Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Need advice (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/need-advice-83491/)

Rvah07 02-05-2013 09:58 PM

Need advice

Hey everybody, I'm a 20 year old college student living in PA and I have two problems that I hope you can help me solve. A few weeks ago while I was walking back from a local food store I was mugged and I was hurt pretty badly (broken arm, 2 broken ribs, dislocated knee, and a concussion). I know that I'm not legally allowed to carry a hand gun yet but my 21st birthday is in a few months, which brings me to my problem. After this incident I want to apply for my concealed carry permit, which is the easy part. The hard part is deciding on what type of handgun to buy. I know that I want something that's small enough that you won't really be able to tell I'm carrying but large enough to be accurate at 30 ft. I also don't want a hand cannon.

My second problem is that my mom has a irrational fear guns and this wouldn't be a problem if I wasn't a commuter student. After I was mugged i told my mom I wanted to but a gun on my 21st birthday and she told that if I bought a gun, she would kick me out. I need help winning her over and proving to her that this is something I need.

BeyondTheBox 02-05-2013 10:05 PM

Can't help with mom other than hire someone to mug her and hope she isn't a lost cause. That was not serious by the way.

As for fun, get to know them then you won't have to ask. Other than that, check out the Ruger lcp & lc9. The keltec line. The Taurus pt709 slim.

cgersty 02-05-2013 10:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A smaller revolver would be ideal in 357, you can shoot 38 spcl in it and its not a hand cannon too bad, as far as winning over your mom, I was raised on a farm where guns are common, so i have no suggestions on that, maybe take her to the range, or ccw class so she can see how you handle it safely?

This will be my ccw when Illinois joins the rest of the union and allows it, sw model 60 38 spcl.

Attachment 83727

jjfuller1 02-05-2013 10:14 PM

welcome aboard. sorry to hear about your incident. im glad you are okay and ahave decided that a firearms is what you need. there are alot of firearms that fit your current needs. too many to list buts heres a few. ruger sr22, ruger sr9c, S & W MP compact. ruger LCR22, LCR .38, XD sub compact, ruger lc9... etc etc i would suggest asking friends or finding range that lets you rent fire arms.. if a caliber seems to be too much recoil its okay to go smaller. 5 hits with a .22 is better than no hits with a 9mm. try to find on ethat you can hold comfortably, and shoot reasonable. with a .22 you will get lots more practice time than say with a .45 simply due to cost of ammo. IMHO, the more practice the better.

as far as mom goes. continue to sight facts to her about firearms. if you not getting mugged isnt convincing her i doubt much will. just try your best. when it comes time to buy.. BUY, its your life. and its concealed for a reason... nobody should know you have it.

danf_fl 02-05-2013 10:16 PM

Get some training and show mom the certificate.

Remember that just having a handgun will not protect you, but also knowing how and when to use it will help.
There are courses out there to help you identify possible "problems".
The big thing is situation awareness. Develop that and you will see the world in a different manner than today (or before your mugging).

Rvah07 02-05-2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl

Remember that just having a handgun will not protect you, but also knowing how and when to use it will help.
The big thing is situation awareness. Develop that and you will see the world in a different manner than today (or before your mugging).

I normally do have good situation awareness, but I had heard a girls screaming. When I found her she was laying on the ground, when I asked if she was alright is when I was hit. I don't think she was involved and neither do the local police.

Rvah07 02-05-2013 10:56 PM

I tried both the LCP and LCR before this incident and I wasn't really impressed, I felt that that the LCP didn't have the power and didn't have the best accuracy at more than 15 feet. While the LCR does have much better power, I don't really how the short barel is thrown off by the kick of a .357 round. I did shoot a Berreta 92 and loved it. I guess it isn't all that conciliable though.

SigArmored 02-05-2013 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 1125502)

I agree with this take a cc course or two while looking into what you want.Training may help you with you're needs in a way of knowing what you want in you're ccw.

