New to CCW
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > New to CCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2014, 09:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 45 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default New to CCW

Okay so I have just taken my CCW class and have submitted the paperwork. In the mean time, I have been researching different conceal guns. During my research I discovered a wide range of options. However, after doing to thinking I wanted to ask, Would you stick with the same manufacturer and/or caliber that you are currently shooting in a full size frame? I am concerned that if I switch calibers or manufacturers, I would have the potential as not being as efficient with the controls, handling, etc of the gun. What is y'all thought? Switching and having two different brand guns doesn't matter or stay with the same brand that why in a critical situation you are not second guessing what gun you have and what you have to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-08-2014, 09:32 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1325 Times on 786 Posts
Likes Given: 247

I actually bought a competition gun to match my EDC

There's something to be said for familiar operations. I carry a XDM compact. Wife stole my XDs, she likes carrying the smaller pistol.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:50 AM   #3
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2344 Times on 1427 Posts
Likes Given: 12863

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcd390 View Post
Okay so I have just taken my CCW class and have submitted the paperwork. In the mean time, I have been researching different conceal guns. During my research I discovered a wide range of options. However, after doing to thinking I wanted to ask, Would you stick with the same manufacturer and/or caliber that you are currently shooting in a full size frame? I am concerned that if I switch calibers or manufacturers, I would have the potential as not being as efficient with the controls, handling, etc of the gun. What is y'all thought? Switching and having two different brand guns doesn't matter or stay with the same brand that why in a critical situation you are not second guessing what gun you have and what you have to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
Something to consider. The smaller you go, the lighter the weight. The lighter the weight, the harder the recoil. Also, a smaller caliber frees up room for more rounds in the magazine.

If you are familiar with the way a certain model of handgun operates, and you are proficient with it, why change things? I say if that is the case, and a smaller model with the same battery of arms is available for a decent price pick it up, and train with it. Even though it is only a smaller version, you will notice differences between the two.

One of my EDC pistols is an AMT Hardballer, I also have an Springfield EMP that finds it's way into the rotation when I can't carry the full size version. When I looked into my EMP, my first thought was to buy one in .45 ACP. This changed after a range trip where I tried one out in ,45. The recoil was a bit much to say the least. I wound up going with a 9 MM instead, as it still has a good bite, but it isn't quite as much as the .45 was. i also bought a 9 MM conversion kit to go with the .22 one for the Hardballer for practice as 9 MM is cheaper in general, as well as softer on the wrists.

hope this helps.

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:11 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 583 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 183

One may also consider the seasons and clothing worn at such times, if you wear a suit and tie regularly, it is less an issue. I carry different arms for different situations and weather. My full sized 1911's do not sit well under a t-shirt in the warmer months, even in an IWB holster, when driving long distances, a shoulder rig is preferable, a compact semi-auto is an option for summer. I agree that the same platform is a good idea but in my experience, various platforms give you more options for carry in different situations.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 12-09-2014, 11:44 AM   #5

Liked 2144 Times on 1176 Posts
Likes Given: 1390

I like guns that all simply go bang when you pull the trigger. I do not like a bunch of safeties. All of my revolvers operate the same way. Just pull the trigger. I have several autos with decockers. I decock them and holster. They are set to pull the trigger. No safety to worry about. The only gun I carry with a safety is a 1911. And that gun is simply second nature to me. But other than a 1911 if it has a safety that need to be operated, I don't carry it.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:11 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 184 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 173

If you are really only familliar with one operating system then I would stick to that system for your ccw. If you want to try somthing else out you can get it next and spend time familiarizing with it before working it in as a ccw. As for caliber as has been said downsizing may or may not make the caliber you are used to a bit much in the smaller gun esp since it seems you have limited experience. I would reccomend attempting to find a friend or a range where you can try out that smaller platform and then decide if you want to stick with that caliber. If you can't try it first then try to decide if you are at all recoil sensitive I have never been (until recently with arthur) sensitive to recoil so a little bitty 10 mm or somthing would not bother me in the least but some folks would be very intimidated by the extra flip and muzzle blast of a large caliber in a small arm.
so its kinda a self exam to decide on the caliber part of the question.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 12-09-2014, 07:26 PM   #7
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2474 Times on 1326 Posts
Likes Given: 879

I don't restrict myself by manufacturer or caliber for carry, but all my "go-to" guns are of very similar design. Typically I carry either my Ruger LC9s or my Kimber Micro 380. They both have triggers that are short and crisp. They both have manual safeties. They both shoot very similarly. And they both are close in design to my bedside gun, a 1911 in .45. So whatever gun I reach for, I have the same procedure and similar triggers.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
partdeux Likes This 
Old 12-09-2014, 09:03 PM   #8

Liked 45 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Thanks for everyones input. I have narrowed it down to either the Glock 26 which is my current platform or the SW MP Shield. Both 9mm since I prefer that caliber. I like the glock a lot since I already have the G17 so I can interchange the magazines. However I really like the SW MP Shield. Any suggestions on either one of those? Thanks again!

Old 12-09-2014, 09:23 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 184 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 173

Personally I"d say glock I'm not a glock fan myself mind you but it will never be because they don't run well and shoot straight. Have had enough issues with S&W autos to just not trust them like I would a glock. I persoanlly am going to get one of the little glocks eventually for ccw haven't decided on a caliber yet probably be a 9 or a 40 but am looking at the lil 10mm really hard.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:03 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1325 Times on 786 Posts
Likes Given: 247

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcd390 View Post
Thanks for everyones input. I have narrowed it down to either the Glock 26 which is my current platform or the SW MP Shield. Both 9mm since I prefer that caliber. I like the glock a lot since I already have the G17 so I can interchange the magazines. However I really like the SW MP Shield. Any suggestions on either one of those? Thanks again!
I've shot the shield, it's a nice shooter.

Wife stole my XDs-9 which is amazingly accurate. It does not like light loads.

Newest Threads