Need Help Picking my 1st concealed carry handgun - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Need Help Picking my 1st concealed carry handgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2011, 04:18 PM   #11
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2474 Times on 1326 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firearms4ever View Post
and I'm looking into a pocket .45 ACP....
That's an oxymoron, right? Kind of like "pocket battleship"?

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 07-29-2011, 04:19 AM   #12
Administrator
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1614 Times on 1076 Posts
Likes Given: 198

Check out Glock 30!

Old 07-29-2011, 07:01 AM   #13
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur

Liked 1466 Times on 772 Posts
Likes Given: 634

Willis_Prime, with all due respect, don't dismiss Gojubrian too quickly. If you look at statistics, most shootings are under 10 feet and, quite frankly, look nothing like what is portrayed on the T.V. or movie screen. It's very close and very brutal and ANY gun that can deliver stopping power just beyond the muzzle is a viable starting defense gun. My "Hot Weather" gun is a Taurus TCP in a Stoner Pocket Holster. From the outside, it looks like a wallet; when I reach in the pocket, only the gun comes out.

But more importantly is what the gun is stoked with: Remember the old adage, Garbage In, Garbage Out. If you buy a great gun and stoke it with cheap ammo, it will give only sub-par performance when called upon. Save the cheap ammo for practice. When on the street, the only ammo that should be in the gun and your spare magazines should be Magtech First Defense, Hornady Critical Defense, Glaser Safety Slug, and Magssafe. These will run $2 to $4 per ROUND or $14 to $28 per magazine. Remember, this is your LIFE we're talking about here! These are the types of ammo that bring the .380 up to life-saving performance levels. Your snubbie .357 is losing a lot of its effectiveness with that short barrel but your still putting up with the muzzle flash, noise and recoil...why?

Finally, Review what ScottA said - he's dead on about everything, especially about the SP-101 and handling the .357 load. Also remember, this is just the gun you're starting with. When you add another gun later on, you can add a bigger Firearm which can become your primary carry and then this will be your backup or what you carry when you can only wear minimal clothes. It's a serious decision, but not one you're stuck with the rest of your life.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
Willis_Prime, with all due respect, don't dismiss Gojubrian too quickly. If you look at statistics, most shootings are under 10 feet and, quite frankly, look nothing like what is portrayed on the T.V. or movie screen. It's very close and very brutal and ANY gun that can deliver stopping power just beyond the muzzle is a viable starting defense gun. My "Hot Weather" gun is a Taurus TCP in a Stoner Pocket Holster. From the outside, it looks like a wallet; when I reach in the pocket, only the gun comes out.

But more importantly is what the gun is stoked with: Remember the old adage, Garbage In, Garbage Out. If you buy a great gun and stoke it with cheap ammo, it will give only sub-par performance when called upon. Save the cheap ammo for practice. When on the street, the only ammo that should be in the gun and your spare magazines should be Magtech First Defense, Hornady Critical Defense, Glaser Safety Slug, and Magssafe. These will run $2 to $4 per ROUND or $14 to $28 per magazine. Remember, this is your LIFE we're talking about here! These are the types of ammo that bring the .380 up to life-saving performance levels. Your snubbie .357 is losing a lot of its effectiveness with that short barrel but your still putting up with the muzzle flash, noise and recoil...why?

Finally, Review what ScottA said - he's dead on about everything, especially about the SP-101 and handling the .357 load. Also remember, this is just the gun you're starting with. When you add another gun later on, you can add a bigger Firearm which can become your primary carry and then this will be your backup or what you carry when you can only wear minimal clothes. It's a serious decision, but not one you're stuck with the rest of your life.
I didnt mean any disrespect nor did i mean to be dismissive. I was simply asking questions. I am familiar with shooting the .380 round in a Walther PPK, but like i said I wasnt sure that its a great self defense round. Whatever gun I purchase though I was planning on carrying premium rounds in it when I carry it. I have Federal Home defense rounds in my Glock .40 now adn they were $30 for 20 rounds. I recently began looking at the Smith and Wesson bodyguard line of handguns. I do like the Bodyguard .380 ACP. It comes with a built in laser, great sights and a 7 round mag. The bodyguard .38 revolver is nice also and i really like the ambidextrous cylinder release which alot dont like. I should be buying something this week, going to go to my local Cabela's in the morning and pricing a few.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:55 AM   #15
FAA licensed bugsmasher

