Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Need Opinions Please On A Few CCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2011, 06:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 7

Default Need Opinions Please On A Few CCW

Hello to everyone! I am shopping for a new pistol to carry for personal defense. I currently carry a Smith & Wesson 442 Airweight .38 Special. It is nice and fires very well, but I just want something new. I also own a Smith & Wesson M&P .40 Range Kit. I am having the trigger on the S&W .40 changed, I just don't like the 10lb pull. Now the kicker is I live in Acushnet, MA so some that I do like are not on the AG's approved roster list. I am also a left handed shooter, although I have shot pistols and rifles specifically made for the majority. The makes and models I am listing here are on the approved list. I just don't know anyone who has one, therefore any opinions are greatly welcome!

Ruger P345

Sig P229RM .40 S&W w/Night Sights
Sig P250 .45 ACP Compact (just recently made the list)
Sig P239 .40 S&W Compact

Smith & Wesson M&P .40 S&W Compact with Thumb Safety
Smith & Wesson M&P .45 ACP Compact with Thumb Safety

THANK YOU!!!!
Jeff

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-23-2011, 07:11 PM   #2

Liked 1956 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4285

That's a really well thought out question! +1...I have no experience with any of these mentioned but there WILL be someone posting soon who does...Sorry 'bout your location, let us know if you need help when you move back to America!

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 12-23-2011, 07:20 PM   #3

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

M&P with an Apex trigger.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 12-23-2011, 07:50 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 755 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 156

No Springfield XD subcompact, or XDM compact? SWMBO got a XDMc, and I liked it so much, I bought one too!

Old 12-23-2011, 09:45 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I own an M&P compact .40 without the thumb safety, my father in law has the compact 9mm with the safety. I much prefer the model without. I'm just not a fan of small parts that need to be operated before my gun fires. The Sig 229 would also be a fine choice, but the M&P is a little easier to conceal in my opinion

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Old 12-23-2011, 10:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
That's a really well thought out question! +1...I have no experience with any of these mentioned but there WILL be someone posting soon who does...Sorry 'bout your location, let us know if you need help when you move back to America!
Move back to America? LOL!!!! I hear similar all the time, but all I know is MA law so I don't know anything else! :-)

But thanks!

JEFF

Old 12-23-2011, 10:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
No Springfield XD subcompact, or XDM compact? SWMBO got a XDMc, and I liked it so much, I bought one too!
Springfield anything IS NOT on the approved roster list on the AG's web site. So I cannot consider those...

But thanks...JEFF

Last edited by JeffG; 12-23-2011 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Can't spell :-)

Old 12-23-2011, 10:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC-03 View Post
I own an M&P compact .40 without the thumb safety, my father in law has the compact 9mm with the safety. I much prefer the model without. I'm just not a fan of small parts that need to be operated before my gun fires. The Sig 229 would also be a fine choice, but the M&P is a little easier to conceal in my opinion
I like the Smith & Wesson I have now, it's just the full size variant. The safety I am either here nor there on. The price for the .40 or .45 are very fair IMHO. I heard so many good things about the SIG brand, but price is very high. Hmmm...

Thanks!
Jeff

Old 12-23-2011, 10:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
M&P with an Apex trigger.
That is the trigger that is replacing the one on my .40 now. Seems to be a Smith majority thus far...

Thanks!
JEFF

Last edited by JeffG; 12-23-2011 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Grammar correction

Old 12-23-2011, 10:22 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8374 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

For CCW, how about a ParaOrdance CX745? It's on the list- very compact stainless DOUBLE ACTION .45 ACP. Trigger very similar to a good double action revolver. Usual safeties that a 1911 would have, but can carry hammer down (it's only state) on a loaded chamber. Not much bigger than your .38 revolver.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.