Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   New concealed carry questions (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/new-concealed-carry-questions-95864/)

easterner123 08-22-2013 09:04 PM

New concealed carry questions

Hello everybody. I'm turning 21 in a few and live in a rough city in Arizona and I'm looking for
Some advice. I have narrowed my carry options down to two pistols: the S&W Shield in 9mm or a makarov in 9x18. Both have similar magazine capacities and capabilities, can I hear some thoughts on what you would prefer? If these aren't up to par for concealed carry, what about the CZ75 compact. The handgun and ammo for the mak is cheaper but this will be my ccw so is it worth the money to drop the extra on the smith?

Also, I'm sure I'm not the first person to ask this question so if anyone can link some good threads, resources or advice any and all assistance (legal, gear or tactical) would be greatly appreciated.

marc29th 08-22-2013 10:02 PM

All 3 guns are good for CC, I own all of them S&W Shield, Russian Makarov and a full size CZ 75b. Hold all of them and pick the one that fits your hand best and you won't go wrong.

mahall 08-22-2013 10:16 PM

I settled on the Glock26!! Ideal for carry and adequate for HD!! I recommend it to all new carry people!! I've also heard good things about the Shield!! It's really a personal choice of what best fits your needs!! But give the 26 some consideration!! Good luck!! And carry safe!!

Nebraska12 08-22-2013 10:29 PM

Nice choice. Carry safe, carry often.

orangello 08-22-2013 10:33 PM

I do not carry concealed. I do own and love a full-sized CZ75b, so I would think their compact model would be reliable and comfortable as well. I have heard nothing bad about the Shield but have not tried one myself.

If you are considering a Makarov or a CZ82, take a look at a Bersa Thunder .380; the round is very similar but probably has more options on projectiles, and the frame is a lighter weight alloy. The Bersa goes for about $300 new and is available with 7 or 9 round magazines for the standard model (plus model has double-stack 14 or 15 round mag). The satin nickel finish is nice-looking and resistant to corrosion. My sister owns mine now. :(

Missouribound 08-23-2013 01:04 AM

Visit a range that rents to shoot and shoot a few different guns. Get used to the weight and feel of several guns before you make a choice. I do agree that the Sheild is a very good choice, and I am thinking of getting one myself, but it's your hand, your body that has to carry it. And when you find the gun you really like, expect to spend a few bucks on a quality holster...or maybe a few of them. Good luck and stay safe.

JW357 08-23-2013 02:35 AM

The Shield is a good gun, but is experiencing a problem right now, that I literally just heard about today:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_791654_-1_757978_757978_image

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jsQWGS-P9Pk&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DjsQWGS-P9Pk

JW357 08-23-2013 02:37 AM

So ultimately what it comes down to is what feels the best in your hand and which you shoot the best.

If it were me, between those two, I'd get the Shield. Don't let the thing I posted above deter you. Smith will fix it if its a problem.

Also, don't shy away from a revolver. A .357 Magnum snubbie will give much better stopping power than a 9mm, .380 ACP, or a 9 mak.

DeltaF 08-23-2013 06:45 AM

All 3 sound like decent options.

Find a way to shoot all 3 and pick the one that fits your hand the best and gives you the closest shot group/fastest time between sighted pairs.

Some things to think about in your future concealed carry purchases:

Carry ammo that meets the FBI Penetration Standards.

Stay away from anything smaller than a 38spl when picking a self defense platform.

When buying a weapon for concealed carry, the less processes involved with firing and reloading the better. You should be able to pull your weapon out of its holster and begin firing in as few steps as possible. Obviously this has to be balanced with actually being able to conceal the weapon in a safe and secure manner.

This is personal, others will disagree: I don't conceal carry any weapons with external safeties, and I try to use either a pocket holster or inside the belt holster whenever practical. I want to minimize the use of fine motor skills wherever possible. I am the safety. When I pull the trigger I want it to go bang.

Also personal: I do not conceal carry revolvers and I almost always carry 2 extra magazines. I train on plate courses and in shoot houses with semi and revolver shooters. Rarely is 6 rounds enough. We are always waiting for the revolver shooters to catch up to the rest of the group while they fumble with their speed loaders or drop rounds into their cylinders 1 at a time. Sometimes in the shoot house running out at 6 means they get shot, or I get shot, or both. Obviously lots of people will disagree with this. But it's my experience and its something that happens on an ongoing basis across multiple age groups and experience brackets.

genesaika 08-23-2013 07:25 AM

I agree got try out different guns and calibers. Personally I'm going with a full size Beretta px4 in .40s&w, the cost difference between 9 and 40 here is $3-5 with capacity only going down a little.