Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > new carry firearm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2009, 03:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default new carry firearm

Hi,
Just thought I'd relay my experience in changing my carry firearm. I have been carrying my .38 special in a fanny pack (I'm old and no one would guess I'm packing) for about 3 months now. I just got my Velcro holster for my XDcompact and began carrying that. It was really strange to switch from the double action revolver to a cocked and chambered semi automatic. I know safety features of the XD, but the immediacy of the XD ratcheted up my awareness of safety requirements of carrying. I cannot explain the impact of this switch. Two weeks ago I shot both guns and realized that shooting the .38 as a single action had that same immediacy, so I think it's the trigger pull that has such an impact. The rule of "never put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to shoot" has a completely new meaning to me. Also acquiring more training in moving and shooting in different scenarios is a must.

Maybe I'm being oversensitive. What do you think?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-01-2009, 04:07 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Safety should always be first and foremost. I see no problem with your new train of thought.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:21 AM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 51 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhk View Post
Hi,
Just thought I'd relay my experience in changing my carry firearm. I have been carrying my .38 special in a fanny pack (I'm old and no one would guess I'm packing) for about 3 months now. I just got my Velcro holster for my XDcompact and began carrying that. It was really strange to switch from the double action revolver to a cocked and chambered semi automatic. I know safety features of the XD, but the immediacy of the XD ratcheted up my awareness of safety requirements of carrying. I cannot explain the impact of this switch. Two weeks ago I shot both guns and realized that shooting the .38 as a single action had that same immediacy, so I think it's the trigger pull that has such an impact. The rule of "never put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to shoot" has a completely new meaning to me. Also acquiring more training in moving and shooting in different scenarios is a must.

Maybe I'm being oversensitive. What do you think?
You can never be "too" ready. I beleive you are doing the right thing....

Old 08-01-2009, 01:26 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Every time I carry my XD to or from the car, or every time I pick it up. I always check that the thumb safety is engaged, in fact I do it automatically now without a conscious effort. That is one thing I like about the XD. I also got my Taurus sub compact last Thursday, but wouldn't you know it, I am once again waiting on the approval, and it also has a thumb safety on it.I cannot carry on my person, still waiting on the license, but it is in the car with me when I go some where all the time now. It sits on a shelf atmy desk and when I get up to go some where, I automatically carry it with me, getting almost 2nd nature now.

Layton

Old 08-02-2009, 04:15 AM   #5
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Mark,
Your not being oversensitive, I carry a S&W M&P 45 in condition one (ready to fire). The pistol has no external safety. As always finger on the trigger means you are about to fire no matter how many/few external safeties on the firearm.

As always it comes down to practice, practice and even more practice. Carrying a firearm comes with huge responsibility. I think you are on track in understanding the inportance of firearm change. Different pistol and different carry style.

Good post

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:10 AM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Due to an earlier admonishment on this forum which went something like "If you don't feel confident carrying a firearm ready to fire, you have no business carrying in the first place", I now carry Mexican (In a holster) in Condition 1.
I still haven't shot my Johnson off, so it seems to be working.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:36 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 51 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by layton View Post
Every time I carry my XD to or from the car, or every time I pick it up. I always check that the thumb safety is engaged, in fact I do it automatically now without a conscious effort. That is one thing I like about the XD. I also got my Taurus sub compact last Thursday, but wouldn't you know it, I am once again waiting on the approval, and it also has a thumb safety on it.I cannot carry on my person, still waiting on the license, but it is in the car with me when I go some where all the time now. It sits on a shelf atmy desk and when I get up to go some where, I automatically carry it with me, getting almost 2nd nature now.

Layton
That's the way its got to be Layton. Because the ONE TIME you don't have your gun... will be the one time you'll NEED IT.

I have my CHL, and it's nice... but when I didn't have it, it certainly didn't keep me from protecting myself or family. All my CHL did was allow me to "legally" carry inside appropriate places.