New to Ccw
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > New to Ccw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default New to Ccw

I just recently acquired my carry permit and am looking for some sage advice. I have decided on a CZ 75 P-01 for everyday carry. Any insight on holsters- both style and brand, basic carry advice, or any useful information?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-06-2013, 08:24 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 550 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Well first I think it would be helpful for us to know what state you are in. Good holsters can vary greatly do to weather climates and whether your state has any "printing" laws.

Of course probably the best advice if you were to conceal carry regardless of state is: if you are doing it properly, nobody should know you even have a gun unless you ever have to use it.

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 03-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Minnesota, so the states weather lends itself to easy concealment for a large portion of the year.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:15 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I would highly recommend both Old Faithful holsters as well as Remora holsters. OF is a leather kydex hybrid that is comfy and cheap since you can buy it in a kit and screw it together yourself. Remoras are clipless, sticky holsters that can even be used for pocket carry. They are both great and having two different types is pretty cool for different situations i.e. gym shorts, jeans, business, late night store runs etc.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #5

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts

Diddo on the complete concealment.... no one needs to know... for iwb one waist size larger... for owb tight to hip... high ride holster to be covered by a shirt... comfort is imperative... if its not you won't carry much... IMO.. I like iwb holsters but not a big fan of hybrids... PJ kydex... kydex by AC... fox holsters.. galco are good ones...

Old 03-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #6

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

Well 9 months out of 12 in minnesota yall are wearing long sleeves ,heavy coats etc.so a shoulder holster could work well.Don't forget to think about how you spend most of your time.Are you sitting down,walking,what kind of work do you do?These are questions you need to consider when deciding how to carry.When deciding on your carry method 3 things need to be foremost in your mind.1.what are the local laws?2.ease of access in any situation.3.Comfort.Good luck making your selections

Old 03-08-2013, 10:26 PM   #7

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase127 View Post
Well 9 months out of 12 in minnesota yall are wearing long sleeves ,heavy coats etc.so a shoulder holster could work well.Don't forget to think about how you spend most of your time.Are you sitting down,walking,what kind of work do you do?These are questions you need to consider when deciding how to carry.When deciding on your carry method 3 things need to be foremost in your mind.1.what are the local laws?2.ease of access in any situation.3.Comfort.Good luck making your selections
Good info here... saves learning the hard way... thx chase 127 ... wish id has some one tell me these things when I started carrying

Last edited by freetobefree; 03-11-2013 at 02:24 PM.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:38 PM   #8

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Well here in indiana i carry my 1911 in a blackhawk serpa 2 owb holster. It works well under a coat in the winter months. I may print very slightly in the summer as i just pull my tshirt over it but we dont have any laws against printing and oc is legal here as well. Im also somewhat thin and boney so i cant do iwb, i tried it once and it was rather painful.

Good luck finding what fits you, it may take a little trial and error.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380