Liked 2474 Times on 1326 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis_Prime View Post
I do like the Bodyguard .380 ACP. It comes with a built in laser, great sights and a 7 round mag.
It definitely has the best sights in its class, and they can be changed out it desired. I put a set of XS Big Dot sights on mine.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 08-01-2011, 08:51 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis_Prime View Post
The bodyguard .38 revolver is nice also and i really like the ambidextrous cylinder release which alot dont like. I should be buying something this week, going to go to my local Cabela's in the morning and pricing a few.
Ah, Ambidextrous! Any chance you're left-handed, or just preparing for firing off-handed? Also I agree with you all the way on the S&W, but I didn't think it would fit into your price point. If you can afford the S&W, by all means it's a great gun with the laser.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:34 PM   #17

The bodyguard .38 revolver is nice also and i really like the ambidextrous cylinder release which alot dont like. I should be buying something this week, going to go to my local Cabela's in the morning and pricing a few.[/QUOTE]

My vote is definately a revolver due to its simplicity which comes in handy in stressed situations. Really a point and shoot gun. I carry a sw model 10 .38 special 4 inch barrel at 12:30 and I love it. Im extremely confident with it even though I only have 6 rounds without my speedloader because I can drive nails with it. The issue is if u carry a revolver u have to practice because u dont have rounds to spare.

Having the burden and responsibility of carrying a firearm is well worth my family and love ones safety. I practice for them, and a well trained and prepared man with his love ones on his mind is the most dangerous man. - JJ

Old 08-10-2011, 05:40 AM   #18

I recently held and shot a Taurus 709 slim 9mm and I really, really like this little gun. the only complaint I have is that the trigger is really funky. I put about 50 rounds of American eagle fmj's through it and it felt really good and was reliable. I will be purchasing it soon, pretty damn impressed with it. anyone own or fired one that can supply some feedback other than what i know? Thanks everyone for your comments and help. you guys have been awesome.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:30 AM   #19

My vote is definately a revolver due to its simplicity which comes in handy in stressed situations. Really a point and shoot gun. I carry a sw model 10 .38 special 4 inch barrel at 12:30 and I love it. Im extremely confident with it even though I only have 6 rounds without my speedloader because I can drive nails with it. The issue is if u carry a revolver u have to practice because u dont have rounds to spare.

I have had CCW Permits for 43 years under 6 different Sheriffs here in Linn County, IA. Our new state-wide standardization of issuing criteria is a big plus for believers in the God given right of self-defense in that it doesn't leave it up to the arbitrary predilections and prejudices of any one of 99 Sheriffs in our 99 counties. Self-defense is now the only reason one needs to carry and I no longer need to carry $500 in cash to justify carrying a weapon for defending my life or that of others. I have always considered carrying concealed not just a right but a social responsibility ... to be able to defend my own life as well as those lives of people I love, and the lives of those who choose NOT to carry.

That said, I agree with your suggestion about carrying a revolver. My first carry weapon was a Charter Arms Undercover with a 2" barrel, easily concealed but an up-close-and-personal, short range weapon only that required constant practice to maintain efficiency and accuracy. The loud report from that snubby was a huge disadvantage in confined areas, and marginal accuracy at best made it obvious on reflection how lucky I was to have never had to fire it in a defensive situation in the 15 years I carried it. I must be a slow learner.

My follow-up was a S&W semi-auto .40 model 411 which I carried another 25 years. The 155 - 165 grain hollow points compare favorably to the .45 ACP in muzzle energy. I only drew it once in anger, dispatching a porcupine that had made a bad choice to invade our camp on vacation, threatening not only our dog but the pets of others as well. Safety was an issue with the exposed hammer which after firing gave it a hair trigger and required a conscious move to de-cock in order to secure it. The single/double action option was nice but ... again I'm a slow learner. Accuracy was improved but much practice was necessary to maintain the edge.

