammo!! There is something to be said that the demand is more than the supply can keep up with, at least in some areas!! 2 older ladies were buying 9mm weapons!! Super popular caliber!!

Old 09-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #30

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

We have had good luck at local Gun Shows for ammo of both 9MM and .40. I picked up 500 rounds .40 for $209.00 in July at the Salem Show and our son bought 500 rounds 9MM for $129.00 at the Roanoke Show.

No doubt about the popularity...but the ammo should be available. Most difficult to find is .22 LR unless you want to pay 12-15¢ per round.

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!