Need advice - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Need advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 11:43 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Also, there so happens to be one in the classified sections
http://www.firearmstalk.com/classifieds/sig-sauer-p938-9mm-149.html

Old 03-03-2013, 05:39 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

You want something for close-quarters self-defense Stats are most gunfights happen within a 7 foot distance.Up close and personal. It would be a super rare event to have to defend against a person at the distances you suggest 25 30 ft.

Stopping power can be debated by folks but my opinion for whatever its worth, is shot placement matters most. A 22 can be deadly. I prefer 9mm,45cal,38cal,357cal. But any firearm is better than none.

Then start saving up for more and more classes.Train train train.Practice practice practice.Learning wil never end.

If your mom doesnt understand how you feel that you never want to face an attacker again unarmed because next time could be your life, then there isnt much you can do but move out.

Stay safe and keep training

Old 03-03-2013, 06:08 PM   #13

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I like the S&W 637 Airweight for a small and easy to hide handgun. It's so light that you hardly notice it after a few minutes and it can use +P loads.

As for Mom That's not something anyone can answer honestly.
danf_fl had as close to perfect advice I cold think of. Get the training and show her the cert. But I don't think it will matter. People with the gun fear are irrational about said fear many times and no amount of talking, training, anything will change their minds. You may have to move out or wait. I would NOT try to bring a handgun in and sneak it by Mom. It is her house after all.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:41 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks everybody for the great advice, I am currently looking at classes in my area. Several people had mentioned that I shouldn't worry about distance but I unfortunately have to worry about distance because I just accepted a job in a very high black bear area in Upstate NY. When I get up there I am going supposed to be able to be able to borrow either 20 gauge shotgun or .223 bolt rifle from the group I'm going to be working with and while I'm in the field. However I can't exactly fit a long-gun into my sleeping bag. Any more advice?

Old 03-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #15

Liked 1244 Times on 809 Posts
Likes Given: 792

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvah07 View Post
Thanks everybody for the great advice, I am currently looking at classes in my area. Several people had mentioned that I shouldn't worry about distance but I unfortunately have to worry about distance because I just accepted a job in a very high black bear area in Upstate NY. When I get up there I am going supposed to be able to be able to borrow either 20 gauge shotgun or .223 bolt rifle from the group I'm going to be working with and while I'm in the field. However I can't exactly fit a long-gun into my sleeping bag. Any more advice?
if your going to have a pistol in NYS you need to get a NYS pistol permit. which means you have to be a resident of NYS. if your only visiting or temporily working all you can legally have is a rifle or shotgun. try to get an 18in shotty, or maybe a short lever action in 44 mag or larger.

ive slept with my m16 in my sleeping bag and it was a mummy bag. im sure you can fit one of theses other rifles in with you as well

i would not want to use a .223 on a upset black bear. unless you had 30 rounds of it.
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:27 PM   #16

Liked 110 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvah07 View Post
I tried both the LCP and LCR before this incident and I wasn't really impressed, I felt that that the LCP didn't have the power and didn't have the best accuracy at more than 15 feet. While the LCR does have much better power, I don't really how the short barel is thrown off by the kick of a .357 round. I did shoot a Berreta 92 and loved it. I guess it isn't all that conciliable though.
Try a beretta px4 storm. They are pretty good.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:25 AM   #17

Liked 275 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 55

[QUOTE=Rvah07;1125475]

After I was mugged i told my mom I wanted to but a gun on my 21st birthday I QUOTE]

WEll you borke the first rule of concealed carry..."KEEP IT TO YOURSELF"
I'd consider a Bersa Thunder, a LCP or some other pocket pistol if you don't want to wear a holster that could be seen. There are some holsters that allow you to tuck your shirt in, and I'm currently waiting for it so I can't tell you how it works just yet. I myself have intentions of buying the Bersa....but that's a way off. But let me ask you this. In the situation you described, would having a gun been something that would have prevented it? If you were unaware of the threat and got attacked while carrying, would you have been able to pull the gun and stop the beating or would the attackers have taken it away from you? Pulling a gun on anyone can change your life....are you ready for that? (and I just looked at the application....are you sure you have to be 21? I read 18 on the form)

Last edited by Missouribound; 03-10-2013 at 03:39 AM.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #18

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvah07
I tried both the LCP and LCR before this incident and I wasn't really impressed, I felt that that the LCP didn't have the power and didn't have the best accuracy at more than 15 feet. While the LCR does have much better power, I don't really how the short barel is thrown off by the kick of a .357 round. I did shoot a Berreta 92 and loved it. I guess it isn't all that conciliable though.
Both of these guns are designed as "pocket pistols" which by their nature tend to trade off power and/or accuracy for conceal ability. If you are not happy with either you might look at a single-stack 9mm or a small frame revolver with a 3-inch barrel, either of which should be a step up.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #19

Liked 3617 Times on 2066 Posts
Likes Given: 2518

If you're going to be in NYS bear country, get a cannister of Guard Alaska, bear repellent and carry a good high lumen tactical flashlight.. Use a shotgun, only if you can have it 24/7 or you can secure it when you cannot carry it.

For those times you're in public/urban environments, carry a good tactical knife, your flashlight and a small cannister of pepper spray. A conviction for illegally carrying firearms will make it damn near impossuble to get a ccw in the future.

Don't forget to check with your employer for their policy on personal defense items.

When the time is right for you to purchase and own a pistol, do so, make certain that you always handle it safely, train with it regularly and can secure it properly. Good luck & never give up.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:25 PM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1

if your going to have a pistol in NYS you need to get a NYS pistol permit. which means you have to be a resident of NYS. if your only visiting or temporily working all you can legally have is a rifle or shotgun. try to get an 18in shotty, or maybe a short lever action in 44 mag or larger.

ive slept with my m16 in my sleeping bag and it was a mummy bag. im sure you can fit one of theses other rifles in with you as well

i would not want to use a .223 on a upset black bear. unless you had 30 rounds of it.
Yeah I was thinking the 20 guage would be better but I wasn't sure. I was thinking of barrowing my little cousins's youth 20 gauge (I'm only 5'9" after all) and I think it's about 18. I just not to sure how I could go about transporting the thing leagaly. I live in PA and am going to have to drive up to the site.