BeyondTheBox 02-05-2013 11:04 PM

Beretta 92 concealable, not for me. LCR 357 kick, yeah! LCP inaccurate, always, but wimpy, hardly.

Okay, take a look at the Bersa Thunder Pro carry 9mm. Bang for buck it rocks! Is concealable and is of a decent defensive caliber.

Taurus pt709 slim still a contender as well. 9mm small package good trigger.

Kahr CM9, best DAO trigger I've ever experienced and solidly built gun, but no manual safety ain't for me.

GeneralPatton 02-05-2013 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rvah07 (Post 1125475)
Hey everybody, I'm a 20 year old college student living in PA and I have two problems that I hope you can help me solve. A few weeks ago while I was walking back from a local food store I was mugged and I was hurt pretty badly (broken arm, 2 broken ribs, dislocated knee, and a concussion). I know that I'm not legally allowed to carry a hand gun yet but my 21st birthday is in a few months, which brings me to my problem. After this incident I want to apply for my concealed carry permit, which is the easy part. The hard part is deciding on what type of handgun to buy. I know that I want something that's small enough that you won't really be able to tell I'm carrying but large enough to be accurate at 30 ft. I also don't want a hand cannon.

My second problem is that my mom has a irrational fear guns and this wouldn't be a problem if I wasn't a commuter student. After I was mugged i told my mom I wanted to but a gun on my 21st birthday and she told that if I bought a gun, she would kick me out. I need help winning her over and proving to her that this is something I need.

Take the class, show your mom the certificate before you buy. See if that gains you any ground. If not, you'll simply have to take your chances with concealing it from her, or move out. I'd rather move out and carry than live on without.
You do need to remember that simply carrying a gun doesn't protect you. Knowing that you can pull it and use it is 9/10's of the solution, with the last 1/10th being getting it. Once you get it, read and learn Colonel Coopers Mindset and technique. Some people will say that his technique is dated and blah blah, however the Military still uses a very similar system. Here's a little excert on his info on your mental state:

"Mental Conditions
White: Unaware and unprepared. If attacked in Condition White, the only thing that may save you is the inadequacy or ineptitude of your attacker. When confronted by something nasty, your reaction will probably be "Oh my God! This can't be happening to me."
Yellow: Relaxed alert. No specific threat situation. Your mindset is that "today could be the day I may have to defend myself". You are simply aware that the world is a potentially unfriendly place and that you are prepared to defend yourself, if necessary. You use your eyes and ears, and realize that "I may have to shoot today". You don't have to be armed in this state, but if you are armed you should be in Condition Yellow. You should always be in Yellow whenever you are in unfamiliar surroundings or among people you don't know. You can remain in Yellow for long periods, as long as you are able to "Watch your six." (In aviation 12 o'clock refers to the direction in front of the aircraft's nose. Six o'clock is the blind spot behind the pilot.) In Yellow, you are "taking in" surrounding information in a relaxed but alert manner, like a continuous 360 degree radar sweep. As Cooper put it, "I might have to shoot."
Orange: Specific alert. Something is not quite right and has your attention. Your radar has picked up a specific alert. You shift your primary focus to determine if there is a threat (but you do not drop your six). Your mindset shifts to "I may have to shoot that person today", focusing on the specific target which has caused the escalation in alert status. In Condition Orange, you set a mental trigger: "If that person does "X", I will need to stop them". Your pistol usually remains holstered in this state. Staying in Orange can be a bit of a mental strain, but you can stay in it for as long as you need to. If the threat proves to be nothing, you shift back to Condition Yellow.
Red: Condition Red is fight. Your mental trigger (established back in Condition Orange) has been tripped. "If 'X' happens I will shoot that person".

As for the weapon itself, what's your budget? Sig makes a great 9mm and .380 carry weapon in the P938 and P238 (as well as the P239) They are a little more pricey though, starting around $550