Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Need a good handgun safe I can easily access during the night if needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2010, 12:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need a good handgun safe I can easily access during the night if needed

I don't know if this is in the correct thread category, so please bear with me. I am looking for a handgun safe to keep on the night stand that can be quickly and easily accessed if needed. Ever since my 12 year old daughter was a toddler, my wife and I haven't had any guns which are not kept in the safe downstairs. I feel better if I know I have a chance of protecting my family, should the situation present itself. The only thing I have now is a hickory stick under my side of the bed. Does anyone know of a handgun safe that is actually accessible very quickly, yet will still keep my 12 year old daughter out for her safety. I am teaching her the basics of firearms safety and she has been shooting with me at the range, but I still can't trust her to handle a handgun. She still hasn't shot a handgun. Hope to teach her soon. I would like to be able to protect my family, but would rather die than risk anything happening to my daughter if she got a hold of my revolver and accidently shot herself. Thanks in advance for any advice.

"Sure I wave the American flag. Do you know a better flag to wave? Sure I love my country with all her faults. I'm not ashamed of that, never have been, never will be." John Wayne

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-29-2010, 12:51 AM   #2

Default Sorry Everyone...Just Found Related Threads

Sorry to waste everyone's time. I just found the threads related to handgun safes. I am relatively new to the forum and will investigate a little more before posting questions in the future.

"Sure I wave the American flag. Do you know a better flag to wave? Sure I love my country with all her faults. I'm not ashamed of that, never have been, never will be." John Wayne

Old 11-29-2010, 01:09 AM   #3
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6944 Times on 4177 Posts
Likes Given: 8349

No problem. I have a Gun Vault. Keyed and touch pad. I feel it is quite safe. It is battery powered and will alarm you when the batteries are getting low so it will open even in a power failure. I keep the keys in the lock box in the bank so no one can come across them in the house.

Multi-Gun Safes From GunVault

Old 12-01-2010, 09:22 PM   #4

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Here's what I have.

Link: FAS1 SAFE, LLC

Glenn
FAS1SAFE

Old 12-11-2010, 02:29 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I mounted a finger touch lock, single gun safe to the back of my nightstand. It is out of the way, out of sight, and the exact level that I naturally reach for. It did not require any practice to enter, since the position is natural. The door opens toward the bed, against the nightstand, and it is naturally in the right hand for use.

Just my 2 cents...

Old 12-15-2010, 10:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
No problem. I have a Gun Vault. Keyed and touch pad. I feel it is quite safe. It is battery powered and will alarm you when the batteries are getting low so it will open even in a power failure. I keep the keys in the lock box in the bank so no one can come across them in the house.

Multi-Gun Safes From GunVault
This is what I have also.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:59 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just keep in mind that gun vaults are not high security containers. A prying screwdriver will gain access. However you would know due to the telltale signs. If they made a heavier duty model I would probably buy it to replace mine. Make sure it as cabled to a heavy object to avoid someone just carrying it away and opening it on their own time. The best defense for a gun vault is to make it as inconspicuous as possible, hidden when not needed. If I got a good one, I would probably put a brick in this one just to act as a decoy. Typical burglaries are not planned or executed by professionals. Any thing to slow them down or frustrate them will work in your favor. Gun vaults should be 8 gauge steel, or 1/4" plate, but instead are typically 12 gauge or thinner. Mounting one with a cable works in your favor because they are not fixed and provide little leverage to work against.

They had a TV show about a burglar that would break into home to demonstrate how easily he could find valuable items. But apparently people are creatures of habit, and not very good at hiding things. You know no one would ever look in your shoes for a wallet or valuables on the beach...

Last edited by IXLR8; 12-16-2010 at 12:07 AM.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:02 AM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1798 Times on 979 Posts
Likes Given: 556

The Havasu FNRA Committee picked this one to raffle at the upcomming local gun show. Model 33013. I believe they are really just to keep kids out.
ADG Sports

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 12-16-2010, 02:29 AM   #9

We've got a couple of these in our bedroom:

Titan Gun Vault

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation

Old 12-17-2010, 02:07 PM   #10

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXLR8 View Post
Just keep in mind that gun vaults are not high security containers. A prying screwdriver will gain access. However you would know due to the telltale signs. If they made a heavier duty model I would probably buy it to replace mine. Make sure it as cabled to a heavy object to avoid someone just carrying it away and opening it on their own time. The best defense for a gun vault is to make it as inconspicuous as possible, hidden when not needed. If I got a good one, I would probably put a brick in this one just to act as a decoy. Typical burglaries are not planned or executed by professionals. Any thing to slow them down or frustrate them will work in your favor. Gun vaults should be 8 gauge steel, or 1/4" plate, but instead are typically 12 gauge or thinner. Mounting one with a cable works in your favor because they are not fixed and provide little leverage to work against.

They had a TV show about a burglar that would break into home to demonstrate how easily he could find valuable items. But apparently people are creatures of habit, and not very good at hiding things. You know no one would ever look in your shoes for a wallet or valuables on the beach...
I agree that a screwdriver will get into most handgun boxes with relative ease since the most common ones are only constructed of 16GA material. Not all that are available are made this flimsy. Mine is 3/16" (7GA) and it does make a big difference as it wont deform near as easy. Just look at the physical weight of the different ones available.

As far as the cable goes, a multi-tool or wire cutters will cut that cable in about 1 second. I saw online this morning where a guy had his gun stolen that was locked in a small box with a cable. He said they cut the cable with a knife!

Glenn
FAS1SAFE