Need help deciding - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Need help deciding

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 02:00 AM   #11
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2137 Times on 1160 Posts
Likes Given: 771

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin125 View Post
The kahr and the ruger are what I'm between. The kahr seems to have a really stiff slide probably due to the recoil spring so I've always been Leary of the slide not cycling al the way and with the ruger I shoot left handed so the safety might be a pain unless I just kept it off
I carry a Kahr PM9; it's very similar to the CM9 with a few upgrades. The spring is stiff, but I've never had any problems with cycling. When I bought it, I went to the range and put 200 rounds through it. It does loosen up some. My recommendation would be the Kahr over the Ruger. The trigger on the Kahr is like butter.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 11-18-2013, 02:47 AM   #12

Liked 268 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin125 View Post
The kahr and the ruger are what I'm between. The kahr seems to have a really stiff slide probably due to the recoil spring so I've always been Leary of the slide not cycling al the way and with the ruger I shoot left handed so the safety might be a pain unless I just kept it off
My brother in law has the Kahr. When he first got it he could barely pull the slide back. He called Kahr and they told him to push it against the side of the table to pull it back and after shooting a few magazines it will loosen up.
It did. But the gun is light and if you don't have a firm grip on it, it may fail to cycle properly....at least that is his and my experience. Also the Kahr I believe does not have steel slides on the frame. The resulting wear give the slide a bit of slop, which makes it easier to rack but also makes it a bit loose. His rattles. Not being a target pistol, the slop is acceptable..but I'm just making you aware of it.

Never waste time deciding between two guns....buy both of them.

Last edited by Missouribound; 11-18-2013 at 03:15 AM.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:14 AM   #13

Liked 15 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I love my SR40C. If I ever decide on a carry 9mm. I would not hesitate to go with the SR9C. I have never shot the Kahr but the trigger on the SR are very smooth and easy to tell where the reset is at.

Old 11-18-2013, 04:46 AM   #14

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I was between those two also, went with ruger because it was a little cheaper. The ruger does have a long trigger pull so it might not be too big of deal not being able to flip the safety on/off. Either way people swear by both guns.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:30 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

I rented a LC9 and a PM9 (I think that was it - I always forget which Kahr is which). Wasn't really impressed with either. I preferred the feel of the Kahr in my hand but it beat me up pretty bad when I shot it.

Out of what you posted, I like the Sig P938 (is that the Sig you were referred to?) the most, although I've never shot it.

Always have clean socks.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #16
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3160 Times on 2147 Posts
Likes Given: 685

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357
I rented a LC9 and a PM9 (I think that was it - I always forget which Kahr is which). Wasn't really impressed with either. I preferred the feel of the Kahr in my hand but it beat me up pretty bad when I shot it. Out of what you posted, I like the Sig P938 (is that the Sig you were referred to?) the most, although I've never shot it.
Was talking to my Friend, The Sr. RSO at our range, who also happens to be one of the Two 'smiths there(and also a Fmr. Marine E7). when I asked him about "compensating" smaller Autos, he felt it wouldn't make much difference. So any of the Smaller 9's are going to Knock you around. MY wife Made some Progress tho...she wants to try larger autos now...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 11-18-2013, 02:06 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball
Was talking to my Friend, The Sr. RSO at our range, who also happens to be one of the Two 'smiths there(and also a Fmr. Marine E7). when I asked him about "compensating" smaller Autos, he felt it wouldn't make much difference. So any of the Smaller 9's are going to Knock you around. MY wife Made some Progress tho...she wants to try larger autos now...
Well yeah but my wife's hand was actually bruised after the Kahr. I don't mind recoil, but bruising?

Anyway I'm hoping the P938 is more ergonomic when shooting.

Always have clean socks.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:30 PM   #18
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
Well yeah but my wife's hand was actually bruised after the Kahr. I don't mind recoil, but bruising?

Anyway I'm hoping the P938 is more ergonomic when shooting.
Wear gloves when practicing. It's a carry piece, not a range gun.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato

Join the NRA

Old 11-18-2013, 03:33 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post

Wear gloves when practicing. It's a carry piece, not a range gun.
So is my M&P9c. Not a pocket gun but a carry piece none-the-less. It doesn't beat either of us up.

I don't enjoy NOT shooting my guns. Any weapon I'm going to carry I will develop familiarity and mastery of said weapon. And I will maintain that proficiency. So I don't buy into the whole argument of not shooting a carry piece.

Always have clean socks.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #20
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
So is my M&P9c. Not a pocket gun but a carry piece none-the-less. It doesn't beat either of us up.

I don't enjoy NOT shooting my guns. Any weapon I'm going to carry I will develop familiarity and mastery of said weapon. And I will maintain that proficiency. So I don't buy into the whole argument of not shooting a carry piece.
I'm not advocating not practicing. You give up comfort as you reduce weight and size. The laws of physics apply and there's just no way around it. If you want to carry the smallest form factor available, then there are fixes you can use to make practicing with it more comfortable.

I'm sure the M&P9c is a great gun and probably more comfortable to shoot than my Kahr. But a double stack just is not as comfortable for me to carry.

Everything in firearms is a trade off. Otherwise, I'd carry my 1911 all the time.

Scott

Quote:
Quote:

Join the NRA