Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Need Opinions Please On A Few CCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2011, 11:49 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Now the kicker is I live in Acushnet, MA so some that I do like are not on the AG's approved roster list.
Pardon my ignorance, but do you actually live in a state where there
is an approved list of firearms that you are allowed to own?
I've never heard of such a thing! I didn't realize how lucky I am.

Certified in napping
Certified in BBQ on the Green Egg

Old 12-24-2011, 12:37 AM   #12

Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
For CCW, how about a ParaOrdance CX745? It's on the list- very compact stainless DOUBLE ACTION .45 ACP. Trigger very similar to a good double action revolver. Usual safeties that a 1911 would have, but can carry hammer down (it's only state) on a loaded chamber. Not much bigger than your .38 revolver.
Is this the one you are refering to?

Para USA, High-Quality Handguns: Products

Old 12-24-2011, 12:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by trex1310 View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but do you actually live in a state where there
is an approved list of firearms that you are allowed to own?
I've never heard of such a thing! I didn't realize how lucky I am.
For starters I would not say ingnorant, rather you live in a State with more freedoms! Yes we have an approved list of firearms in the state of MA. The Attorney General has her rules on what is allowed and is not. This is the latest list I have from the AG's web site.

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/chsb/firearms/approved-firearms-roster-10-2011.pdf

I apologize for going off topic...

JEFF

Old 12-24-2011, 01:00 AM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8427 Times on 3654 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

Jeff- we go off topic so often around here you need 4WD, a tow strap, and a GPS to find your way back.

Yep- that is similar to the one I mentioned. Mine is bright stainless, that one is black, but same basic gun. If you have never shot with with the LDA (Light Double Action) it is spookily smooth, like there is a power assist raising the hammer. Lightweight they are not- cheap they are not- but don't know that I want a lightweight 45.

Not a long range target piece, but very nice sights for a defensive arm. Accuracy is surprisngly good at 7 yards, controllability better than I expected.

They WERE made in Canada, now made in NC.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 12-24-2011, 01:26 AM   #15

Jeff: The list you provided in your OP is a pretty good list for CC weapons.
Other than specific negative experiences (e.g., FTF's, mechanical failures, etc.) nobody can tell you which is the best choice, only what might work well for THEM.

I carry the M&P 40c with the thumb safety. I only got it with the thumb safety because they didn't have one without at the time and I wanted it.

Handle each one. Try to rent/borrow/shoot each one. See which naturally feels better in your hand and which you feel you can shoot better.

The right CC weapon is the one that works for YOU.

Old 12-24-2011, 04:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Jeff- we go off topic so often around here you need 4WD, a tow strap, and a GPS to find your way back.

Yep- that is similar to the one I mentioned. Mine is bright stainless, that one is black, but same basic gun. If you have never shot with with the LDA (Light Double Action) it is spookily smooth, like there is a power assist raising the hammer. Lightweight they are not- cheap they are not- but don't know that I want a lightweight 45.

Not a long range target piece, but very nice sights for a defensive arm. Accuracy is surprisngly good at 7 yards, controllability better than I expected.

They WERE made in Canada, now made in NC.
I don't mind spending the cash if the pistol is of top notch quality. The gun club I joined recently has over 500 members, but about 200 are active. Most folks seem to have S & W, Ruger and a few others. No one there that I have talked to yet has a SIG or Para. I love the fact that it is made in North America! That is HUGE for me!

Thank you for your input, I found it especially helpful in you gave me one more option I had not considered.

JEFF

Old 12-24-2011, 04:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGnature View Post
Jeff: The list you provided in your OP is a pretty good list for CC weapons.
Other than specific negative experiences (e.g., FTF's, mechanical failures, etc.) nobody can tell you which is the best choice, only what might work well for THEM.

I carry the M&P 40c with the thumb safety. I only got it with the thumb safety because they didn't have one without at the time and I wanted it.

Handle each one. Try to rent/borrow/shoot each one. See which naturally feels better in your hand and which you feel you can shoot better.

The right CC weapon is the one that works for YOU.
As I posted above, in my area here most folks seem to stick to a few brands. It is tough for me to feel and shoot most of my choices due to availability. I like my S & W .40, well the feel anyway. I am getting the trigger replaced as I mentioned. The PARA that was recommended is particulary in my radar now. I am going to see if the local gun dealer has one, if not I will travel a bit further.

Thank you for your input also, it is appreciated!

JEFF