Need advice - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Need advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

O
I get that you shouldn't be telling people this, but it's a while in the future. I just needed the advice because I fear for my safety and those who I'm with more often then I care to admit. Mainly because of the area in which I go to college is in a bad neighborohood. A friend of mine was mugged the other day and another friend was almost raped. I also admit that I don't know much on this subject so that's why I need advice.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1866 Times on 1093 Posts
Likes Given: 885

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvah07 View Post
Hey everybody, I'm a 20 year old college student living in PA and I have two problems that I hope you can help me solve. A few weeks ago while I was walking back from a local food store I was mugged and I was hurt pretty badly (broken arm, 2 broken ribs, dislocated knee, and a concussion). I know that I'm not legally allowed to carry a hand gun yet but my 21st birthday is in a few months, which brings me to my problem. After this incident I want to apply for my concealed carry permit, which is the easy part. The hard part is deciding on what type of handgun to buy. I know that I want something that's small enough that you won't really be able to tell I'm carrying but large enough to be accurate at 30 ft. I also don't want a hand cannon.

My second problem is that my mom has a irrational fear guns and this wouldn't be a problem if I wasn't a commuter student. After I was mugged i told my mom I wanted to but a gun on my 21st birthday and she told that if I bought a gun, she would kick me out. I need help winning her over and proving to her that this is something I need.
Prejudice is based on ignorance, thus the only cure for it is education. I don't know what your mothers 'ignorance' is based on so I can't tell you just how to try and approach her. If she is simply a person who had been indoctrinated by the progressives and she has any respect for your 'rights' and feelings you may have a chance. But if her ignorance is based on a negative experience with 'guns' in her past it will be harder to educate her properly.
As to what PPD to get, the small 5 shot 38 SP is about as good as it gets for your environment.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 03-11-2013 at 07:36 PM.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:36 PM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I get that you shouldn't be telling people this, but it's a while in the future. I just needed the advice because I fear for my safety and those who I'm with more often then I care to admit. Mainly because of the area in which I go to college is in a bad neighborohood. A friend of mine was mugged the other day and another friend was almost raped. I also admit that I don't know much on this subject so that's why I need advice. In my state you can be 18 to own a handgun, but you must have a parent sign off that they will be responsible and make sure you know how to use it safely. Otherwise you have to be 21.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:42 PM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau

Prejudice is based on ignorance, thus the only cure for it is education. I don't know what your mothers 'ignorance' is based on so I can't tell you just how to try and approach her. If she is simply a person who had been indoctrinated by the progressives and she has any respect for your 'rights' and feelings you may have a chance. But if her ignorance is based on a negative experience with 'guns' in her past it will be harder to educate her properly.
As to what PPD to get, the small 5 shot 38 SP is about as good as it gets for your environment.
My mom grew up in the city when she was until she was 14. I don't understand why she would be afarid because her father, uncle, and brother were or still are rifle hunters. I'm not sure if she did have a negative experence at somepoint or another but it just doesn't logically make sense to me. I have asked her several times as to why she is so afarid and she never tells me.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:47 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1866 Times on 1093 Posts
Likes Given: 885

Quote:
My mom grew up in the city when she was until she was 14. I don't understand why she would be afarid because her father, uncle, and brother were or still are rifle hunters. I'm not sure if she did have a negative experence at somepoint or another but it just doesn't logically make sense to me. I have asked her several times as to why she is so afarid and she never tells me.
I guess I would approach it by explaining how helpless you felt as a victim and how you NEVER want to be there again. Secondly explain to her how close you came to being killed because you were TOTALLY at their mercy. The only way to have any hope of this never happening again is to have a Personal Protection Device (hand gun) on your person. I don't have any idea how to get her to 'open up' to you though.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 03-11-2013, 10:31 PM   #26
Table of Warriors prospect
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6766 Times on 3697 Posts
Likes Given: 13343

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B22wLsy YEkTOMDU4MjJlNTktOTRlZi00NTJkLWE0MGMtZmEwNGFlMWE3Z Dlm&hl=en_US
Man that link got long. This site compares a lot of popular concealed carry guns and shows sizes, caliber, and weight.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 03-20-2013, 12:11 AM   #27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPatton
As for the weapon itself, what's your budget?
I have a pretty nice chunk of money that I inherited (for ****s and giggles will say it's more then $2,000). I really would like to keep it under 1k, but if the right ccw for me just happens to cost more, than that's no problem.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:40 AM   #28

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have recieve a few pm's asking "if the area is so bad than why not just move/transfer to a different school?". The quick and simple answer is that I can't move because if I do I will lose my $2,500 security deposit, and I can't transfer because the scholarships I have are only good for my current school. All together if I was to move and transfer to a different school tommorow for just one semister I would be out at least $5,000, but if my supper decides to be a jerk and the school stiffes me I could be out $10,000 or more. This doesn't include the finical burden it would put on my girlfriend (who lives with me and we split the cost's) and my parents who co-signed for the apartment (it would really hurt they're credit score).

To the gramar Nazi's out there (you know who you are) please stop trying to correct every single mistake I make. I just had my cast removed a few weeks ago and it's been really hard for me to type. So I ask these people to stop because you're making my life mpre difficult than it need to be. If you can't stop correcting my grammar then stop following this thread.

Now with that rant out of the way I will ask that if you're advice is irrelevant, please don't post it or pm it to me. I don't have the time to respond to every message people send me (I get quite a few in a week) and I want to be able to thank the people who give solid advice.

With that being said, thank you to everybody who has replied to this thread or sent me a get well pm. You guys and girls have been making both my physical and mental recovery a whole lot easier.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:18 AM   #29

Liked 1116 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 49

This advice has been given multiple times on numerous threads . . . because it's good advice. Before you decide on a gun, go to a gun range that rents guns, and try several makes and models. Go to a gun show, or a gun shop, and handle several, see how they feel. See if there is one that "sings" to you.

My advice would be something along the lines of a medium frame .357 (Smith, Colt, or Ruger) revolver with a 2.5" - 3" barrel, but carry .38 plus P for self defense.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:39 AM   #30

Liked 268 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
I have a pretty nice chunk of money that I inherited (for ****s and giggles will say it's more then $2,000). I really would like to keep it under 1k, but if the right ccw for me just happens to cost more, than that's no problem.
For under a $1000 you can most likely get a couple of guns that would be suitable for CCW use. Whatever you decide, take the time to practice as often as possible. A CCW gun is useless if you don't know it like the back of your hand.