need some advice for concealed
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > need some advice for concealed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2009, 05:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default need some advice for concealed

Hello, I am new to the forum and thought I would ask a question to try and learn anything I could.

I am trying to find a gun I can use for a concealed weapon, the problem I have good size hands. Can you offer any types that are good for large hands but still small enough that I can conceal?

I am still pretty green on hand guns, but from the little that I have started to read and learn I like the 45 ACP Springfield XD, and glocks. Just not sure they would fit my mit. I probably need to find a range and try some of them out yes?

Anyway, just picking some brains.

Thanks for your time.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-06-2009, 06:17 AM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Well, unless your hands are the size of Shaq's you shouldn't have any problems with just about anything.

My hands are large too, so I stay away from micro pistols or mouse guns. I could shoot them, but I really don't like them.

Find a happy medium with what fits and what you can conceal well.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:36 AM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would rather tend to go for a pistol, where you can put alternative grips on.
That way, you are flexible on the firearm and you can adapt the size of the grip to your hands.

I have the reverse problem. My hands are rather small (short). Therefor I have problems with the Pachmayr and Hogue grips on my CZ75. So I was looking for a pair of grips, that are slim enough for me and found them in the Trausch grips (Trausch Grips).

So you would need to look for the oposite type of grip.
Most firearms have double row mags. That makes the grip itself thicker then on a classic 1911 with a single row mag.

So, you could look for a Sig Sauer P226 or 228, (the grip is bigger then on a 220) and put a Pachmayr Signature Grip on it. That should give you a good grip for your hands, I owuld say.

Taking pistols in a Glock style, makes a bit harder to adapt the grip size to your hands, as you can mostly only put a sleeve like the Hogue Handball over it.

Or you can go for a Walther P99 or HK with interchangable grip parts.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:48 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

jsf-

I too, have large hands and had the same problem. I used to carry a Beretta cougar but my current carry is a Ruger SR9. It's supposed to be the thinnest auto around and shoots pretty well too. Fits pretty good in my big paw too.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy View Post
jsf-

I too, have large hands and had the same problem. I used to carry a Beretta cougar but my current carry is a Ruger SR9. It's supposed to be the thinnest auto around and shoots pretty well too. Fits pretty good in my big paw too.
ok, good thats kind of what I was looking for was some examples of various guns that would fit well but still be small enough.

Thanks for the examples, I will do some research on them.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:00 AM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf343 View Post
ok, good thats kind of what I was looking for was some examples of various guns that would fit well but still be small enough.

Thanks for the examples, I will do some research on them.
Xd has the whole line up from 3inch subs on up, 1911's come in all brands compact and some 3-3.5" that would work fine, S&W M&P has several comacts to choose from. I think you could conceal those easier than ths SR9 with the long grip.

What caliber do you prefer? There's alot more to choose from in 9mm than .45acp.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Xd has the whole line up from 3inch subs on up, 1911's come in all brands compact and some 3-3.5" that would work fine, S&W M&P has several comacts to choose from. I think you could conceal those easier than ths SR9 with the long grip.

What caliber do you prefer? There's alot more to choose from in 9mm than .45acp.
I do like the 9mm, so maybe that would be a better place to start. Thanks for the info.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:37 PM   #8

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have big hands & love Para Ordnance double stack P-14 with oversize grips. It's basically a wide body 1911 that holds 14+1 of .45acp.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 09-08-2009, 05:39 AM   #9
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Best advice is to find a local range that rents pistols and offers training. Walk in and tell them what you are looking for and find what fits you best. Shoot several pistols and find the one that works best for you.

I like the S&W M&P but that might not be the pistols for you. I can tell you why I like it but it means little until you shoot one.

Consider you pistol purchase like a test drive in a car. You have to be in the drivers seat before you know it is the right car for you. Is it too big, too small, too much power, not enough power, will it fit the conditions you need it for and is it dependable? Do your research, understand the prices, options and what the other brands have to offer.

Let us know what pistol you decide to purchase.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:12 PM   #10

You'll find the Ruger SR9 that Westy recommended also has an over-sized trigger guard which might be of interest. It is supposed to be great for gloved fingers and owning one, I can see this is so. I suppose it would also be great for the large fingered person, too.