I sold that weapon with 3 mags and holster for $400 the same day I purchased my current pistol: a Springfield Armory XD-M .40, stainless over black. This is a weapon I have complete confidence in and have recommended to many others for home as well as personal defense. By external touch, even in the dark, you can tell if your weapon is loaded, has a round in the chamber and is cocked and ready to fire. No exposed hammer. Superb accuracy. 17 round capacity. Comes with two mags (I bought one more) and 3 different size grips easily changed to fit any hand. Pistol of the year in 2008. I paid $500 three years ago at Reed's Sporting Goods in Walker, MN.

I disagree with your apparent contention that less practice is necessary with a semi-auto than with a revolver, because with the extra capacity one can just throw lead. That's where the social responsibility issue comes in. Unless you can definitely hit what you're aiming at, instead of being a good guy defending himself, YOU become a threat to everything and everyone down range and, make no mistake, YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT HAPPENS WITH EVERY ROUND YOU TURN LOOSE! Here in Iowa, even if you are found innocent of criminal charges for firing in self-defense, you may be sued under a civil suit by the perp's relatives for wrongful death, or by anyone else you may have injured through reckless endangerment. You may win there, too, but go broke defending yourself in the process.

So, now our new fight in the legislature is to get a "Castle Doctrine" or "Stand Your Ground" bill passed into law. Everyone should check their local and state ordinances, and with their local police jurisdictions to find out what their limitations and responsibilities are, as well as under what circumstances they may be held liable. I really yearn for the days when things were more black and white. Although I think if someone is attempting to take your life, you have the right to use force up to and including taking his, the reality is that it may cost you all you have.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:50 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty's Advocate View Post
I disagree with your apparent contention that less practice is necessary with a semi-auto than with a revolver, because with the extra capacity one can just throw lead. That's where the social responsibility issue comes in. Unless you can definitely hit what you're aiming at, instead of being a good guy defending himself, YOU become a threat to everything and everyone down range and, make no mistake, YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT HAPPENS WITH EVERY ROUND YOU TURN LOOSE! Here in Iowa, even if you are found innocent of criminal charges for firing in self-defense, you may be sued under a civil suit by the perp's relatives for wrongful death, or by anyone else you may have injured through reckless endangerment. You may win there, too, but go broke defending yourself in the process.
L.A. has this one right! Everyone that owns a gun knows how to put lead downrange and pierce holes in the paper; If you didn't, you couldn't get your CCW. This does NOT make you a good shooter.

With you back turned, or being completely away from the area, Have a friend put up 6 or 7 IPSC or Paladin cardboard targets on 2X2 posts and throw a T-shirt, blouse, dress shirt, jacket or other regular clothing over each one. Pin in place if it won't stay. Then place a knife and a gun on two targets at random. On the others, place random items, like a black comb, a badge, cell phone, a hair dryer, a toy water pistol (black with a little orange end is best), whatever someone might be using in public and a shooter might have to differentiate between.

Now have the friend bring the shooter to the scene blindfolded and turn his back to it. Remove blindfold. Hit shooting timer and buzzer signal to begin. You can run this drill with multiple friends and see who gets the best time. If you shoot an unarmed target, you can count it as +10 seconds, but we always counted it as DEAD and you were disqualified. ADVANCED: Put a gun on the target wearing the badge - they have to shoot the two targets without the badge and NOT engage the officer. There are dozens of tricks like this to test people who *think* they're perfect.

This is just one example of shoot/no shoot that turns you into a fast, reliable, responsible shooter. It takes just a little more time than going to the range and it improves your skills tenfold. This is real education. Plus, you don't even have to be creative. The magazine Combat Handguns has these scenarios pulled from real life situations almost every month! The targets, the distances, the furniture and vehicles, everything to re-create the Hell the exact way it happened the first time it went down.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)