Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Need opinions on guns for ccw (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/need-opinions-guns-ccw-56453/)

schnelting21 01-27-2012 10:25 PM

Need opinions on guns for ccw

I wanna get a ccw gun for around 300-400. I'm not for sure what kind of gun I should get anybody got any good opinions.. I'm thinking ruger lcp .380 but I'm not for sure anybody got any opinions on other guns or on the lcp??

jmeekhof 01-28-2012 12:26 AM

I have an lc9 I got unfired used for $300. Not super accurate when rapid firing, but it's very concealable, comfortable, and a bit bigger than a 380

roscoguy 01-28-2012 01:44 AM

A .380 will be one of the most concealable guns, if that's a major issue. I've heard many people say that they love their LCPs; many others say that the recoil is pretty severe for a .380 & that they're no joy to shoot extensively.

I don't own one, but I have shot a S&W BG380 & have to say that recoil was very mild, even one-handed. It's also the only .380 that I looked into that has double-strike capabilities. Opinions vary on the laser; to me, it's there if you want it, & if not, don't bother with it. :cool:

Belltactical 01-28-2012 01:50 AM

I carry a sig p232 as a backup. I also carry it as a primary if I'm going to the beach and tucking under a t shirt. Outstanding weapon in every respect. Gold dots, hydro shocks, pdx type stuff, eats everything, hits what you point it at every time.

progolfer_iii 01-28-2012 02:00 AM

I have a Diamondback DB380EXO. Love it! It's a mini Glock other than the trigger. It is accurate to about 15y but in the real world, if you have to use it, it's going to be a from me to you situation. 3 feet or less. Any belly gun will do! 22LR or 22 short has probably killed more people than any other round. Just saying!

gollygee 01-28-2012 03:58 PM

What is the purpose of picking the LCP .380? Is it just the price, or is it size? There are 9mm's available in that price range. The 9mm ammo is a better defense round, practice ammo is cheaper & possibly have lower recoil, but they wll be slightly larger.

g17frantz 01-28-2012 04:52 PM

In that price range I would recommend a lc9 instead of the lcp. Neither are great or fun for range use but are very effective as a ccw. Have you thought about a snubbie .38 or anything? Taurus makes an inexpensive but very reliable .38 in that price range is well. Have you priced ammo for the .380?!! It's ridiculous. Stick with a 9mm or .38 for that range.

redfox 01-28-2012 05:10 PM

If looking for a carry gun, that can be used for range practice in that range I would say ruger Sr9c. If you have other guns and just want a pocket gun then the lcp is great.

levelcross 01-28-2012 09:17 PM

The .380 ammo is outta sight price wise, if CCW is the goal, several pistols and revolvers are in that range with cheaper ammo.

AIKIJUTSU 01-29-2012 07:46 PM

Depending on where you live, it may be possible to carry and conceal a bigger gun. As long as the grip is fairly short, a bigger gun won't show under a loose shirt or jacket. Keep the overall height of the gun to 5" or less and you should be OK. You may want to check out the Taurus Millenium Pro line, or the Kahr stuff. EAA and CZ have some good concealment options. (Or you could carry an LCP in a belt holster or pocket as primary, and a 6-inch S&W Model 29 in an ankle holster as backup). :)